Palace Vs Tottenham - FA Cup 4th Round.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not saying he's a bad keeper, on the contrary.

Can he improve ? Of course he can and I hope he does and it seems he has the right temperament to do just that.

I think he is a very,very, very good 2nd keeper, but at the moment that's what he is.

I agree. He's a very impressive 2nd choice who is rumoured to have cost peanuts. He's been a good bit of business when other backup goalies have cost teams £12m-£13m etc

With a bit of work, some confidence etc he could see more first team action but that's still a fair bit off as he goes through the motions of stepping up from 3rd choice to 2nd

I agree. He's a very impressive 2nd choice who is rumoured to have cost peanuts. He's been a good bit of business when other backup goalies have cost teams £12m-£13m etc

With a bit of work, some confidence etc he could see more first team action but that's still a fair bit off as he goes through the motions of stepping up from 3rd choice to 2nd
In fairness to Gazza, at SB I was right above the goal and, in real time, it was a very tough one for any keeper, both with the deflections and the wet surface. Chavs had the sprinklers on before the game which would have made it harder for goalies (I guess) - which makes it a shame that we didn’t try and shoot more often, early and from distance.

In fairness to Gazza, at SB I was right above the goal and, in real time, it was a very tough one for any keeper, both with the deflections and the wet surface. Chavs had the sprinklers on before the game which would have made it harder for goalies (I guess) - which makes it a shame that we didn’t try and shoot more often, early and from distance.

Through a sea of players, through two people's legs it's a reactionary save more than anything. Granted he needs to expect a deflection or touch doesn't happen but I think the greater fault in the goal was not having a Spurs player on the edge of the box in case the ball ended up in the middle like it did

I am a member of the goalies union and the Kante goal was a poor one, he got nothing behind it.
I can overlook that one though as he has had some very good games.

The Palace one, I don't blame him at all but it has to be said, if it was Hugo people would talking about "weak wrists".

He is a good shot stopper and has great distribution but he doesn't seem to command his area. He has looked a bit hesitant at times.

He is a very good keeper but at age 27 you have to ask why he has never been first choice at a top league team, apart from one season at Vallecano.
Then you must have been fooled by deflections from shots into a crowded area, and know how daft you feel when it goes past you but you're set up all wrong to block or save it. I have and I only started playing in goal when I couldn't keep up with playing outfield. A double deflection from a ball at that speed can make any keeper look an arse.
IMHO

Then you must have been fooled by deflections from shots into a crowded area, and know how daft you feel when it goes past you but you're set up all wrong to block or save it. I have and I only started playing in goal when I couldn't keep up with playing outfield. A double deflection from a ball at that speed can make any keeper look an arse.
IMHO
If it was a big deflection, or even one that took it past you at close quarters at speed, then yes.
Keepers train for deflections all the time.
When a ball is coming straight at you through a crowd of legs (or even when there are no defenders in the way) you should stay on your feet as long as possible and use your feet to clear the ball. (see De Gea)
You can't do anything for one that deflects away from you (no need to feel an arse) but one that goes through your legs, you do feel an arse and I guarantee that Gazza himself would feel he should of done better.

If it was a big deflection, or even one that took it past you at close quarters at speed, then yes.
Keepers train for deflections all the time.
When a ball is coming straight at you through a crowd of legs (or even when there are no defenders in the way) you should stay on your feet as long as possible and use your feet to clear the ball. (see De Gea)
You can't do anything for one that deflects away from you (no need to feel an arse) but one that goes through your legs, you do feel an arse and I guarantee that Gazza himself would feel he should of done better.
Everyone beats themselves up for missing a deflection, it's that crushing feeling of helplessness that never leaves you.
I'm sticking with my assertion that it's wrong to make out that it was a simple save missed.
The defence rests
As it did when Kante scored

Everyone beats themselves up for missing a deflection, it's that crushing feeling of helplessness that never leaves you.
I'm sticking with my assertion that it's wrong to make out that it was a simple save missed.
The defence rests
As it did when Kante scored
Ok
We'll agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom