Palace Vs Tottenham - FA Cup 4th Round.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So your saying we should be happy with finishing top 4 every season, that what Woolwich use to do and look how it ended for them at lest they got a game cup here and there

We need to win something end off
Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to win trophies. I just believe that focusing on cups is not a good thing.

The best team wins the league. The best team (usually) doesn't win the cup.
There is luck in the cup. All it takes is to have 1 bad half of football and you're out. Or you could play really well and just come up against a side playing out of its skin.
Look at the last few winners: Chelsea, Woolwich, ManU. None of them were great teams the year they won, they all finished outside the top 4.
Look at City breaking records last season, reaching 100 points. They went out in the 5th round vs Wigan. City had almost 85% possession and Wigan had only two shots at goal. City were playing a full strength team too (Aguero, Sane, Silva etc). And they still lost.

I want the team to win all cups they enter. But to me they are a dice roll and seasons should not be planned around them. Hopefully soon we can get in more depth which will turn the odds more in our favour. The only way that will happen is more top 4 finishes.

My ideal finish (apart from winning the league) is top 4 plus a cup. None of this hypothetical questions asking us to pick one or the other.

Hoping it'll be better next year for tottenham, but with this result I believe next season will be a season of greater change than seen since Poch's first season.
(hoping for the best, but expecting tottenham to finish top 6 next year, but top 4 this year)

If we are just content with top 4 because of that amazing money it brings, the best of our players wont fulfil their ambitions of winning something in their lives. The likes of Eriksen, Vertonghen, etc have given a huge chunk of their playing careers to us. If I was Eriksen I wouldnt want to sign a contract with a club whose intention is only to be in the top 4. I know football is all serious business and money money.. but as a fan of these players I dont want them to remain nearly men bottlers.

I understand theres all kinds of fans who support the club in different ways. Some want the top 4 and to just be in the CL, others want us to win trophies since its been over a decade when we won something.I used to be in the first category until some years ago, but now that we have been in the CL many times and not won anything at all, I am more inclined towards the 'win something' group. Not that I have any problems with your excitement for the top 4.

Conceding to the notion that until we get a couple of years in the new gaff under our belt, we can't inject this team with the requisite amount of talent to sustain a league push whilst not suffering random cup form (or vice versa depending on your individual 'onus' as a fan). If we accept that we need CL money to reach said spending levels either way....

Why must it be considered "settling for top 4"?

What's wrong with considering it "prioritizing the league"... What I mean by that is if you look at this team, we seem to be strongest over the long haul; actually coming close twice(*). Does this not also feed more into our best players' aspirations when compared to 'bobbling around 6th', a domestic cup final most years and football gods permitting a win in 1 or 2?

(*Subject to previous mass debate obv. :) )

I've seen us compared to them an un-savoury amount of times today already, but look at the Gooners... Is what they have right now gonna make (eg) Eriksen see Barca in a different light? I doubt that....

Last edited:
Your club has no money for transfers

No money for loan deals

LOL... Sounds familiar so far.

We can even afford to leave a guy on 350k a week out the team

Ummmmm... Perhaps you can't either, but you fucked yourself anyway playing big-time charlies for over-rated, lazy players.

When was the last time you one something????

Lol..........

Whens the last time you cunts played a game at home?

19-fucking-13!!!

:avbfu:

Never has this ever been so fitting:

CvNwWPNXYAI4KLk.jpg

DAN IS THE MAN
TottenhDAN IS THE MAN
TottenhaDAN IS THE MAN DAN IS THE MAN
TottenhDAN IS THE MAN
TottenhaDAN IS THE MAN
Tottenham fans are raging over lack of signings but Daniel Levy deserves respect
mDAN IS THE MAN
Tottenham fans are raging over lack of signings but Daniel Levy deserves respect
fans are raging over lack of signings but Daniel Levy deserves respectam fans are raging over lack of DAN IS THE MAN
sDAN IS THE MAN
ignings but Daniel Levy deserveDAN IS THE MAN
s respectDAN IS THE MAN
Tottenham fans are raging over lack of signingsDAN IS THE MAN
but Daniel Levy deserves respectDAN IS THE MAN
Tottenham fans are raging over lack ofDAN IS THE MAN
TottenhDAN IS THE MAN
TottenhaDAN IS THE MAN
mDAN IS THE MAN
fans are raging over lack of signings but Daniel Levy deserves respectam fans are raging over lack of DAN IS THE MAN
sDAN IS THE MAN
s respectDAN IS THE MAN
signings but Daniel Levy deserves respect
mDAN IS THE MAN
sDAN IS THE MAN
s respectDAN IS THE MAN
At the end of all this Lol......must be worn off his keypad......lol......:llorishuh:

the lack of depth is exposing, bt on the other hand cannot deny the bad luck. usually when kane doesnt play well or injured, son can step up, and when son doesnt play well, Alli can step up. But having a trio of core players out at same time is unprecedented and will hurt the tempo of any team i guess. The only silver lining is their injury is not expected to be too long.

I'm not asking you about style of play or your reflections upon Spurs themselves (yet). Nor the literal sense of who has the most.]

I'll start again.

Are you aware of the traditional notion of the proverbial "cup team"?

By my reckoning/recollection you'd be assumed to be referring about upper mid-table teams (pre-europe slot etc.).... Teams not quite good enough for a league title challenge, but safe and still considered good enough for a deep run, if not a trophy....

Back in the day: Us, Everton, Woolwich, Villa... whoever fits that bill for you, but funnily enough teams that also have a decent cup record.

Transpose that today and I suggest that turn of phrase would have never taken hold. Look at who's usually left within 2 rounds of EPL involvement; we're usually down to 3 of the top 5 or 6 and a couple of others contrary to form or logic (freakishly seeming to be relegation strugglers).

Every year it's the same; the teams deemed to be 'good for a cup' run but not much else do fuck all.

Is it not fair to say that (broader than Spurs) the emphasis/prioritization has changed with regard to the the domestic cups...?

If so I think we have two 'arguments' here:

1. Are we as fans mad with the club/manager/players for, in simple terms not saying 'fuck the money and the long-term, the fans want any trophy'?

or

2. Are we mad at football for being the commercial shit-house it is today.

I'd like to think we can keen them separate whilst this whole 'autopsy' continues to take place.

Random additions:

- Time of year of the early rounds of the FA CUP is a bitch if you got anything else going on.
- If we'd have won the League Cup this year we'd have had to beat WHam/Arse/Chavs/City in succession...

Makes no difference how it's dressed up.

We have had ample opportunity in the last 5 years and beyond to have won a cup competition. I think certain teams have players that are most likely to prevail in one-off games but of course the last 4 or final tends to be between 1 or 2 of the big 6. That should include us.

Just the law of averages if nothing else says we should have won a cup competition once in the last decade.

And my reasoning that we haven't is that we fall betwixt 2 stools.

Put a Bale, Ginola, Berbatov or Gascoigne in any of our sides of the last 5 years and we would have and the reason is they believed they were better than anyone else on the pitch.

Those posts still make more sense than half the cunts on here, why does it have to take the equivalent of an Independence Day gooner invasion before the people of the world unite for good?

Before he got here there were enough people on here ripping the shit out of each other all with stupid opinions, this place is basically uninhabitable when we lose now

Whether he is rogue or not, there was also much to ponder about what he or she was writing.

So we can lambast and go on all day long about those who lose their heads and perspective when we suffer a defeat but the idea we should all be content at going out of the only 2 things we stand a realistic chance of winning with equanimity is just as fanciful to me.

See Chelsea abd Sarri. Brave enough to publicly criticise their best player. To say I need another striker.

Who is in the final of one competition and into the next round of another and who isn't?

Different models of course but we continue to flatter to deceive.

Not sure whether its i'm still numb from Thursday,but i couldn't get the hump yesterday.
Don't get me wrong,i am gutted we are out of the Cup, but i didn't get wound up like i normally would.

Last edited:
Poch only this week said he is always open to making the squad better. He's no mug, he just knows that to get a player of better quality in will come at a premium price he probably isn't prepared to pay.

Would Grealish improve the squad? Definitely in my opinion even if he isn't the glamour name some want, does it warrant chucking £40m at. He takes everything a team the club from top to bottom seriously I believe and should be lauded for it. He knows where we can improve but he also respects the phase the club is in when it comes to some many different facets

So with the money we made on Dembele that fee becomes 30 million?

If we can't match the money Bournemouth are spending in the transfer market then we are truly fucked at improving on this squad.

"To Dare Is To Do" is fast becoming a fucking joke, and before anyone mentions the cost of Danny Boy's new gin palace, i was led to believe that transfer funds were "ring fenced"?

Back
Top Bottom