Questioning Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually do like some of what he says, but his method of delivering his opinions is hard to take.
Plus, I have a massive problem with people who try to turn sports into a science.

According to you and what time-frame and metrics?

No not according to me but to the mass of evidence to support that. The games most successful managers in the modern era - the likes of Mourinho, Benitez, Lippi, Capello , Van Gaal, Hitztfeld , Wenger all won major honours in their early 40s and who all experienced declines in their respective careers when they reached their early to mid 50s ( just look at their careers following then) . And if we look at the latest batch of elite managers they had all won major honours in their early managerial years - Klopp (42) Guardiola (37), Conte (41), Simeone ( 41) and all of who won followed up that initial success. Now there is a clear pattern there - the games elite managers generally win early in their career follow that up but decline as they move into their early 50s. However according to you Pochettinho who is 47, who hasn’t won anything in his career, who hasn’t really come close is somehow comparable to a 21/22 Dele Ali. Right oh.

2 years of Wembley fuckery, mass injuries and no transfers and all you see is evidence that Poch is shit?

The guys been proactively experimenting with formations for 2 years, having already developed a counter-attacking game (a plan B) he arrived being accused of not having....

Suggestive to me that he's motivated to and able to evolve.

The football's not been as pretty this year but if you think a potential 3rd place and CL semi represents a catagoric regression then you're full of shit; all the more if you think Poch alone is the catalyst for that hypothetical regression.

Oh the Wembley excuse is such a boring one - last season we played in front of crowds averaging 70,000 and we have multiple time to adapt that surrounding. Let me guess next seasons excuse will be that the players are still adjusting to the new WHL - the pitch is bigger so we will need more time no doubt. All team get injuries and given the complete shambles that is our scouting system since we reverted to managerial system I would love to know how he isn’t accountable for this.

No less absurd than your relentless blanket outlook of doom and predicted failure.

All of which has come to pass - it’s amazing that we have a group of supporters who still believe that a previous failed strategy would result in a different outcome this time around. Forever living in a glorious future that never actually comes to pass. But there is always next year right?

NoMeh. He's not been perfect this year nor any year before that. Find me a quote where I've even suggested as much.... Spoiler: You won't.

U know the beauty of all this tho.... If i'm wrong, i've lost nothing.... To have kept faith in a manger that didnt prove me right is not gonna embarrass me.... That's the domain of sour cunts like you that can't enjoy supporting their team.

No if you are wrong then you have just as been as culpable as Pochettino for the failure of a golden generation. A gutless supporter base that places no expectations on a side, that doesn’t hold the manager to account is every bit to blame. And you are a prime example of such cowardice so is the prat below.

Last edited:
Name me an elite level manager currently managing a an elite club who is in his 60s or 70? Name me one who is over the age of 55? Two of the best managers a decade ago were Mourhino and Benitez - now one of them out of work and the other is at Newcastle. Managers are no different to players they have on the whole the same lifecycles. The prime age for most managers is between 45 and 50 ( just look at the games most recent successful managers as proof of that ). The optimum comparison is a player of 28-29 so the notion that he has his career ahead of him is just laughably ignorant . Pochettinho isnt a young manager just like Emery, Simone, Guardiola and Conte are not young managers just please peddle this lies. I can only imagine you would still be espousing such nonsense in a decade. But but Alex Ferguson won a title in his 60s there is still time for Poch to progress - he is only 57.
He told you to fuck off
Pretty much everyone tells you to fuck off
My mother who didn't swear, didn't support spurs and is dead would tell you to fuck off.
So take a hint

A large amount of people would be delighted if you would just fuck off!

I actually do like some of what he says, but his method of delivering his opinions is hard to take.
Plus, I have a massive problem with people who try to turn sports into a science.
He comes across as a dry shite but I know him well. I think his sense of humour goes under the radar at times.

As for stats, Mick, the sport seems to revolve around them these days. We probably employ an army of guys who do that stuff. I agree that BC could do with dropping some of the jargon, and have said this to him privately. But he's a truculent sort of cunt.

No not according to me but to the mass of evidence to support that. The games most successful managers in the modern era - the likes of Mourinho, Benitez, Lippi, Capello , Van Gaal, Hitztfeld , Wenger all won major honours in their early 40s and who all experienced declines in their respective careers when they reached their early to mid 50s ( just look at their careers following then) . And if we look at the latest batch of elite managers they had all won major honours in their early managerial years - Klopp (42) Guardiola (37), Conte (41), Simeone ( 41) and all of who won followed up that initial success. Now there is a clear pattern there - the games elite managers generally win early in their career follow that up but decline as they move into their early 50s. However according to you Pochettinho who is 47, who hasn’t won anything in his career, who hasn’t really come close is somehow comparable to a 21/22 Dele Ali. Right oh.

So by this token estimation Poch will start to decline in around 7 years time.?

I smell bullshit, but regardless u still fall short of provid anything concrete as to why he can't improve in the meantime.

Oh the Wembley excuse is such a boring one - last season we played in front of crowds averaging 70,000 and we have multiple time to adapt that surrounding. Let me guess next seasons excuse will be that the players are still adjusting to the new WHL - the pitch is bigger so we will need more time no doubt. All team get injuries and given the complete shambles that is our scouting system since we reverted to managerial system I would love to know how he isn’t accountable for this.

Hmmmmmmm..... Reality bores you. Tough shit.....

Ironic; cos your perceived reality is prrrrrrettty fucking tedious too.

Those red cards you are so well versed in collecting arent a conspiracy; you're company is just commonly found to be undesired.......

All of which has come to pass - it’s amazing that we have a group of supporters who still believe that a previous failed strategy would result in a different outcome this time around. Forever living in a glorious future that never actually comes to pass. But there is always next year right?

Like fuck it did, you delusional wanker! 3rd & CL qtrs? Buuuuuullshit. All you see is darkness....

No if you are wrong then you have just as been as culpable as Pochettino for the failure of a golden generation. A gutless supporter base that places no expectations on a side, that doesn’t hold the manager to account is every bit to blame. And you are a prime example of such cowardice.

Only in your fucked up little mind.

.....How's your pro-active anti-Poch action panning out?

....Flying banners all booked for the CL Qtrs?

....You'll be outside protesting? ....Showing your strength of prinicipal i assume?

Like fuck you will, you shit spewing, hot-air blowing pussy.

The fact u believe you're on some crusade of truth is the most fucked up part of all this... You actually think it's edgy and righteous to sit and moan; endlessly predicting failure... Any soft cunt can be a negative miserable melt.[/quote]

Last edited:
Silly thread. Questioning Poch is pointless. If the next transfer window is not that much better than the previous 2, its Poch who will decide if he wants to be here or not.

I definitely think it's fair to question Pochettino.

I've had minor issues with him throughout, but I expect that with any manager/coach/player/chairman etc but the general overriding qualities he brings have mostly mitigated any minor issues I've had with him.

I think he's often made poor selection choices at big moments, or made poor tactical choices at big moments or both (early example was playing Townsend and Chadli in the LC final instead of Lamela and Dembele - later things like Son as a LWB in the FAC semi). He's neglected the midfield for much of his tenure IMO. His in game management is often very poor, he's often slow to react. he often sets us up badly for big games. And then there's the whole bullshit "promoter of youth" thing, which grates heavily.

But most of these have been easily superseded by the fact that he's a very good coach with a very clear ethic, invariably improves individuals he works with, and most importantly had the ability to improve us as a collective, with the ball and enormously without it.

He is, or has been, without doubt, the best pure coach in my 50 years.

Issues I've got now are no longer those minor ones though, they are more fundamental.

The minor selection issues have become major ones.

Week after week he picks this structure that just doesn't suit us, doesn't get the best out of the players we have. Makes us less than the sum of our parts, not more or even level. Insanity is repeating the same thing and hoping for a different outcome.

How any top grade manager can think Sissoko belongs in a midfield competing for titles is frankly very, very worrying. Whatever we think of Sissoko, he's does not belong at this level. You have to drop a long way down this league to find midfielders who are technically and intellectually worse, you have to drop a few pegs down to find a more disjointed and incoherent midfield than ours is now. Before the Sissoko issue, there was Dier plodding around, and Poch thinking he was good enough to play there regularly.

And it's thinking that he can play players who don't want the ball under pressure, but persisting with trying to play from the back - under pressure.

How bad do senior players need to be before the great "brave promoter of youth" actually grows some bollocks and promotes youth?

We used to try and dictate games from midfield, now we just bypass it.

Two central strikers, no wide AM/Forwards, meaning the FB's that are already getting blamed for everything, are even more exposed. Moura as one of those central strikers?

And then there's the fundamental issue of what type of team are we now? We don't press high up any more really. There's very little tenacity in our midfield. I can only remember one great 90 minutes of football all season, against Cheslea at home.

Currently, I think his selections, particularly a couple, are absolutely tragic, I think his structural set ups are fucking terrible, and we are not even an aggressive cohesive group without the ball any more.

We are a bunch of decent footballers, quite well coached generally, throwing the dice every week.

I know there have been mitigating issues. The WC killed us. People don't want to admit it's a thing and players would never say it, because it would seem "weak", but there is no way it's not affected us more than most, even the injuries are possibly a sign of this.

And we have had the ground bollocks.

But these things aren't forcing Poch to pick certain players over others. The bullshit "paid to train" mantra has been changed to "if I paid 30m for you you can play no matter how shit you train". Playing at Wembley doesn't force him to choose poor tactics. The WC should have been an opportunity to give young players more game time, not marginalise them.

Even if you disagree with my personal player selection gripes, I'm sure you'll all have your own. Tripper, Rose, Davies, Lloris....whoever.

Now, maybe we'll smash the last 7 games, clear out the dross, sign some decent players and become the good version of a Pochettino team again. I don't even care if we don't make CL, as long as I can get on board with the way we are set up and play. Our cohesion as a team. I put much more stall in performances than I do trophies. As long as we look like a cohesive unit with and without the ball, I'm pretty happy.

And these are not sudden issues because we're on a bad run. I voiced many of them last season, and at the beginning of this season (and the middle) when we were winning games but not playing well. Many of us were getting shit for saying that results won't always outrun performances.

If we get back on track then I'll give him lots of credit, as I have for the great things he's done previously and the massive overall effect for the positive he's had on this club. But right now I'm just calling what I see and feel.

Fucking hell, talk about verbal diarrhea!

Did anyone read more than half of this waffle?!

No if you are wrong then you have just as been as culpable as Pochettino for the failure of a golden generation. A gutless supporter base that places no expectations on a side, that doesn’t hold the manager to account is every bit to blame. And you are a prime example of such cowardice so is the prat below.

You're such a tedious fucking cunt. Still boring everyone I see.

:dembelefingers:

I wish Pochettino was more savvy.

He should be talking of us being massive underdogs and with it all against us, to stoke that warrior mentality.

Instead he talks of us being brave.

No trophies as yet maybe for a reason.

So by this token estimation Poch will start to decline in around 7 years time.?

I smell bullshit, but regardless u still fall short of provid anything concrete as to why he can't improve in the meantime.

It may be 3 it may be 7 seven years it doesn’t alter the fact that whilst at his peak he still isn’t good enough to win silverware with one of the best teams around. That’s a fact he hadn’t done what his peers have despite having a squad equal to theirs.

But hey there is no concrete evidence for this apart from every single one of those managers I mentioned. I guess you also believe that players don’t have lifecycles as well - there is no evidence of course. Kane will still be one of the games best at 40 - his career is ahead of him!!

Hmmmmmmm..... Reality bores you. Tough shit.....

Ironic; cos your perceived reality is prrrrrrettty fucking tedious too.

Those red cards you are so well versed in collecting arent a conspiracy; you're company is just commonly found to be undesired.......

Like fuck it did, you delusional wanker! 3rd & CL qtrs? Buuuuuullshit. All you see is darkness....

Perceived reality? So we actually won silverware then? We didn’t fall short everytime when pressure was applied? Our focus of CL revenues has resulted in superior signings? Has positioned amongst the elite ? Apologies if I don’t subscribe to this fantasy - I prefer to focus on reality and I like to focus of things like outcomes and facts.

.....How's your pro-active anti-Poch action panning out?

....Flying banners all booked for the CL Qtrs?

....You'll be outside protesting? ....Showing your strength of prinicipal i assume?

Like fuck you will, you shit spewing, hot-air blowing pussy.

The fact u believe you're on some crusade of truth is the most fucked up part of all this... You actually think it's edgy and righteous to sit and moan; endlessly predicting failure... Any soft cunt can be a negative miserable melt.

I haven’t called for him to be sacked, i haven’t called for banners - I simply want him to step up to the mark, I want him to stop underachieving. I want the supporters to actually remember what they are and stop giving him an endless free pass. Every professional at the clubs should be held to account - it is our duty as the custodians of the club to do this. However for some warped reason so many think otherwise - even in a thread providing critique there are some still asking why this thread exists. It’s quite something.

Back
Top Bottom