Our scouting

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Damien Comoli on TalkSport saying Spurs scouting network is the butt of jokes in the football scouting community, as they don't have a network. He also says that has one of the smallest team of backroom staff across Europe. There appears to be no structure.

Levy going for the cheap as fuck option ..... Well I never, what a fucking surprise

“If the board or the chairman feel the club is not functioning properly it’s up to them to sit down and review the situation.

“From the outside, what I can tell you is that among the top 20 clubs in the world, in terms of wealth, Spurs are the only ones who haven’t got a scouting network.

“They are clearly understaffed in this aspect. It has become a kind of joke in the scouting community. They say, ‘have you seen a Spurs scout?’ You don’t see them. I don’t think they’ve got any.

“[When I was at Tottenham] we had 12 full-time scouts. We had a great scouting staff. The scout we had in Italy at the time is now the sporting director at Sampdoria after being sporting director at Monaco. The one we had in Spain is now head of recruitment for a big club in Spain. The one we had in Argentina is now head of recruitment for a club in Italy, so we had a strong scouting network which allowed us to sign all those players. Now it doesn’t seem to be the case."

And there problems don't end there, according to Comolli: “They have this fantastic [training] facility that Daniel Levy and I fought very hard to build but they need some brain power in there.

“If you look at the top clubs in the Premier League, all of them have got five fitness coaches and five physiotherapists just for the first-team but I don’t think Spurs have got anywhere near that at the moment.

“There is a lot to be done to address this situation.”

This better just be bitterness from a former employee. If this is even half true then it's a total embarrassment for the club.

Not bad a current world first 11 would definitely have Modric in it and almost certainly Suarez so pretty tasty finds.
It's all a murky world of people taking responsibility for the good ones and passing the buck on the shit ones i.e Modric and Suarez mentioned but surely concerns over his time a comedy central club QPR, who's recruiting has to be the worst of any club in the past 5yrs, but no doubt he just made the tea there or something.

surely it was scouts further down the food chain that spotted Modric & Suarez and they passed the names up the chain,
wasn't Suarez recommended to us as well but the manager did not want him ?
and that is what it may come down to does the manager want the player, and that may be ok if the manager can "see" a player & if you are staying with that manager,

Claiming to have ''discovered'' Suarez whilst at Ajax is a hoot.

Doesn't take much to discover the best player in one of Europe's top leagues.

If he'd have discovered him at Nacional, or even Groningen then I'd be impressed.

“If the board or the chairman feel the club is not functioning properly it’s up to them to sit down and review the situation.

“From the outside, what I can tell you is that among the top 20 clubs in the world, in terms of wealth, Spurs are the only ones who haven’t got a scouting network.

“They are clearly understaffed in this aspect. It has become a kind of joke in the scouting community. They say, ‘have you seen a Spurs scout?’ You don’t see them. I don’t think they’ve got any.

“[When I was at Tottenham] we had 12 full-time scouts. We had a great scouting staff. The scout we had in Italy at the time is now the sporting director at Sampdoria after being sporting director at Monaco. The one we had in Spain is now head of recruitment for a big club in Spain. The one we had in Argentina is now head of recruitment for a club in Italy, so we had a strong scouting network which allowed us to sign all those players. Now it doesn’t seem to be the case."

And there problems don't end there, according to Comolli: “They have this fantastic [training] facility that Daniel Levy and I fought very hard to build but they need some brain power in there.

“If you look at the top clubs in the Premier League, all of them have got five fitness coaches and five physiotherapists just for the first-team but I don’t think Spurs have got anywhere near that at the moment.

This better just be bitterness from a former employee. If this is even half true then it's a total embarrassment for the club.
Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Kevin Wimmer, Pau Lopez etc.

Not bad young signings for a shitty scouting system.

The comparison to the staff hoarding that other top sides do is stupid as well.

It's all a murky world of people taking responsibility for the good ones and passing the buck on the shit ones i.e Modric and Suarez mentioned but surely concerns over his time a comedy central club QPR, who's recruiting has to be the worst of any club in the past 5yrs, but no doubt he just made the tea there or something.

He did well scounting the likes of Samba, BAE, Ji-Sung Park, Fabio, Sandro, Krancjar and Tom Carroll for QPR.

He did well scounting the likes of Samba, BAE, Ji-Sung Park, Fabio, Sandro, Krancjar and Tom Carroll for QPR.
What's good about those signings? How did they perform for QPR?
Truth is none of us know for sure what players are scouted by who, wether a player has been tracked by the club for years, or if a player is already known by the manager etc. So all comments are as flippant as those mentioned in the press. It was Comolli for instance that has always taken credit for the signings mentioned (self proclaimed) now it's this fella. We will never know.

Although the importance of a scouting network cannot be argued - Poch's policy of young English talent and academy graduates surely naturally renders it less of a priority?

Although the importance of a scouting network cannot be argued - Poch's policy of young English talent and academy graduates surely naturally renders it less of a priority?
Agree to a point...but the talent still has to be scouted to fill the academy. From Saturday mornings at Hackney marshes & upwards. The scouting network is pretty vast.

Agree to a point...but the talent still has to be scouted to fill the academy. From Saturday mornings at Hackney marshes & upwards. The scouting network is pretty vast.

Of course, I agree.

But, that would mean less need of a global network of 20 scouts for instance

Of course, I agree.

But, that would mean less need of a global network of 20 scouts for instance
That's the part I agree with lol.
However, we do bring young players from abroad into the academy as well. So it's a difficult one to juggle in terms of "how many scouts do we need"?

What's good about those signings? How did they perform for QPR?
Truth is none of us know for sure what players are scouted by who, wether a player has been tracked by the club for years, or if a player is already known by the manager etc. So all comments are as flippant as those mentioned in the press. It was Comolli for instance that has always taken credit for the signings mentioned (self proclaimed) now it's this fella. We will never know.

Apologies Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 I was sarcastic about those QPR signings, all well known names that 'Arry clearly asked for and were signed, not much scouting involved in them and to be honest a failure financially and professionally for them.

I have to tell you I've seen many Academy boys play for and against our school teams, yes a few are head & shoulders better than our school lads, but for most for these "academy boys" who have had professional training/coaching 3 nights a week for 4-6 yrs they are not much better than lads who train 1 hr a week with grassroot coaches
By looking at the Academy lads he is just looking at a small pool

He's a Spurs fan too.

Could be interesting what his remit is. Gonna make a guess, that he has terrific knowledge of Championship and other English leagues, may be this will be used to unearth another Dele Alli??

We probably do have some shortcomings, but then again we seem to have bought well enough since Comolli left that I don't really buy all of this to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom