Players form

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was a time when you could list off 90% of the squad and say Poch has taken an average player to next level.

A few years ago it was Walker, Rose, Trippier, Dier, Davies and Lamela who you could genuinely feel had become a different caliber player under him.

Dembele, Eriksen, Lloris, Kane, Dele, Rose and Walker were seen as world class, and rightly so. Try and remember people were talking about 150M for Dele.
SĂĄnchez started well, then went downhill.
Moura hasn’t progressed in a year and a half.
Aurier is still crap.
KWP doesn’t get a look in, his debut was two years ago.

Sissoko and Winks was integrated and the magic happened..but for me every single one of those other players still at the club, bar Kane, has regressed. Massively.

I’m not interested in any stats, just watch football. We have one player today who you could say Poch has taken from nowhere to one of the best CMs in the PL but what’s happened to everyone else.

Poor tactics that don’t suit the team? Or has that great time from the Leicester season just run it’s course. Our football is by and large dreadful, and our technical ability has disappeared.

Foyth, Winks and Sissoko are the only players who look good on the ball (apart from Toby and Jan who have been solid from day one).

I don’t now know what’s happened, but “fatigue”, “Trippier” and “transfer window” just isn’t cutting it I’m afraid.

To be honest, I don't disagree with the symptom you are seeing, I see it too.

In my view it's all down to the personnel and too many games. Our players have not had a break, even in the summer they get no time off playing international games, it's just constant. And we've signed no one. I'm not worried about the likes of Dele, he'll come good again next season. But we need to upgrade the likes of Trippier because he doesn't reliably track his man -some games he does, some games he doesn't.

Basically, rest the players, get them fit and healthy. Buy in a new RB, two central mids and a young striker as backup/occasional (maybe Parrot, I personally think he is ready for that) and we will be good again.

Poch has got it wrong....I don’t care how nice someone is off the pitch if they are crap on it.
Give me a world class tosser now.

Absolutely right. He has got it wrong so many times on the big occassions. The trouble is most fans won't see it because they are deluded.

The mantra is this:

We win: Poch is magic etc etc etc

We lose: players are to blame. Levy is to blame.

It's fucking nonsense.

Yeah I react to what’s happening....you seem to be watching our games from 2015

You react to nothing. You're a spoilt, miserable little boy who thinks he knows everything and in actual fact knows nothing. I'm not going to waste any more of precious time responding to your nonsense. You'll get GIF responses and that's all you deserve. Give it a rest.

This melt is calling for Poch to be sacked.

Deary me - what have we become ...

I know, right. In a season where we've been a bit off form, yet STILL managed to be in top 4 contention, and reach the fucking SEMI FINALS of the champions league, despite transfer window issues, fatigue issues, horrendous injury issues, and the whole stadium debacle, it fucking amazes me there are some who would like to see the back of Poch. As far as I'm concerned, they're not fans, end of story.

This season has been so hard to wrap the head around it’s unreal...
We started it off by not signing any players in the summer, I honestly got that, all the verbal coming out of the club was “if we can’t buy a player who improves our best 11-14 players then we won’t buy for the sake of it” or some bollocks to that effect, I agreed, I have agreed with that for years, and I didn’t, and still don’t want anymore Llorente’s coming in because they were the only option, there are enough flids running about the club without adding more.......
WEMBLY/NWHL, well this was a train crash from September, by Christmas everyone was just about done with sleeping on their mates couch and needed a place of their own, great buzz when we finally moved home, only black mark was West Ham ending a 27 game unbeaten run at our “own home” and of course last night, that place was ready to party and the band didn’t show up.....
INJURIES, unreal, and I mean unreal, never remember any team having such a run of injuries at critical times like we have had this season, and that has caused two further problems.....
SQUAD DEPTH, injuries have shown the squad to be thread bare in quality when missing a few players, and can you only imagine if Sissoko hadn’t transformed into Optimums Prime and the old Sissoko was still around, we wouldn’t be top 6 let alone on the verge of securing top 4....
POCHETTINO, injuries have forced him to tinker way too much with formations, not his style, the past two years he got heavily criticised for not changing tactics and no plan B, now he’s been forced to do it and do it with mediocre players, and players out of position bugs the shit out of me, it ain’t working, and I never ever want to see a back 5 again......
DEFEATS, how we have lost so many games (1 out of every 3 games played) and still be 3rd in the league and still have a chance to get to the CL final is beyond me, it doesn’t make any sense, amazingly we could lose over 20 games this season and win the CL (I know🤔) and finish 3rd, and Liverpool could lose less than 5 (including the two domestic cups) and win nothing, crazy.......

The warning signs are now flashing red, bright red....This summer might be Levy’s last chance to save this team from collapse, he does need to invest “heavily” this time around, surly Pochettino won’t accept another baron sumner, players need to see some ambition our we risk loosing more than just Toby and Eriksen (who 100% will not be at this club next season) and the fans need to see some ambition to justify what we pay week in week out for the new digs, in a nutshell, the NWHL isn’t a stadium that should be graced with Jack Grealish etc etc......COYS!!

I don't think anybody is calling for him to be sacked. I think just for general fan recognition that he makes mistakes and is not infallable.

After 5 years we have won nothing - and look less and less likely to win something each year. Yes, we got to the semi final this year, but we will go out at this stage. I know the delusionals think the return of Son will guarantee goals - but he played v West Ham and did fuck all.

Never win anything under Poch. He gets it wrong at critical stages too often.

Agree with a lot of whats been posted. However, there is a bit of what your saying Sammy, that riles me because its a bit spoilt. We had an unbelivable run in the leceister season, and the one after - punching so far above our weight. I think he has worked miracles with what he has. In the last couple of seasons he's also maintained a standard under unique circumstances - playing 70 odd games away from home and pretty much no signings. Injuries, fatigue is going to play a part as is the natural cycle of a team.

Alex Ferguson and Wenger to an extent were lauded for their ability to rebuild successful sides. Poch is probably getting to that time where he needs to do that. Yes perhaps keep a spine to the team but bring in something to give a new impetus. My concern is that he doesn't have the funds, he has to take punts and the examples of Janssen, Nkodou, llorente, up until recently sissoko are more than enough to put him off that. Until we get rid of those player Poch doesn't rate - we're going to struggle to buy.
Everyone fit we have a very good first 11. Its how we move it up a level.

All being said though - what an amazing season we're having. One win in the League and I'm stoked TBH. Anything from the CL is a bonus.

I think some of our players are just not as good as we think they are.

Last game was an eye opener for many.

Last game? You mean the one where we had to play a fully flogged Dele & Eriksen, a non existent forward line and central midfield based on fitness and quality we would usually play?

Let's take a look at the starting XI, the one where we were so limited in numbers we had to not only changed our desired formation but the way we play as well due the strengths of those up top:

Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Rose
Wanyama
Eriksen
Dele (broken hand so not fully fit, this needs to be remembered)
Lucas
Llorente

Ajax played a fully fit starting XI, if we had that luxury our starting XI would have not only had a different formation but a different philosophy to our play as well. It wouldn't have been closer to:

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Winks
Sissoko

Eriksen
Dele
Son
Kane

Vertonghen only lasted 30 minutes last night so that's 6 of our best players we couldn't rely on last night. Even our best backup, Lamela wasn't fit. We had to rely on a 34 year old man who hasn't even made the subs bench on 10 occasions this season despite a fully fit campaign when others have been unfit.

Dele has a broken hand but that's soon forgotten because he's taking to the pitch. Let's take players of similar importance to Kane, Son, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier, Lamela & a fully fit Dele out of ANY team in the world and see how they get on.

People need to get real. Yesterday's performance wasn't good enough but neither was our starting XI. We are balancing building a football club with paying off a stadium, there will be some required weak areas and they currently stand in our backup numbers. Sadly it's a risk we need to take to grow and it hit us yesterday.

Last nights team was a Carabao Cup team, not by choice but by default. Suck it up and stop wallowing in the aftermath of it. We've played 59 competitive games this season and only had Dele, Eriksen, Son & Kane take to the field together for 10 of them. It's shit luck but don't slag the team off because of health & circumstances, it really isn't fair

Last game? You mean the one where we had to play a fully flogged Dele & Eriksen, a non existent forward line and central midfield based on fitness and quality we would usually play?

Let's take a look at the starting XI, the one where we were so limited in numbers we had to not only changed our desired formation but the way we play as well due the strengths of those up top:

Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Rose
Wanyama
Eriksen
Dele (broken hand so not fully fit, this needs to be remembered)
Lucas
Llorente

Ajax played a fully fit starting XI, if we had that luxury our starting XI would have not only had a different formation but a different philosophy to our play as well. It wouldn't have been closer to:

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Winks
Sissoko

Eriksen
Dele
Son
Kane

Vertonghen only lasted 30 minutes last night so that's 6 of our best players we couldn't rely on last night. Even our best backup, Lamela wasn't fit. We had to rely on a 34 year old man who hasn't even made the subs bench on 10 occasions this season despite a fully fit campaign when others have been unfit.

Dele has a broken hand but that's soon forgotten because he's taking to the pitch. Let's take players of similar importance to Kane, Son, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier, Lamela & a fully fit Dele out of ANY team in the world and see how they get on.

People need to get real. Yesterday's performance wasn't good enough but neither was our starting XI. We are balancing building a football club with paying off a stadium, there will be some required weak areas and they currently stand in our backup numbers. Sadly it's a risk we need to take to grow and it hit us yesterday.

Last nights team was a Carabao Cup team, not by choice but by default. Suck it up and stop wallowing in the aftermath of it. We've played 59 competitive games this season and only had Dele, Eriksen, Son & Kane take to the field together for 10 of them. It's shit luck but don't slag the team off because of health & circumstances, it really isn't fair
No poor form excuses, that was the game Dele and Cristian really had to step up and prove they belong in this level.

Even during the 2nd half, when we gained the momentum, neither of them really bothered himself to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

To succeed at this level, the desire to win and the will to fight are just as if not more important than individual and collective quality.

No poor form excuses, that was the game Dele and Cristian really had to step up and prove they belong in this level.

Even during the 2nd half, when we gained the momentum, neither of them really bothered himself to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

To succeed at this level, the desire to win and the will to fight are just as if not more important than individual and collective quality.

You do realise they had 2 full days to recover before the game yesterday don't you? Ever run around like a maniac and then tried running again 2 days later? Ever tried playing football with broken bones before? People need to chill a little

This melt is calling for Poch to be sacked.

Deary me - what have we become ...
You react to nothing. You're a spoilt, miserable little boy who thinks he knows everything and in actual fact knows nothing. I'm not going to waste any more of precious time responding to your nonsense. You'll get GIF responses and that's all you deserve. Give it a rest.

Two complete thick cunts who obviously think Poch is still a footballer.

Here is the post where I called for “Poch to be sacked”

Poch has got it wrong....I don’t care how nice someone is off the pitch if they are crap on it.

So in your pair of mongoloid heads, I think that Poch is too nice off the pitch but crap on the pitch. And I want him to be world class?

It doesn’t make sense really does it boys. To anyone with half a peanut for a brain, it was obvious that Poch has got it wrong by prioritising nice players over quality ones.
I don’t care if someone is a tosser, if they deliver.

Pair of absolute fuckwits

Two complete thick cunts who obviously think Poch is still a footballer.

Here is the post where I called for “Poch to be sacked”

So in your pair of mongoloid heads, I think that Poch is too nice off the pitch but crap on the pitch. And I want him to world class?

It doesn’t make sense really does it boys. To anyone with half a peanut for a brain, it was obvious that Poch has got it wrong by prioritising nice players over quality ones.
I don’t care if someone is a tosser, if they deliver.

Pair of absolute fuckwits

Oh, fuck off and drown in your mum's vagina, you know-nothing, anti spurs, anti Poch waste of space. You've been found out for the gooner that you are. Pipe down

Last edited:
I dont care if everyone says dembele is knackered... im sure he would have been a huge influence over the past few weeks.
(Im still in mourning btw).
Just hope the club backs a summer spend, i do agree competition for places is a healthy thing.

Back
Top Bottom