Priorities

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What are they now?

This is the Wembley season. Aren't we supposed to be lucky to make 6th this year?
Title challenge is a must, but winning it is still a huge expectation. We have no home.

No other team would be expected to win the PL playing 38 away games. This year is about pushing ourselves and growing.
We can still win silverware.

CL glory is a mere 7 games away, and three of them you can draw.....should really be our main target now in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don’t see a league win, combine Wembley with our Spursy unluck and I would rather throw our chips at the FA cup and Champions League.

City with their billions are also following Chelsea and Leicester in terms of having early season form combined with very few if any injuries. Each season the title winner has had all the luck with injuries and decisions and you can see it already with City. That they have by far the strongest squad puts everything in their favour.

Honestly we don’t have the money doping depth of City but on our day we are deadly, that we haven’t won a cup is crazy and on our day even with City or PSG’s massive unfair financial cheating we could still despatch them in a CL 2 leg game.

If anything I think the CL is more realistic than the league. For the league we need to buy attacking depth for next season and get the fuck out of Wembley. I would take an FA Cup any day of the week as well. Far as the league goes 3rd or 4th place would be an achievement.

Number one priority is to get top 3 in the league.

We need CL to smooth over the finances and attract sponsors whilst moving to the new ground.

If we finish 4th we will have to play early qualifiers, meaning we could have to play the entire competition at Wembley - Uefa don't allow you delay playing home games like the PL do.

PL & CL
Nothing has put a spring in my step more than being a legitimate title challenger. We are one of the best teams in Europe too. Wow!

I am still walking around with a smile on my face after beating Real Madrid, I want more of that, I want more nights like that.

We can get to a CL final too, I fancy our chances over two legs against anyone. A one off final win I confess I don’t have the same confidence.

As for the PL this season is different to the previous two, this is because all the top 6 clubs are in Europe, previous two seasons the winners haven’t been (that’s approx 15 games less). This season isn’t over, if we beat Citeh twice means we are 2 behind (they still have to play Utd twice too and you can’t rule out Mourinho ball doing x2 0-0’s).

Too early to give up on catching City.

We've earned the right to not worry about CL until new year so why worry about making compromises before they're called for?

PL & CL
Nothing has put a spring in my step more than being a legitimate title challenger. We are one of the best teams in Europe too. Wow!

I am still walking around with a smile on my face after beating Real Madrid, I want more of that, I want more nights like that.

We can get to a CL final too, I fancy our chances over two legs against anyone. A one off final win I confess I don’t have the same confidence.

As for the PL this season is different to the previous two, this is because all the top 6 clubs are in Europe, previous two seasons the winners haven’t been (that’s approx 15 games less). This season isn’t over, if we beat Citeh twice means we are 2 behind (they still have to play Utd twice too and you can’t rule out Mourinho ball doing x2 0-0’s).
More teams will beat City eventually but I'm thinking do we go all out to win the CL group now.

A decent draw next round is vital if we are seriously going for it.

I would love to see us go all out for the CL, I think we have a pass this year in the PL. players dropping like flies, let's not kill our selves chasing City just yet

More teams will beat City eventually but I'm thinking do we go all out to win the CL group now.

A decent draw next round is vital if we are seriously going for it.

I would love to see us go all out for the CL, I think we have a pass this year in the PL. players dropping like flies, let's not kill our selves chasing City just yet
We have the squad. Our 3rd choice goalkeeper was candidate for MOTM today (3rd choice but played is 22nd PL game!!). Citeh will run deep in all comps. Biggest threat to the season is having every team gift them the three points before even kicking a ball against them. Only team to go toe to toe with them this year has been Bournemouth, everyone else has gone in with the mentality "who we playing next week"?

The priority is the PL at the moment because the win over Real has pretty much assured us of top place. We only need to win one of the two remaining games to guarantee it. Then the knockout round is ages away. Lots of PL points up for grabs till then - we have a better fixture list than City in November and December. The gap will close.

Then when the last 16 game comes around that will be our priority. The FA cup will just be a chance to give Lamela a few minutes to prove he's still alive so we can flog him for a few mill.

One thing about this..I totally agree with priorities...but I think this side needs to win something to understand how to, and to understand how it feels. I think once they do, it'll be the first trophy of many. but you have to get that first one over the line. Even if its the not as good as redbull cup.

With our CL performance and dropping out of the League Cup, we should be able to concentrate on the league through the new year. Won’t have the R16 until mid Feb, so no reason why we can’t commit to the FA Cup either, especially the third and fourth in January.

Schedule lines up decently for us until mid Feb through the end of the season, where Poch will need to weigh our chances in each of the 3 comps and then decide accordingly. Still a lot of time and matches between now and then, worst case is that we keep winning, I guess, because then our fixture list will be a bit overwhelming.

One thing about this..I totally agree with priorities...but I think this side needs to win something to understand how to, and to understand how it feels. I think once they do, it'll be the first trophy of many. but you have to get that first one over the line. Even if its the not as good as redbull cup.
Like when Fergie won the FA Cup v Palace (I was at the replay with a Palace mate). Little did I realise it was the prelude to 20 years of dominance at home and abroad. Winning a piece of proper silverware (sorry, Carabou) will be the catalyst for years of dominance. I don't think it is complete fantasy to think we could do it in the ECL. The premier league looks set to be a real contest, but no reason we can't keep up the pressure.

Like when Fergie won the FA Cup v Palace (I was at the replay with a Palace mate). Little did I realise it was the prelude to 20 years of dominance at home and abroad. Winning a piece of proper silverware (sorry, Carabou) will be the catalyst for years of dominance. I don't think it is complete fantasy to think we could do it in the ECL. The premier league looks set to be a real contest, but no reason we can't keep up the pressure.
whatever Man Utd have claimed since, It was an open secret that Ferguson was out if they didnt win the cup that year.

I agree its not beyond the bounds of possibility its gonna be the chumpions league or the title, but logic suggests its gonna be the fa cup or the conflict of interests trophy. just whatever it is, the sooner the better

The priority is the PL at the moment because the win over Real has pretty much assured us of top place. We only need to win one of the two remaining games to guarantee it. Then the knockout round is ages away. Lots of PL points up for grabs till then - we have a better fixture list than City in November and December. The gap will close.

Then when the last 16 game comes around that will be our priority. The FA cup will just be a chance to give Lamela a few minutes to prove he's still alive so we can flog him for a few mill.

Shame... You were doing so well until the needless jab at Lamella.

Back
Top Bottom