Pochettino v Mourinho: transfer history who’s the more capable?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

José Mourinho - Purchased players
Mauricio Pochettino - Purchased players
If you take money out of the equation that doesn’t always mean your getting the best as proved re mostly Mourinho purchases but there is one part of Pochettino’s reign that was suspect and that was his transfer dealings Janssen to name but one yes we have Son thanks to Poch but overall his judgment was poor I’m not saying Mourinho was brilliant but in the long term is his judgement going to be better? Lo Celso & N’dombele isn’t mentioned in the chart that obviously is an upgrade on Poch but the latter was 50 odd million to get him.

Tbf it's diddicult to tell with Poch as 90% of the time he didn't get the players he wanted......Its why he alluded to himself as head coach rather than manager during his latesr spat with Levy this Summer.
I get the feeling that Jose would have struggled just as much with lemons like Nkoudu, Njie, Jannsen etc etc but has far more experience handling big superstars with big egos arriving at the club.
Time will tell I suppose, and we'll have to wait and see how Poch performs at a club where he's backed.

I think without knowing who actually scouted players when either manager was in charge of their respective clubs, it's hard to lay blame for failure or praise for success stories tbh.

On the basis some of the best players in the squad were at the club before Poch, that does not say much about his replacements. However the Manager never has enough time to do the scouting and relies on others to suggest players even though he has the last say. I still believe the lack of signings in 2018 was as much to do with poor scouting as it was Levy not getting Grealish or spending.

Not worth starting a new thread but just sorted transfers since 2012.

BoughtSold/LoansProfit/Loss
Trippier42218
Wimmer51510
Eriksen10177
Chadli7136
Holtby1.57.56
Sigurdsson8135
Yedlin264
Stambouli561
Fryers330
Dempsey76-1
Lopez LOAN10-1
N'Koudou9.56.5-3
N'Jie96-3
Chiriches7.54.5-3
Vorm30-3
Capoue95.5-3.5
Fazio84.5-3.5
Dembele1511-4
Adebayor50-5
Paulinho1710-7
Janssen179-8
Soldado187-11
Wanyama110-11
Llorente120-12
Total194.5172.5-22

Trippier42218
Wimmer51510
Eriksen10177
Chadli7136
Holtby1.57.56
Sigurdsson8135
Yedlin264
Stambouli561
Fryers330
Dempsey76-1
Lopez LOAN10-1
N'Koudou9.56.5-3
N'Jie96-3
Chiriches7.54.5-3
Vorm30-3
Capoue95.5-3.5
Fazio84.5-3.5
Dembele1511-4
Adebayor50-5
Paulinho1710-7
Janssen179-8
Soldado187-11
Wanyama110-11
Llorente120-12
Total194.5172.5-22
Its mad that Wimmer was our 2nd highest profit. Nailed the buy low/sell high peak on that one. I liked him, mind, and he had a very good stretch there for half a season...but we absolutely moved on at the right time.

Paulino, Soldado, and Janssen probably the only real "failures" for us there. Still hurts that we spent £35M on Paulinho and Soldado. If we'd gotten what we bargained for out of those two and Lamela had stayed healthy....oh what a painful fantasy.

Its mad that Wimmer was our 2nd highest profit. Nailed the buy low/sell high peak on that one. I liked him, mind, and he had a very good stretch there for half a season...but we absolutely moved on at the right time.
I don't know what was more mad..us buying Zeki Fryers or us being able to sell him without a loss.
He's currently L2 with Swindon.

Mourinho, obviously.

Poch for the most part wasted away shit loads of money.

Here is a starting 11 of their best signings. You decide.

Cech
Ferreira - Carvalho - Lucio - Cole
Modric - Essien
Robben - Sneijder - Eto'o
Drogba

vs.

Gazzaniga
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Davies
Wanyama - Dele
Lo Celso - Coutinho - Son
Llorente​

Last edited:

Trippier42218
Wimmer51510
Eriksen10177
Chadli7136
Holtby1.57.56
Sigurdsson8135
Yedlin264
Stambouli561
Fryers330
Dempsey76-1
Lopez LOAN10-1
N'Koudou9.56.5-3
N'Jie96-3
Chiriches7.54.5-3
Vorm30-3
Capoue95.5-3.5
Fazio84.5-3.5
Dembele1511-4
Adebayor50-5
Paulinho1710-7
Janssen179-8
Soldado187-11
Wanyama110-11
Llorente120-12
Total194.5172.5-22
Why did we not renew Llorente contract ? just crazy decision IMO ... he helped us a lot last year and could do more this year with kane and son absence

Tbf it's diddicult to tell with Poch as 90% of the time he didn't get the players he wanted......Its why he alluded to himself as head coach rather than manager during his latesr spat with Levy this Summer.
I get the feeling that Jose would have struggled just as much with lemons like Nkoudu, Njie, Jannsen etc etc but has far more experience handling big superstars with big egos arriving at the club.
Time will tell I suppose, and we'll have to wait and see how Poch performs at a club where he's backed.

Also TBF, signings made before Poch was given more of a say (Eriksen, Walker, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Wanyama, Rose, Trippier, Son, Alli, Dier, Dembele) and those made when he became head coach again (Ndombele, Lo Celso) were better than the signings made when Poch was made de facto manager (Sissoko, Aurier, Sanchez, Moura)...

Mourinho, obviously.

Poch for the most part wasted away shit loads of money.

Here is a starting 11 of their best signings. You decide.

Cech
Ferreira - Carvalho - Lucio - Cole
Modric - Essien
Robben - Sneijder - Eto'o
Drogba

vs.

Gazzaniga
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Davies
Wanyama - Dele
Lo Celso - Coutinho - Son
Llorente​
You say obviously but Poch has never had the option to go out and buy world class players like Mourinho has.
Lets see how Mourinho does obtaining players with fluff and buttons.

You say obviously but Poch has never had the option to go out and buy world class players like Mourinho has.
Lets see how Mourinho does obtaining players with fluff and buttons.

Because one wins things. The other doesn't?

Mourinho wins things with lots of money, he won't get that here. I'm not arguing that he's not the better manager.
If Mourinho wins things with us, that would be his greatest achievement since porto.

We won't be bankrolling him like Chelsea, Inter, Real and Man U.

I also think it's very unfair to compare the two regarding their transfer successes, I am guessing Poch was never free to pick his own players, as John Thomas John Thomas mentioned he referred to himself as the coach, not the manager, and I'm sure he had a reason to go public with that.

That was his final summer here.... The same summer we splashed out 120m+ for his targets.
I remember Poch saying that coach thing towards the end of his stay with us, I think maybe it was the final summer.

If we had dismantled our recruitment team and Poch had all the say re recruitments, I wonder what he meant by what he said.

Mourinho wins things with lots of money, he won't get that here. I'm not arguing that he's not the better manager.

Saying a manager wins things because of money is pretty disrespectful. He wins things because he's a bloody good manager.

Good managers get the best jobs. The best jobs usually require teams that have money

Poch has spunked lots of money.

Saying a manager wins things because of money is pretty disrespectful. He wins things because he's a bloody good manager.

Good managers get the best jobs. The best jobs usually require teams that have money

Poch has spunked lots of money.
I didn't say that. I said Mourinho wins things with lots of money . This is a factual statement.

Like this guy?

images

Back
Top Bottom