Questioning Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Firstly you say “the only thing he’s achieved is more consistent CL” like that’s a minor thing. It isn’t, it’s massive, not just for us positively, but for our direct competitors who we’ve usurped, negatively, every time we’ve done it.

Secondly, I don’t think he had a much better team either. Redknapp has the same fullbacks available to him, Gallas and King, Modric, Parker, Palacios, Sandro as CM’s, VDV, Bale, Adebayor.

And more importantly, as much as I’ve got some issues recently with him, Pochettino got us, through proper coaching, consistently playing a brand of football, made us a cohesive team with and without the ball, introduced some bollocks collectively, improved players, gave us an identity.

Now, I definitely think he’s lost his way a bit lately, and I’ve been heavily critical of him, but as coaches, Pochettino absolutely pisses Redknapp.
you are critical of everything about the club because you are a monstrously arrogant cockwomble who thinks he knows everything.
But the reality is that you are just a jargon generator who spews stats like sewage and has no idea of what he sees on the pitch.

I'd rather read mindblowns used toilet paper than the crap you serve.

Apart from that, you are bang on the nail

The squad is now in need of such drastic surgery that the window of opportunity to win the league has surely passed us by. It's a tragedy.

Bad timing.... Life being a bitch.... The flipside of Sp***y if you will.

Doing better than expected yet still bringing a pang of regret.

Buy those 2 extra star players like Liverpool did this year, stay at WHL another year and we likely win the league that year . Sadly as we know, our eggs were already committed to another basket..... 2 years of Wembley hire and associated loss of revenue alone would have covered much of the necessary trf fees.

That said Harry's last season also felt like a 'missed one off chance for glory' yet here we are discussing similar....

Who's to say... Maybe our trf window goes well and we refind our mojo next year.... We still have a fair few coveted players in our ranks and despite our dips this year; much could be attributed to 'error' and still (as good as some oppo are held up to be) no-ones given us a pasting. Minute by minute we've barely had more than a 1 goal deficite all season.

Levy booted Harry Rednapp when his coy flirting with the England job threw away a 10 point lead and CL with it, I'm not sure why anyone would think Poch is bulletproof from the same treatment after fluttering his eyes at Utd and Madrid .

Literally no-one has said he's bulletproof.

Harry was accused of attempting to recruit his new #2 during one of our games ffs!

Vs

Poch saying "anything iz possible in football now can we get back to taking about our next game"

....Levels? :sonhmm:

Firstly you say “the only thing he’s achieved is more consistent CL” like that’s a minor thing. It isn’t, it’s massive, not just for us positively, but for our direct competitors who we’ve usurped, negatively, every time we’ve done it.

Secondly, I don’t think he had a much better team either. Redknapp has the same fullbacks available to him, Gallas and King, Modric, Parker, Palacios, Sandro as CM’s, VDV, Bale, Adebayor.

And more importantly, as much as I’ve got some issues recently with him, Pochettino got us, through proper coaching, consistently playing a brand of football, made us a cohesive team with and without the ball, introduced some bollocks collectively, improved players, gave us an identity.

Now, I definitely think he’s lost his way a bit lately, and I’ve been heavily critical of him, but as coaches, Pochettino absolutely pisses Redknapp.

I didn’t say it was a minor thing - but it is no where as an impressive feat that it would have been a decade ago.

United have been a complete disaster since Ferguson left, Woolwich’s board have allowed them to steadily decline each year, Liverpool have only just recovered from their recent decline and Chelsea are quintessential yo yo club. The only club to show any modicum of consistency is City. And let’s not forget that we have had a superior group of players than most of those aforementioned sides in that time.

And this team is vastly better to the one Redknapp had Just compare it to the 09/10 season. Our strikers consisted of Defoe and Crouch ( who was a main striker for most of that CL campaign) And the full backs aren’t the same - Ekotto was our left back for most of that period and Corluka was our right back for a large part. Walker and Rose’s careers were in their infancy - with the latter only being moved to left back at the end of Redknapp’s reign. Palacios was absolute garbage who dined of 3-4 good early performances and Adebayor had 1 loan spell under him.

The squads are simply not comparable - we are far more stronger than we were then. And I don’t see how anyone can claim Pochettinho pisses over Redknapp when their achievements at the club are relatively comparable. Both should have achieved silverware with the players they had but both squandered it due to combination of ignorance towards the tournaments that represented our best opportunity and due to their own personal limitations.

In managerial terms, his career curve is comparable to that of a 21/22 yr old with mega potential that has done extremely since arriving.... Do we flog Dele off the first season his numbers dip to par?

I love this nonsense - the whole young manager/ potential is absolutely laughable and entirely predictable level of drivel from a poster like you.

Pochettinho is 47, he has been a manager for a decade . He is the same age as Unai Emery, 1 year younger than Guardiola and Simeone. Absolutely no one considers those managers as up young up and coming managers who careers are ahead of them.

To draw a comparison with a 21/22 player is one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here in a while. Well done.

Ultimately i dont believe Poch is beyond reproach.

Question:

Would sacking Poch for not getting top 4 be little more than a modern footballing cliche?

Sacking the guy for not having us punching above our weight for the first time in 5 years isn't something i'm particularly comfortable with.... Esp. with the trials presented to us this year in term of trfs, stadium and chronic injuries.

In managerial terms, his career curve is comparable to that of a 21/22 yr old with mega potential that has done extremely since arriving.... Do we flog Dele off the first season his numbers dip to par?

Does Poch's track record of steadily improving us afford him NO grace?

As a season's analysis of course it does.

If however you look at it from the Burnley game it might be a different answer.

Again, was it Pochettino or Levy who decided that we should not strengthen at all in January and if Pochettino, would that count against him in terms of judgement?

My hope and inclination is that we see what next season brings under Pochettino. That we buy some players and that Pochettino can restore a new sense of playing purpose and direction.

10 defeats this season, the most of the top 6, never dominating teams and being too willing to change players were not indicative of a man with clarity.

But yep. 4 good seasons and with this still possibly another one but not one where our performances will live long in the memory are not the best signs.

I didn’t say it was a minor thing - but it is no where as an impressive feat that it would have been a decade ago.

United have been a complete disaster since Ferguson left, Woolwich’s board have allowed them to steadily decline each year, Liverpool have only just recovered from their recent decline and Chelsea are quintessential yo yo club. The only club to show any modicum of consistency is City. And let’s not forget that we have had a superior group of players than most of those aforementioned sides in that time.

And this team is vastly better to the one Redknapp had Just compare it to the 09/10 season. Our strikers consisted of Defoe and Crouch ( who was a main striker for most of that CL campaign) And the full backs aren’t the same - Ekotto was our left back for most of that period and Corluka was our right back for a large part. Walker and Rose’s careers were in their infancy - with the latter only being moved to left back at the end of Redknapp’s reign. Palacios was absolute garbage who dined of 3-4 good early performances and Adebayor had 1 loan spell under him.

The squads are simply not comparable - we are far more stronger than we were then. And I don’t see how anyone can claim Pochettinho pisses over Redknapp when their achievements at the club are relatively comparable. Both should have achieved silverware with the players they had but both squandered it due to combination of ignorance towards the tournaments that represented our best opportunity and due to their own personal limitations.

Play the post.

This deserves praise.

A fair and good read.

I love this nonsense - the whole young manager/ potential is absolutely laughable and entirely predictable level of drivel from a poster like you.

Pochettinho is 47, he has been a manager for a decade . He is the same age as Unai Emery, 1 year younger than Guardiola and Simeone. Absolutely no one considers those managers as up young up and coming managers who careers are ahead of them.

To draw a comparison with a 21/22 player is one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here in a while. Well done.

So in an industry where some manage into their 70s, the first 10 years out a 30/40 year careers span is a diff stratosphere of experience compared the ratio of a senior player having clocked up 4 of 15/20?

Just cos a number of young managers have won trophies, that doesn't equate to Poch having no further scope for improvement.

Guardiola is a spoiled cunt and had thee elite upbringing/resources as a manager.
Simeoni plays horrific football.
Goons are welcome to Emrie.

Fuck off.

As a season's analysis of course it does.

If however you look at it from the Burnley game it might be a different answer.

Again, was it Pochettino or Levy who decided that we should not strengthen at all in January and if Pochettino, would that count against him in terms of judgement?

My hope and inclination is that we see what next season brings under Pochettino. That we buy some players and that Pochettino can restore a new sense of playing purpose and direction.

10 defeats this season, the most of the top 6, never dominating teams and being too willing to change players were not indicative of a man with clarity.

But yep. 4 good seasons and with this still possibly another one but not one where our performances will live long in the memory are not the best signs.

....My post had little to do with rating this season. I would cite similar things you did in my assessment. My point remains simple....

Rhetorical or not, the question very quickly becomes; 'If we finish with no CL should we sack Poch?'.

I say no.

You?

So in an industry where some manage into their 70s, the first 10 years out a 30/40 year careers span is a diff stratosphere of experience compared the ratio of a senior player having clocked up 4 of 15/20?

Just cos a number of young managers have won trophies, that doesn't equate to Poch having no further scope for improvement.

Guardiola is a spoiled cunt and had thee elite upbringing/resources as a manager.
Simeoni plays horrific football.
Goons are welcome to Emrie.

Fuck off.

Name me an elite level manager currently managing a an elite club who is in his 60s or 70? Name me one who is over the age of 55? Two of the best managers a decade ago were Mourhino and Benitez - now one of them out of work and the other is at Newcastle. Managers are no different to players they have on the whole the same lifecycles. The prime age for most managers is between 45 and 50 ( just look at the games most recent successful managers as proof of that ). The optimum comparison is a player of 28-29 so the notion that he has his career ahead of him is just laughably ignorant . Pochettinho isnt a young manager just like Emery, Simone, Guardiola and Conte are not young managers just please peddle this lies. I can only imagine you would still be espousing such nonsense in a decade. But but Alex Ferguson won a title in his 60s there is still time for Poch to progress - he is only 57.

Last edited:
Name me an elite level manager currently managing a an elite club who is in his 60s or 70? Name me one who is over the age of 55? Two of the best managers a decade ago were Mourhino and Benitez - now one of them out of work and the other is at Newcastle. Managers are no different to players they have on the whole the same lifecycles. The prime age for most managers is between 45 and 50 ( just look at the games most recent successful managers as proof of that ). The optimum comparison is a player of 28-29 so the notion that he has his career ahead of him is just laughably ignorant . Pochettinho isnt a young manager just like Emery, Simone, Guardiola and Conte are not young managers just please peddle this lies. I can only imagine you would still be espousing such nonsense in a decade. But but Alex Ferguson won a title in his 60s there is still time for Poch to progress - he is only 57.
Roy Hodgson and Neil Warnock are elderly managers.

oh...

:eriksenserious:

Did i say managers peak at 60/70?

No.

Have i been throwing words around like 'elite' and 'best of the last decade'?

No.

Will Pochetino improve?

I beleive so.

Why is it so wild to you that a man can learn new things and develope beyond his mid 40s?

'The average age a trophy winning manager wins their first major trophy' may be a starting point if it's worth continuing this, but i couldn't readily find such a stat....

Did i say managers peak at 60/70?

No.

Have i been throwing words around like 'elite' and 'best of the last decade'?

No.

Will Pochetino improve?

I beleive so.

Why is it so wild to you that a man can learn new things and develope beyond his mid 40s?

'The average age a trophy winning manager wins their first major trophy' may be a starting point if it's worth continuing this, but i couldn't readily find such a stat....

Because the number of coaches who have progressed on at that age is extremely limited and the number who have declined is substantial.

Pochettino has been a manager for a decade, he has been here for 5 years. What evidence is there to suggest further improvement? We have actually regressed from previous seasons and he has shown absolutely no improvement in the domestic cups which represent our best chance of success. He had the same exact ignorant attitude towards these that he had at Southampton.

You may we think we haven’t seen the best of him - I think it is blatantly apparent that we have and his limitations will exposed for all to see when this team has to be rebuilt in the next 12- 18 months.

It’s actually astonishing that a Spurs manager can have a team which has consisted of Lloris, Rose, Alderwield, Walker, Dembele, Dier, Son, Ali, Eriksen, Kane that didn’t win anything with those players, that didn’t actually really come close to winning anything and still have supporters claim the best is yet to come with him. Unbelievable.

The guy is going to make you look like complete fools with the statements & excuses you routinely make for him.

Because the number of coaches who have progressed on at that age is extremely limited and the number who have declined is substantial.

According to you and what time-frame and metrics?

Pochettino has been a manager for a decade, he has been here for 5 years. What evidence is there to suggest further improvement? We have actually regressed from previous seasons and he has shown absolutely no improvement in the domestic cups which represent our best chance of success. He had the same exact ignorant attitude towards these that he had at Southampton.

2 years of Wembley fuckery, mass injuries and no transfers and all you see is evidence that Poch is shit?

The guys been proactively experimenting with formations for 2 years, having already developed a counter-attacking game (a plan B) he arrived being accused of not having....

Suggestive to me that he's motivated to and able to evolve.

The football's not been as pretty this year but if you think a potential 3rd place and CL semi represents a catagoric regression then you're full of shit; all the more if you think Poch alone is the catalyst for that hypothetical regression.

You may we think we haven’t seen the best of him - I think it is blatantly apparent that we have and his limitations will exposed for all to see when this team has to be rebuilt in the next 12- 18 months.

It’s actually astonishing that a Spurs manager can have a team which has consisted of Lloris, Rose, Alderwield, Walker, Dembele, Dier, Son, Ali, Eriksen, Kane that didn’t win anything with those players, that didn’t actually really come close to winning anything and still have supporters claim the best is yet to come with him. Unbelievable.

No more absurd than your relentless blanket outlook of doom and predicted failure.

The guy is going to make you look like complete fools with the statements & excuses you routinely make for him.

Meh. He's not been perfect this year nor any year before that. Find me a quote where I've even suggested as much.... Spoiler: You won't.

U know the beauty of all this tho.... If i'm wrong, i've lost nothing.... To have kept faith in a manger that didnt prove me right is not gonna embarrass me.... That's the domain of sour cunts like you that can't enjoy supporting their team.

I actually agree with the sentiment that to RE-build a squad a 2nd time can make or break a manager and if you weren't so arrogant and dismissive you might have noticed I hold a question mark over Pochs current influence within out trf business. This said, Let's see how much he gets to spend on the job.... Unlike yourself I'm not inclinded to write the bloke off before the fact and luckily enough for me, as a supporter, i'm not called upon to do so.

Last edited:
you are critical of everything about the club because you are a monstrously arrogant cockwomble who thinks he knows everything.
But the reality is that you are just a jargon generator who spews stats like sewage and has no idea of what he sees on the pitch.

I'd rather read mindblowns used toilet paper than the crap you serve.

Apart from that, you are bang on the nail
That's not quite right, Mick. I'll have you know that he thinks the sun shines out of Daniel Levy's arse.

Some of the bollocks on this thread is absolutely embarrassing. Have a fucking word with yourselves lol
Comparing Arry to Poch, talking about him getting the boot- are you for real ffs!?

Wembley, injuries, lack of signings/key players not being replaced or playing enough-the reasons we have been a bit shit this year are so glaringly obvious I find it hard to comprehend how some won't give him a fucking break.

We need a huge overhaul in playing staff that is true and the other thing thats true is that we may very well have missed the boat to win the league for a while. City are another level entirely and unfortunately it looks like Pep will be there a long time with endless pits of money to dominate. Then we have liverpool, who have had their best season in 40 years, lost one match and are still going to finish second-imho we haven't a chance of closing the gap to top enough in the next year or even two no matter what Poch does but that doesn't make him a shit manager or he should be sacked.
Whether he will be here long enough to give it a real go with a rebuilt squad that remains to be seen but he was right earlier in the season when he said it could take ten years to win the title.

Back
Top Bottom