PSV (h) CL 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Fortune Favours the Brave(heart)

That's fucking better. That was a vintage Poch night. I know circumstances dictated that we had to push, but lets be clear, with that line up and formation it was never going to be anything other than an assault, and for the first time in ages it wasn't tepid slap, it was a full on "Precinct 13", the type of which we last handed out at the back end of 16/17 - in all but scoreline.

Selection-wise for me, the only question mark was Son picked and not Lamela. Not only on sheer ability, but also balance of skills. I think Moura's better cutting in as a wide left forward in a 433 or ALM in the 4231, Son is also better in those positions. Lamela definitely as a WRF or ARM, and is also in the form of his Spurs career. So would have liked to see Moura left, Lamela right, either side of Kane.

The selections suggested 433 with maybe Alli and Eriksen as 8's flanking Winks in the central "Jorghino" gig. Then they scored after 2 minutes and even if that was the plan it certainly morphed immediately into what looked like a 4141/2152 with the ball and a 4231 without the ball, with Eriksen dropping in next to Winks. And whatever we were playing, from the second minute on, we shifted the whole thing about 30 yards up the pitch and just camped in their half.

From the moment we conceded that 2nd minute goal - and you have to question why Alli, who is actually really poor at aerial duels, was put on there No.9 - it was just a relentless football doing.

Whether we'd pulled it back or not, this was a great performance, for the first time in a long time we combined effort, cohesion, skill, control and creativity, it was wave after wave, and yes there was some wastage, particularly from Aurier, and some bumbling from the forwards, but this wasn't one of those occasions where we dominate but are laborious - there was tempo, the ball was continually moved forwards and with pace, there was incision from the midfield areas and quality situations and chances just kept materialising.

The score was really just further evidence of how we can't catch a break in the CL this year, because any other night we win this game by a handsome margin - further evidence was Inter again getting a late goal to nick a fucking point against a Messi-less Barca.

Lots of good performances tonight, but the player I have to pick out tonight is Winks. I have to confess, I was a little concerned when I saw the line up and how we were shaping up, that Winks might struggle to hold the midfield together, but he was like a 30yo regista out there tonight. 88 passes, 91%, 7 key passes (most by 3) he didn't put a foot wrong all night, and used the ball superbly, when it needed playing quickly he did, when it needed thinking about, he did, played some really incisive passes and made sure our foot stayed firmly on the gas.

I want to see more of this midfield bravery from Poch. More football. More risk. Less of the tepid, scared, incoherent, risk averse bollocks we've been seeing. I know we won't play PSV every week, and I know we can't go gang ho every minute of every week, but this is when we are at our best, when we get on the front foot and stay there for big chunks of games, even when we are one goal up, we press harder and go for two, then controlling the ball not shitting ourselves and shrinking into an ever decreasing arse bend.

Got to give Davies a mention. He's not brilliant, and he's been really fucking ordinary for a long time, after starting last season really well. But tonight he was good, constantly involved in the attack, constantly getting into dangerous areas and involving himself in forward exchanges, and though his crossing wasn't brilliant, it was better than Aurier's and eventually put in a great one that got us the win. Also notched up the second most key passes (4).

Moura fizzed in the first half, with two fantastic mazy dribbles, if only he could compose himself at the end of them. And though he'd gone a bit quieter in the second half, it was still bit baffling that he got hooked ahead of Son, who'd really been the most disappointing of the forward players all night. Alli was causing his brand of mayhem, perhaps should have done better a couple of times when in great positions, but it's good to see him getting there again, set up a great chance too and was generally good. Kane worked his nuts off and inevitably came up with the goods, two gutsy finishes to round off a gutsy effort. There was much less careless fuckery tonight, we were just a lot more unlucky, and they defended like fucking trojans. Save after save, block after block.

There's nothing more jizmic in football than a late winner. But this was no laboured grind, this was a well earned, emphatic reward for a relentlessly good footballing performance. And the ultimate reward might be that we just might get to some kind of European football at our shiny new gaff. And a club like us should always rejoice in European football, of whatever hue.

Individual

Gazzaniga - Very little to do, but did most of it it well. Needs to get to grips with controlling his area better though, bit hesitant at times.

Aurier - Got himself into some great positions, wasted all of them, some horrendously. Games like this Trippier's strengths are apparent. Maybe try Aurier when we need more defending doing.

Sanchez - Good game.

Alderweireld - Good game - one of those Toby specials to set up Alli too. Jazz....nice....

Davies - very good game, best in about a year. With Aurier less involved in play than Trippier usually is, more of our play went down that left than usual and he was constantly interacting with the forward game play. Good cross for the winner.

Winks - Really mature performance. Was pretty much the midfield for most of that game, held it together and used the ball superbly. Jorghino-esque tonight. MOTM

Eriksen - This was more like the real Eriksen. After Winks, was our busiest player, and was back to something like his metronomic better self. Good game.

Alli - Again, this was the version of Alli we've not seen for a while, impudent, involved.

Moura - Lively first half, two great jinky runs that so nearly came to something, went a bit quieter second half, but still would have kept him on because Son was pretty poor.

Son - Really hard to remember the last time Son was "good". He tried hard tonight, but it's just not happening, and he's still careless with the ball too often, and it's not like it's because he's attempting the wonderful usually.

Kane - Worked hard and eventually did what Kane invariably does. Decent effort.

Last edited:
Winks MOTM by a mile.

We knew from the first game that PSV are horrific in midfield. We absolutely walked through it time and time again so I wasn't too surprised by Poch's midfield selection tonight and Winks excelled. He had time, space and used it all to perfection. Completed more passes than anyone else. Created more chances than anyone else. Recovered the ball more than anyone else. No one won more tackles.

Hats off to Gazzaniga, Dele, Lucas and Kane for the two goals too.

I love the way we can watch the same game and have totally different opinions. For me, Davies was slow and ineffective. Aurier looked far better from a creative standpoint. Lucas looked good but there was no end product. Too frilly and not gritty enough. Son is not up to his best but keeps trying. Dele and HK worked hard all game: superb effort. Winks tidy. Eriksen finding his range.

I saw it a little different
Davis mediocre as so many good positions and poor balls in the box.
One very good cross out of a host of crap doesn't make a great game. 5
Eriksen getting better .6
Dele busy but wasteful with some good chances. 6
Aurier just blunders around 4
Winks very tidy but wish he would be more adventurous 7
Moura lively , a few great runs 7
Son not really effective 4
Kane kept his head and his perseverance for me made him stand out 8
Gazza good 7
Sanchez and Toby both solid 7

Overall a good exciting more dynamic performance .

Holy crap - Blakey have you gone and got a ghost writer? ... better, vintage Poch, relentless football, great performance, effort, cohesion, skill, control and creativity all things I never expected to read in a Blakey assessment ....

Fair play to you sir ....... keep up the positive attitude ...... it's so much better to read

I love the way we can watch the same game and have totally different opinions. For me, Davies was slow and ineffective. Aurier looked far better from a creative standpoint. Lucas looked good but there was no end product. Too frilly and not gritty enough. Son is not up to his best but keeps trying. Dele and HK worked hard all game: superb effort. Winks tidy. Eriksen finding his range.
Agreed, I actually thought Davies was awful. So many times could have slipped through one of the attacking midfielders and chose to cross, it was like we had Crouch up front just kept crossing it to the first man.

Gazzaniga - 6
Aurier - 6
Sanchez - 6
Aldeweireld - 6
Davies - 3
Winks - 7.5
Eriksen - 7.5
Alli - 6
Lucas - 7
Son - 4
Kane - 8

Lamela - 6
Llorente - 6
Trippier - 3

Gazzaniga - 6.5 good shot stopper, still has a problem going off the line
Aurier - 4.5 very poor touch, trippier latest defensive mischief really made us forget what a limited player he is
Sanchez - 6.5 Solid
Toby - 6.5 ditto
Davies - 5.5 not good enough
Winks - 7.5 excellent tackles and passing, always moved the ball forward creating a blaze on their goal. MOTM
Eriksen - 6 some good passes but not sharp enough
Son - 5 weak all around
Dele - 6 not his best, but his mere presence is enough to create attacking football
Lucas - 7 what a lovely old school player, I quite like him
Kane - 6 neither here nor there

Agreed with almost everything everyone else has said.

PSV were shit, we should have destroyed them. Our attackers are far too wasteful.
Also concerning that we give another goal away from a high ball in the box. Its becoming a very obvious weakness that other teams would look to exploit. Need to fix this.

Winks and Lucas were very good.

How would PSV do in the Premier League. I think they would struggle. I expect a much harder match against Palace. Losing an early goal was nearly a disaster. This should have been an easy victory and yet it was not. The lack of one of Dier, Wanyama, Dembele and Sissoko meant we were always vulnerable to a breakaway and set piece finish. Too many smallish and attacking players. This is backed up by the fact that we improved and scored after we brought on Lamela and Llorente.
Selection was hampered by injuries, fixture congestion and fatigue but whilst we had a high number of chances, we left it so so late to get the win.
Many make Moura MOM but whilst he threatened he was a lot of the reason we did not score. I do not think Son and Moura should both play and Son will produce better results when Moura is not in the side.
The back 5 including Gazza all played well after the first 2 mins.
Winks had a good game. Dele and Eriksen still getting match fit.
Kane getting back to what we expect to see. I think many supporters forget that even at his best spells in the past he frequently did little of note only to pop up with winning goals. For that he has to be MOM for me.

How would PSV do in the Premier League. I think they would struggle. I expect a much harder match against Palace. Losing an early goal was nearly a disaster. This should have been an easy victory and yet it was not. The lack of one of Dier, Wanyama, Dembele and Sissoko meant we were always vulnerable to a breakaway and set piece finish. Too many smallish and attacking players. This is backed up by the fact that we improved and scored after we brought on Lamela and Llorente.
Selection was hampered by injuries, fixture congestion and fatigue but whilst we had a high number of chances, we left it so so late to get the win.
Many make Moura MOM but whilst he threatened he was a lot of the reason we did not score. I do not think Son and Moura should both play and Son will produce better results when Moura is not in the side.
Kane getting back to what we expect to see. I think many supporters forget that even at his best spells in the past he frequently did little of note only to pop up with winning goals. For that he has to be MOM for me.

I disagree. That game did not need a pure, one dimensional defensive midfielder, we conceded from a set piece after two minutes and then maybe one break after that threatened us, because we had footballers out there, it enabled us to keep complete control of that game against such a passive opposition.

And Sissoko and Dier have been on the pitch at various times this season when we've not only conceded on the counter, but when we have actually ceded up complete control of games, and that was something that didn't happen once last night.

There will be games where a more defensive player will be required, but Sissoko isn't a DM and never has been, he's rarely ever played in a CM2 as a CM/8 type.

I disagree. That game did not need a pure, one dimensional defensive midfielder, we conceded from a set piece after two minutes and then maybe one break after that threatened us, because we had footballers out there, it enabled us to keep complete control of that game against such a passive opposition.

And Sissoko and Dier have been on the pitch at various times this season when we've not only conceded on the counter, but when we have actually ceded up complete control of games, and that was something that didn't happen once last night.

There will be games where a more defensive player will be required, but Sissoko isn't a DM and never has been, he's rarely ever played in a CM2 as a CM/8 type.

I always liked that midfield 3 of Sissoko/Capoue/Didot though when he was at Toulouse, who were a French team who's results I looked out after a successful FM campaign with them about a decade back. I remember them having some really good Portuguese central midfielder in there too whenever Didot didn't play or when Capoue played centre back.

Thought that Dele was blocked off from the PSV player who scored - so actually a foul should have been given rather than allowing the goal

After that PSV were pretty well controlled so no DM required - Spurs had some 75% possession and 30 shots on goal which says pretty much all

The fact that Winks who combined the DM role with his own still had time to make 7 key passes shows how little a 'pure' 'destroyer type' DM would have contributed.

On a different note, I wasn't impressed by Aurier, especially repeating Trippier's nutmeg in roughly the same position. If he had lost possession there I can imagine the reaction. But generally seemed to be only a back up RB at best : not sure we have a good first choice RB.

I always liked that midfield 3 of Sissoko/Capoue/Didot though when he was at Toulouse, who were a French team who's results I looked out after a successful FM campaign with them about a decade back. I remember them having some really good Portuguese central midfielder in there too whenever Didot didn't play or when Capoue played centre back.

You’re maybe thinking of Machado?

During that phase Toulouse almost always played a 4141 Diamond with Capoue as the “1” in front of the defence, Didot at the base of the diamond, with players like Syla, Akpro, Ragatan, Braatan, Tabanou, Sissoko rotating round the right, left and top of the diamond.

That wasnt a bad side with people like Abdanour, Aurier, Mbenge, Congre, BenYedder et etc

There were the odd games early on when Sissoko was played in a cm2 but rarely after those early handful of games.

———-Capoue

Didot—————-

Sissoko———————tabanou

Braatan

B.Yedder

Last edited:
Winks for me all day. Classy performance and some real nice finds with sweeping cross field passes.

Loved the midfield and what I have been looking for from Poch for years. Bravery!! I would love to see more of a 433 with Winks, Eriksen, and Dele in there.

Son needs to get back to his old self as I just think he is hands down a better option up top than Lucas. Lucas is a busy body and has these amazing runs, but seldom do they pay off. If I am correct, all his goals have come off direct assists or lose balls. None have come from one of his mazing runs and none of those runs have resulted in goals. So if Son is able to get back to his true self, where he is able to create for himself and others, I would love to see a 433:

Dele Winks Eriksen
Lamela Kane Son

All in all, a fun performance to watch and I see things starting to click. Jan can't come back sooner.

I noticed he didn't come out for the late PSV attack that split our defence and put a man through . Luckily that attacker shot before he needed to and straight at Gazziniga . Hugo would have narrowed his goal view by being further out imo .

Although Lloris has definitely done some weird shit on one v ones in the last 12 months - actually backing off rather than charging out (remember Salah at Anfield - and there was another one which escapes me now) ?

Winks was MotM, but Lucas Moura would have been if he hadn’t been hooked unnecessarily. He was fantastic, and offers that unpredictability that we crave in the final third.

I honestly don’t know why he isn’t appreciated more by some people (I’m thinking of you, bus-conductor bus-conductor ). Lacking in the brains department? He’s one of our most inventive and quick-thinking players. He chimes in with a healthy amount of goals too. What’s not to like? He was legitimately one of the most exciting talents in world football a few years ago, and only faded out because PSG started throwing around the cash. He’s a major asset.

Back
Top Bottom