Park Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

thing is, being a steward is a pretty terrible job. You can't watch the game, you get untold abuse from both the fans and the management who are clearly bollocking them all (including S3) to get everyone to sit down. I hate the whole getting everyone to sit down thing but it's also a bit much calling someone a cunt for just doing his job.

The real problem is that they only seem to crack down on it sporadically rather than every game.

They just need to get a standing section and make it legal to stand. It's a pretty stupid rule really.

Until they do, it's a miserable life for a steward I think.

BTW "bit much for calling someone a cunt for doing his job" - please don't make out like I compared the two "jobs" because it's not what I'm doing, but what you've said there is axiomatic rather than context-specific, and I feel the need to counter: the obvious example being could you call a concentration camp guard a cunt for doing his job?

You can't argue they aren't cunts on the stance you've taken, because lots of them clearly are cunts, regardless of whether they are just doing their job or not.

To be fair most of them watch the game anyway, and it's just something they do at weekends (not like a proper salary).

If there's two people standing up in the front row, fair enough. An entire block standing up in full voice, not fair enough. Expect to be called a cunt.

Park Lane Ninja said:
thing is, being a steward is a pretty terrible job. You can't watch the game, you get untold abuse from both the fans and the management who are clearly bollocking them all (including S3) to get everyone to sit down. I hate the whole getting everyone to sit down thing but it's also a bit much calling someone a cunt for just doing his job.

The real problem is that they only seem to crack down on it sporadically rather than every game.

They just need to get a standing section and make it legal to stand. It's a pretty stupid rule really.

Until they do, it's a miserable life for a steward I think.

Deserve all they get IMHO, if you don't like it don't do it. Plus if they were fans they would be standing singing with the rest of us.

Nah this is the thing, when I see them, I highly doubt 1% of them gives a toss about Tottenham. They aren't this club, they just get paid to harass the supporters. Like you said, it is not a salary, it isn't a job they are doing because it's the only way they could find to feed their kids. And I stand further back in PL whenever I have the chance, quite often there are ten rows in front of me standing, then one of them will have a go at someone in my row, telling them to sit down.

What, and pay forty notes to look at someone's head? While you get paid to treat me like a child?

No, I don't have sympathy. None.

tbf they threw out a pissed bloke that was smoking in the stand.

Chinese whispers ensued to fit the us against them supporters/stewards narrative.

Lot of the stewards are cunts but they're just doing a job. Got much more of a problem with those at the club that piss on us from the lofty heights tbh.

HarryHotspur said:
And they through someone out for falling asleep in his seat! I mean, if the games shit and its putting him to sleep, how is it his fault?!

Bit harsh, for all they know he could have bought the seat for the purpose of a nap and no interest int he game. Still paid.

tehTrunk said:
tbf they threw out a pissed bloke that was smoking in the stand.

Chinese whispers ensued to fit the us against them supporters/stewards narrative.

Lot of the stewards are cunts but they're just doing a job. Got much more of a problem with those at the club that piss on us from the lofty heights tbh.
S3 is a cunt tbf

If S3 is the one I think he is (glasses, Mediterranean/ Greek, in his 40s), then he's been there for donkey's years. I sometimes talk to him at half time on the concourse, although he's often patrolling the toilets for smokers at half time with the older rasta guy. He's told me everything I know about the NDP, but you can tell he thinks he's the man.

The thing is, most of the stewards are young, in their 20s, and demand no respect at all from fans, especially in the Park Lane. They are reluctantly trying to get people to sit down when they know they're fighting a losing battle and they do it half-heartedly, knowing that as soon as someone starts 'stand up if you hate Woolwich', everyone will stand again. Then their supervisors, like S3, give them a bollocking and make them do it all over again, 40 times per match. Everyone involved hates it, but it's a Premier League rule, even though it's a shit rule.

I would imagine that those young guys just need a paid job (25% youth unemployment, etc., and probably far higher in the Tottenham area). They probably hate every moment, just like the poor guys behind the concourse bars. They're on a hiding to nothing because the system is so rubbish, there's not enough bars, they clearly don't have adequate training and can't handle the pressure. I've even heard them racially abused by our fans. They probably all go home thinking we're a bunch of cunts. Telling them not to apply for the job is a bit harsh.

As Trunk alludes to, it's the inconsistency over standing that's the biggest issue. I vary between blocks 33-35 and from about row 10 to the very back. The further back you are, the less the stewards make you sit down, presumably because they have to work from the front to the back, otherwise it doesn't work. But I've also got some mates who sit/ stand in the very corner of the Park Lane Lower where it meets The Shelf and they are allowed to stand for the entire match. That just doesn't make sense.

It's a shame that it has to be like this - the people doing their jobs are getting hated, sometimes for good reason, sometimes unfairly. The likes of S3 are a particular breed - been at the club for ages, think they're doing the club a service and are proud of it. But they can be officious, pedantic and over-zealous. Basically, everyone thinking everyone else is a cunt is a very sad state of affairs.

Just had a random memory the other day of the steward in the Park Lane who got a bit famous through one of those early golden photoshop threads - he was a bit serious but alright really - was thinking S3 but doesn't fit the description here. Maybe S2?

Not sure what forum it was on, maybe this or COYS or Glory-Glory. Don't suppose anyone knows what I'm on about?!?

Back
Top Bottom