Onward and Upward

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The past two matches have given us cause to consider our aspirations...in some ways justifiably but mostly in a healthy way. We weren't going to win the league this season and it is a big ask to finish above United at the best of times, so much so I think only once have they finished out of the top two since the Premier League's inception. But there is so much positive about The Club currently that to allow defeats such as the United and Gooner ones to derail the sense of progress we have made would be Tottenham 1996/97 not the current incarnation of The Club.

My first game was November the 3rd 1986 - we lost 2-1 to Wimbledon, had Graham Roberts and Gary Stevens stretchered off (the former sent off simultaneously) and for 26 years proceeding that we have lived in the shadows of both Woolwich and Chelsea whilst doing our utmost to cause premature heart failure to 90% of our supporters.

I have never been more convinced that Tottenham look like a team who are in an advance position to reclaim our place among the cream of the European crop. It is imperative that the players believe in themselves as much as so many of the supporters do because if they do then we can prepare ourselves for years of enjoying CL music, open top parades and sticking it up them lot down the road figuratively and physically (if you want).

The supporters are what set this club apart from the rest - we have worked our plums (or tits) off to follow the team, buy the shirts, the overpriced, warm carlsberg and endured the mile long walk to Seven Sisters in the pissing rain wondering how Dean Saunders managed to score Villa's winner in that 4-3 match all those years ago....we deserve it and we will have it....I am convinced this is our time.

Back
Top Bottom