Paulo Gazzaniga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gazziniga good enough to replace Lloris as 1st choice keeper?

• yes

Votes: 62 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 83 57.2%

• Total voters
Gazza has done extremely well since taking over. He's better as a shot stopper than I thought he'd be. I noticed early he wasn't confidently catching shots as much but he's been better at that recently too.

Can't say he's cost us any games either which is impressive for a backup.

I don't know about that, he gifted United the first goal at Old Trafford with an awful attempt at a save.

He's playing well though and Hugo will have to earn his place back. Mourinho will not accept a keeper who makes repeated errors. He would rather have a less talented but more stable keeper than someone who can concede a goal when there is no danger. Hugo will have to go to a new level to return to the first XI.

Hes a shot stopper, thats all he is. Thats why hes a number 2. And even then he gets done on his near post. Hollywood saves do not make a goalkeeper

Everybody's called a pen but what else could he do after he missed the ball? Momentum took him into the Chelsea player. If he had made contact with the ball it would not have been a foul.
I know the majority see it as a foul but that's my feeling (totally unbiased).

Hes a shot stopper, thats all he is. Thats why hes a number 2. And even then he gets done on his near post. Hollywood saves do not make a goalkeeper

Hugo is constantly getting done on his near post. Letting in silly goals, howlers and poor distribution are literally Hugo’s things, along with a tipple and a short drive.

Everybody's called a pen but what else could he do after he missed the ball? Momentum took him into the Chelsea player. If he had made contact with the ball it would not have been a foul.

But he didn’t make contact with the ball, did he? He steamed in and tried to clear it with a kungfu kick instead of using his gloves.

If (if) he touches the ball then I agree, its not a pen. Its a clearance, job done. The thing is he has absolutely no need to do a Bruce Lee impersonation just before half time. He is a goalkeeper, in his own box, wearing gloves. Its a foul all day long.

To be fair, his distribution is pretty spectacular.

But yeah, there's a reason he's been a number two everywhere he's been.

Didnt mention Hugo on here, but OK, I agree

I know, your were referring to Paolo, but I was just showing Hugo is prone to it too. It’s a couple of howlers for sure, though. Not sure what the short term answer is. We re-signed a broken keeper and we have kids.

Hugo is a world class keeper at times prone to error whereas Gazza is an average keeper with poor decision making and too slow off his line. They are not even comparable.

Back
Top Bottom