Our scouting

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sure, if you want to see it like that, then fine. However i still think we really need time to build up our team again. Look at Dortmund right now, I think they've got exactly the same problem as us.
Totally agree that we need to rebuild, but we should have done that already..14 signings in two years. We have tried to rebuild but failed miserably, so now we are looking at yet another overhaul.

Stop scouting foreign players, Buy the very best of British youth .
They will want to come here, we are now getting a reputation of giving the kids a chance.

I suppose the scouts can only say who they rate, they aren't the ones making the final decision. There is no evidence, one way or the other, that our scouts aren't suggesting players but their suggestions aren't being followed up.
So what's the point of scouts if they are possibly not being consulted? Again it seems like someone, somewhere in the hierarchy is not very good at their job.

What gets me is that we have signed foreign players who are not a step up compared to the players we got rid of who would have wanted to stay given the opportunity. So why did we scout and then buy these players. If they are not really improving the squad.

Huddleston - Capoue
Huddleston has a better range of passing, better on his weak foot, better shot, can take free kicks and corners, stronger. Both lack pace but you could argue Capoue is better at breaking up play.

Defoe - Soldado
Defoe has a better shot, faster, better finisher didn't need time to adapt to a new league. It's not like Soldado is a young player that we can develop.

Caulker - chirices (don't know how to spell his name)
Caulker taller, faster better in the air makes less mistakes but still has a lot to improve.

Dawson - Fazio
Both are tall, strong and very slow can't see much difference so far apart from age. But Fazio needs more game time so it's hard to tell.

Livermore - Paulinho
Can't see much of a difference apart from the one nearly costing 20mil.

Siggy - Chadli
I like Chadli but we could have just kept Siggy and saved the money. He's not exactly a step up.

Townsend - Lemala
I know Townsend is still at the club and Lemala is an all round better player. But in the Premier league matches so far this season he's not been much better. Both need to release the ball quicker. Would we have played worse if Townsend started all the games instead. Not really.

We spent all that money on players who are at the same level as the players we got rid of.

What gets me is that we have signed foreign players who are not a step up compared to the players we got rid of who would have wanted to stay given the opportunity. So why did we scout and then buy these players. If they are not really improving the squad.

Huddleston - Capoue
Huddleston has a better range of passing, better on his weak foot, better shot, can take free kicks and corners, stronger. Both lack pace but you could argue Capoue is better at breaking up play.

Defoe - Soldado
Defoe has a better shot, faster, better finisher didn't need time to adapt to a new league. It's not like Soldado is a young player that we can develop.

Caulker - chirices (don't know how to spell his name)
Caulker taller, faster better in the air makes less mistakes but still has a lot to improve.

Dawson - Fazio
Both are tall, strong and very slow can't see much difference so far apart from age. But Fazio needs more game time so it's hard to tell.

Livermore - Paulinho
Can't see much of a difference apart from the one nearly costing 20mil.

Siggy - Chadli
I like Chadli but we could have just kept Siggy and saved the money. He's not exactly a step up.

Townsend - Lemala
I know Townsend is still at the club and Lemala is an all round better player. But in the Premier league matches so far this season he's not been much better. Both need to release the ball quicker. Would we have played worse if Townsend started all the games instead. Not really.

We spent all that money on players who are at the same level as the players we got rid of.

Agreed, think eriksen long term will be good, fazio looks an interesting player from what I have briefly seen of him, soldado is a massive drop from Defoe and paulinho well er.

Lots of bale money spent and not much to show for it, mason and Kane seem to be putting our big money signings in their place, embarrassing.

Agreed, think eriksen long term will be good, fazio looks an interesting player from what I have briefly seen of him, soldado is a massive drop from Defoe and paulinho well er.

Lots of bale money spent and not much to show for it, mason and Kane seem to be putting our big money signings in their place, embarrassing.
I was just thinking about a few years ago when England played and we had six players in the squad the core of the tottenham team and how proud I felt watching them play and how they've been let down by us sold off replaced with average players. And now when England play it's only Townsend making five minute cameos.

I really hope that Kane gets given his chance now and Mason looks like he will be a top player given the opportunity. I'm not against us signing players from abroad by the way. But they shouldn't come at the expense of home grown talent unless they are a big step up in quality.

It does seem the we are often the victim of signing players who show great promise and ability abroad but can't hack it in the Premier League. Mind you, over the seasons, all these smaller fees of 5-10m on players who end up no marks add up, could have been spent on bigger names who are known to produce on a regular basis on the big stage

It does seem the we are often the victim of signing players who show great promise and ability abroad but can't hack it in the Premier League. Mind you, over the seasons, all these smaller fees of 5-10m on players who end up no marks add up, could have been spent on bigger names who are known to produce on a regular basis on the big stage
I agree but unfortunately that window of opportunity has gone. Quality proven players might have joined us a couple of seasons back but we took a risk and it's failing. You need either champions league football, lots of money or a big name manager that top players want to play for we don't have any. We really should have invested the money more wisely when we were an attractive outfit for big players to come and join.

I agree but unfortunately that window of opportunity has gone. Quality proven players might have joined us a couple of seasons back but we took a risk and it's failing. You need either champions league football, lots of money or a big name manager that top players want to play for we don't have any. We really should have invested the money more wisely when we were an attractive outfit for big players to come and join.
Am I too much of an optimist if I believe the name of Tottenham Hotspur alone is enough to attract players of a sufficient calibre? Haha, this is besides the point anyway, Levy seems to disagree with the idea of parting with a substantial transfer fee for a player, £24m spent on 5 average players in close season says everything about the board's intentions

Am I too much of an optimist if I believe the name of Tottenham Hotspur alone is enough to attract players of a sufficient calibre? Haha, this is besides the point anyway, Levy seems to disagree with the idea of parting with a substantial transfer fee for a player, £24m spent on 5 average players in close season says everything about the board's intentions
Nope you're right we can attract top players from teams below us but we'd be paying a lot for them.

What's scary is to think about is West Ham how many of their players would have got into our squad in the past and look at who they got this summer. Three players in Song, Sakho and Valencia who they got for less than Pualinho who on current form would start for us.

Back
Top Bottom