Questioning Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy booted Harry Rednapp when his coy flirting with the England job threw away a 10 point lead and CL with it, I'm not sure why anyone would think Poch is bulletproof from the same treatment after fluttering his eyes at Utd and Madrid .

"Hugo is one of the best and he is going to be in goal tomorrow. He is my captain, he is one of the best keepers in the world. That is not in doubt. We have to be strong and back our players."

The only thing that could spare us from the sight of Hugo throwing one into his own net is Marcos Alonso driving over him with his Range Rover.

Levy booted Harry Rednapp when his coy flirting with the England job threw away a 10 point lead and CL with it, I'm not sure why anyone would think Poch is bulletproof from the same treatment after fluttering his eyes at Utd and Madrid .
Pochettino has done a hell of a lot more for us than Rednapp ever did and was likely to do!

"Hugo is one of the best and he is going to be in goal tomorrow. He is my captain, he is one of the best keepers in the world. That is not in doubt. We have to be strong and back our players."

The only thing that could spare us from the sight of Hugo throwing one into his own net is Marcos Alonso driving over him with his Range Rover.

Well maybe they could share a drink together before driving off into the sunset but at least Hugo didn’t kill anyone
Poch should have stripped him of the captaincy after that

Who do you think Levy would hold responsible, the office cat ?
And at the board meeting pre season Levy and his minions are gonna include CL money in the expenditure are they? Don’t think they would be as naive as that especially when said Levy is in the loop regards strengthening the squad.....or should I say lack of strengthening if we Levy gets rid of Pochettino because of failure to reach the champions league we are back to square one in hiring and firing managers,oh great just what we need.... there are no guarantees in football.

I do not think sacking Poch is very likely, nor should it be. But I do hope he can get us back to the gung-ho, high-press, exciting football we used to see. Not only has this season been a hot mess with dropped points due to personal mistakes (lately), prior to that we often failed to dominate opponents and won on bad days.

This might be due to fatigue from the players and a lot of injuries, but he and Levy should find a way to build a squad with which we could play the same game, the same style of football, even if we have some injuries.

1. I think we have to accept that Poch is the only manager in the world. He cannot be replaced. No other team will get a new manager in the next few years because it is impossible. Irreplaceable. The best manager to have never won anything.

2. We must trust Poch implicity. He has never won anything as a manager, but we must trust that he will because... Spurs. There is no arguing with this logic.

1. I think we have to accept that Poch is the only manager in the world. He cannot be replaced. No other team will get a new manager in the next few years because it is impossible. Irreplaceable. The best manager to have never won anything.

2. We must trust Poch implicity. He has never won anything as a manager, but we must trust that he will because... Spurs. There is no arguing with this logic.
1. No he's not the only manager in the world right now, but the options are very limited. Who would we be able to bring in? At the moment the only legit option that will fit the criteria of attacking football, developing youngsters is Marco Rose from Salzburg. Good manager, young too. I can't see anyone else close to what Pochettino is bringing to the table. Not to say that bringing another manager doesn't guarantee that he will do better than Pochettino.
What we need, if we can't spend big, is to set up a very good scouting system which is lacking atm.

2. We must trust him because he's the manager and he surely knows WAY MORE than the rest of us here wanking at each other posts? He didn't win anything as a manager but that doesn't mean he can't.

Last edited:
Pochettino has done a hell of a lot more for us than Rednapp ever did and was likely to do!

Like? Redknapp took a club from the bottom of the league to the champions league in just over 18 months. He got to a quarter final at the first time of asking.

They are remarkably similar - both prioritised the league over the domestic cups ( and were public with their derision for such tournaments). Both have lost a league cup final and couldn’t get past the semi in the FA Cup, both benefited from the fruits of a previous system and both are/were not top class managers. The only thing Poch has achieved is more consistent CL qualifications but given that he has better team than Redknapp did so he should.

I really don’t understand this revisionist approach to the Redknapp era. And it’s laughable that after five years in the job any critic of Pochettinho still needs to be qualified by most.

Like? Redknapp took a club from the bottom of the league to the champions league in just over 18 months. He got to a quarter final at the first time of asking.

They are remarkably similar - both prioritised the league over the domestic cups ( and were public with their derision for such tournaments). Both have lost a league cup final and couldn’t get past the semi in the FA Cup, both benefited from the fruits of a previous system and both are/were not top class managers. The only thing Poch has achieved is more consistent CL qualifications but given that he has better team than Redknapp did so he should.

Firstly you say “the only thing he’s achieved is more consistent CL” like that’s a minor thing. It isn’t, it’s massive, not just for us positively, but for our direct competitors who we’ve usurped, negatively, every time we’ve done it.

Secondly, I don’t think he had a much better team either. Redknapp has the same fullbacks available to him, Gallas and King, Modric, Parker, Palacios, Sandro as CM’s, VDV, Bale, Adebayor.

And more importantly, as much as I’ve got some issues recently with him, Pochettino got us, through proper coaching, consistently playing a brand of football, made us a cohesive team with and without the ball, introduced some bollocks collectively, improved players, gave us an identity.

Now, I definitely think he’s lost his way a bit lately, and I’ve been heavily critical of him, but as coaches, Pochettino absolutely pisses Redknapp.

Ultimately i dont believe Poch is beyond reproach.

Question:

Would sacking Poch for not getting top 4 be little more than a modern footballing cliche?

Sacking the guy for not having us punching above our weight for the first time in 5 years isn't something i'm particularly comfortable with.... Esp. with the trials presented to us this year in term of trfs, stadium and chronic injuries.

In managerial terms, his career curve is comparable to that of a 21/22 yr old with mega potential that has done extremely since arriving.... Do we flog Dele off the first season his numbers dip to par?

Does Poch's track record of steadily improving us afford him NO grace?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom