Palermo midfielder Josip Ilicic is a reported January target

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Palermo midfielder Josip Ilicic is a reported January ta

Unless we are preparing for the departure of Modric? Don't know otherwise.

Surely the priority being a striker, we can't spend anything like 20 mill on a midfielder unless we are going to need to replace the peacock.

Ilicic isn't really a midfielder, he's more in the van der Vaart mold as something of a withdrawn forward or a traditional #10 ...

I'm a bit of a Palermo fan and love watching them play, Ilicic is really quite a good prospect. He's quite a bit bigger and more physical than most "tricky" attacking players at 6'3", and he's a solid finisher - especially on his favored left foot.

30m might be a bit much, but he's got clear star potential and physically should be able to fit into the PL very well. With him being Slovenian, he would probably bed in quickly with our Croatian contingent too. I'd be very happy to see him in a Spurs shirt as vdV's deputy and cover for this or next season with an eye on being his long term replacement.

Oh, and it's not like we don't already have one big physical attacker with a hammer left foot who loves power slides on his knees and giving the heart sign when he scores. What's wrong with 2?

1319131_full-lnd.jpg

Obligatory Youtube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVUIF0pEk0[/youtube]

I would also add - maybe we should just sign Palermo's scouting staff. They do an absurd job spotting talent around the globe at a young age. So, so many young stars they bring in that nobody else even sniffed. At the end of the '09-'10 season Ilicic was buried on a team that had just been relegated from the Slovenian top division (!) and was being sold to another Slovenian club (Maribor). Palermo nabbed him for about 2.3m Euros. Now he's going to be easily sold for 20m+

Kjaer, Cavani, Pastore, Ilicic and Hernandez ... all in the past few years, and that's just the best players, there's been a bunch more mid-level Serie A players they've brought through too. It's insane.

that looks immense, if you fancy it, you should start up a Serie A thread on the General Football forum, I try and watch as much as I can on ESPN. Some great game this season.

I know he plays deeper, but with his stature could he be more of a possible back-up for if Ade doesn't fancy a permanent move?

Were we not linked with him at the beginning of the summer too?

Sibs said:
I know he plays deeper, but with his stature could he be more of a possible back-up for if Ade doesn't fancy a permanent move?

Were we not linked with him at the beginning of the summer too?

I don't think he's ever played up top really - he likes to drop very deep ala vdV and is at his best finding those holes in between MF and defense. As he matures, he'll probably play more and more as a true forward (as vdV has done as well) but right now I don't think I'd view him as an Adebayor replacement.

He definitely is the kind of player we should be after though - he's physically capable of playing in the PL but is very skilled with the ball at his feet and is used to playing an expansive, attractive, attacking style of football already. Heck, you can make a good case that along with Spurs, Palermo play the most attractive football on the continent (in particular, the '10-'11 team that just said "fuck it" and played with Miccoli/Hernandez up top with Pastore and Ilicic as dual #10's and the fullbacks bombing the flanks was gorgeous and unbelievably entertaining and fun loving)

I think the Palermo player you were thinking of in terms of summer links to Spurs was the young Uruguayan striker Abel Hernandez, who appears to be a terrific talent but isn't quite as polished yet as Ilicic. He's probably a year or two away from really breaking through in terms of being a 20+ goal player. He'd be the Adebayor understudy if we're talking about Palermo prospects though - he's an out and out striker. He's got a touch of Balotelli in him too, he's a bit of a fun loving clown and fans love him. I think he'll be at Palermo for a while longer, it's a comfortable situation for young talent to grow up in. That being said, in a year or two - watch out. He's got a chance to be Eto'o type good.

More obligatory Youtubes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQeAxPaMbwM[/youtube]

Which happens to be the shittist celebration I've ever seen. Fucking emo.

Back
Top Bottom