Our Squad 2019/20 - and the Rebuild !

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sell to buy didn't work out with Rose and Aurier - and the upgrade would have been worth the short term issues of bedding in the new signings.
At this rate a squad full of total strangers would perform better.

We have a good raft of midfielders and I think many will continue to develop and improve. We should buy in some prospects to develop as squad players. I like John McGinn of Hibs - he has quality and could be up to our new elite standard in a couple of year's time

Here is where I mentioned McGinn in early 2016. Around the same time I was saying we should also sign Tierney.

The value of my vision is now, unfortunately, easy for you all to quantify. McGinn and Tierney would have cost us a combined fee of under 15m. And in this calendar year their inclusion in the first team squad would be central to our new era.

I'm certain Levy would have sponsored this kind of recruitment.

Here is where I mentioned McGinn in early 2016. Around the same time I was saying we should also sign Tierney.

The value of my vision is now, unfortunately, easy for you all to quantify. McGinn and Tierney would have cost us a combined fee of under 15m. And in this calendar year their inclusion in the first team squad would be central to our new era.

I'm certain Levy would have sponsored this kind of recruitment.

Only thing against either would be that neither would be considered as Home Grown, but would be considered as 'Overseas Trained'

As you probably know there is a limit of 17 Overseas Trained players in the squad, and we rarely have spaces - so it should be 'reserved' for top players we are attracting.

One of the problems in recent years is that the last HG youngster we recruited as a punt was Dele - since then our 'punts' have been 'overseas trained' whether N'Jie, Nkoudou, Jansen, Foyth and I'd probably put Aurier into that list too.

In turn that has meant we have 'clogged up' our overseas trained player numbers (whilst having spare slots for HG players) and in turn that has stopped us being able to buy some of the 'top overseas trained players' we want to buy - probably most noticeably last summer when we were clearly trying to sell Aurier and Wanyama but with neither going we couldn't buy.

So McGinn and Tierney as punts to buy a couple of years ago would have been in competition with the 'N'Jie, Nkoudou, Jansen, Foyth and Aurier' of the squad. Maybe we bought wrong - but again I'd have preferred to buy Robertson off Hull as HG with PL experience for £8m....but we didn't !

Haven't read all of the responses but I've got some time to kill so fuck it:

GK: New GK/Gazzaniga/Whiteman

LB: Sess/Davies
CB: Verts/Sanchez/Foyth/New CB
RB: New RB/New RB/KWP

DM/CM: New DM/Sissoko/N'Dombele/Winks/Dier
AM: Lo Celso/Son/Dele/Lucas/Lamela
ST: Kane/Parrott/New ST

In terms of first choice we're looking at 3, maybe 4, which isn't going to be cheap, nor will likely happen in one summer. For all of the pessimism at the moment there's definitely some good potential in that squad but I feel like it's stacked full of good players and not many world class players (Kane and Sissoko aside :)).

Thought it might be worth capturing Mourhino's first thoughts on a few of our players, taken from a Q & A at today's pre match press conference :

In code - I don't trust him as a defender ?

'Eric Dier, do you see him as a central midfielder or a centre-back going forward?

Both. He can be both. He's a good player, an intelligent guy, loves Tottenham, we love him. As I was saying, it's a decision for the team. It was a decision the team needs at the time and he's one of the guys who easily understands that meaning. For him, the team is everything and you find sometimes in football some players when they are more important than the team. It's about them, them, them and when they remember there is a team. Eric is not that. Eric is about team, team, team. He understood and he's ready for tomorrow.'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom