Our scouting

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“If the board or the chairman feel the club is not functioning properly it’s up to them to sit down and review the situation.

“From the outside, what I can tell you is that among the top 20 clubs in the world, in terms of wealth, Spurs are the only ones who haven’t got a scouting network.

“They are clearly understaffed in this aspect. It has become a kind of joke in the scouting community. They say, ‘have you seen a Spurs scout?’ You don’t see them. I don’t think they’ve got any.

“[When I was at Tottenham] we had 12 full-time scouts. We had a great scouting staff. The scout we had in Italy at the time is now the sporting director at Sampdoria after being sporting director at Monaco. The one we had in Spain is now head of recruitment for a big club in Spain. The one we had in Argentina is now head of recruitment for a club in Italy, so we had a strong scouting network which allowed us to sign all those players. Now it doesn’t seem to be the case."

And there problems don't end there, according to Comolli: “They have this fantastic [training] facility that Daniel Levy and I fought very hard to build but they need some brain power in there.

“If you look at the top clubs in the Premier League, all of them have got five fitness coaches and five physiotherapists just for the first-team but I don’t think Spurs have got anywhere near that at the moment.

“There is a lot to be done to address this situation.”

We probably do have some shortcomings, but then again we seem to have bought well enough since Comolli left that I don't really buy all of this to be honest.

Comolli makes glowing comments about the state of things when he was here, but negative after he left. This isn't a self-serving piece at all and I'm sure it's totally accurate.

Back
Top Bottom