One shoe, One movement, One vision

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
There was a moment on Monday night, as the haze lifted from a stray smoke bomb, when clarity reigned once more. As I looked around me at 1392 shoes being waved in the air I realised with total certainty that this was the way it was meant to be. What might have looked odd from the outside made perfect sense to the tightly packed group inside Barnet’s crumbling stadium. For this raucous show of trainers and old boots was not [...]

Continue reading...

There was a moment on Monday night, as the haze lifted from a stray smoke bomb, when clarity reigned once more. As I looked around me at 1392 shoes being waved in the air I realised with total certainty that this was the way it was meant to be. What might have looked odd from the outside made perfect sense to the tightly packed group inside Barnet’s crumbling stadium. For this raucous show of trainers and old boots was not [...]

Continue reading...
How "aware" are the decision makers at Tottenham? Are they taking the 1882 movement seriously? The events of Monday evening are inspiring for sure, will the club grab hold of this "uprising", or will they just ignore the growing numbers of Spurs support who want to see change.
I fear that Tottenham, just like most "business" will want to continue to exploit its customers/fans without properly listening to its customers/fans. What happened on Monday should surely be a positive advert for Safe Standing at the new WHL. I hope so, people only remember the bad things about terraces, when what they should be doing is re-inventing everything that was good about it and doing it so that it is safe. They cant ignore it, surely, i really hope not. COY1882.

When you look at the kind of atmosphere that has been fostered at Dortmund for their home games (last night was a prime example) I can only look on with the hope that the club do see what the 1882 are doing, and see the opportunity that is laid out in front of them. Dortmund have for a few years been seen as "the Hipsters choice" for a club to want to go and watch. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, discerning football fans want to go to Dortmund to experience the atmosphere, people plan trips to go see BvB.
Levy should see that by encouraging such a positive atmosphere, it has generated a demand for tickets.

I know that's a very cynical view, and not really what the whole 1882 thing is about, but it's something that could encourage the bean counters at Spurs to look at what's going on and see it as something they want to get involved in too.

How "aware" are the decision makers at Tottenham? Are they taking the 1882 movement seriously? The events of Monday evening are inspiring for sure, will the club grab hold of this "uprising", or will they just ignore the growing numbers of Spurs support who want to see change.
I fear that Tottenham, just like most "business" will want to continue to exploit its customers/fans without properly listening to its customers/fans. What happened on Monday should surely be a positive advert for Safe Standing at the new WHL. I hope so, people only remember the bad things about terraces, when what they should be doing is re-inventing everything that was good about it and doing it so that it is safe. They cant ignore it, surely, i really hope not. COY1882.

Agree on the listening and exploitation bit but if anyone from the club was there and saw the smoke bombs and people falling over and being stood on after the goal ( I know this isn't mutually exclusive to terracing but perception etc) I wouldn't imagine it would advance the cause for safety or standing. Personally think the 1882 games at Charlton and v Barca would be the ones to influence the club, if at all (sadly)

Agree on the listening and exploitation bit but if anyone from the club was there and saw the smoke bombs and people falling over and being stood on after the goal ( I know this isn't mutually exclusive to terracing but perception etc) I wouldn't imagine it would advance the cause for safety or standing. Personally think the 1882 games at Charlton and v Barca would be the ones to influence the club, if at all (sadly)

"SAFE STANDING"
Ref: Last nights game at BvB v Real.
You can hardly compare Mondays game to anything else, that was the result of a totally unique set of circumstances, pure and unadulterated passion amongst like minded and dedicated supporters of the club that is THFC.
Huge respect to Nev, who came all the way from Leeds, immense.
Not forgetting the crew that made it from Wales also.

"I don’t know if 1882 will eventually make a difference. What I do know is that I will go again but this time I will take others with me and the time after that hopefully they will bring yet more friends and in doing so this movement will grow until it’s voice cannot be ignored any longer"

I Wasn't there, I envy those who was. I haven't heard a single bad thing and heard it was the time of people's lives. I'm Jealous. If over 1300 people feel the same way as those who are talking about it on this site then what is said is true. This event will happen again. The next 1882 event, those 1300 people will not miss it, and this time they will tell and bring more people. When i get to England and WHL, i know i will attend an 1882 event.

"The irony is we never came to watch a football match, we came to support our football Club."

This should be the definition of 1882.

Tottally agree with the OP. I am a proper middle-aged cynic (53 tomorrow if anyone wants to buy me a pint) & i love these 1882 events. I think it might have been PLJ that got me into them - you have a lot to answer for young man! I have been to Barca, Bolton, Coventry & Arse (was at the two Europe games but in my normal block). Loved all of them.

Over the last few seasons i have become increasingly disillusioned with Premier League football in general & this season made the concious decision to do more alternative matches (i still did around 15 first team games).

Thanks to 1882 i have been to Spurs U18, U19 & U21 games & off my own back have i seen Spurs Ladies (now that would be proper laugh as an 1882 game) & 4-5 of my local Rymans Premier League teams games. A much better fan 'experience' at a fraction of the cost!

I support a club not a business - if i merely wanted to support a successful business i might as well choose Tesco vs Asda or MS vs Apple.

Been in Australia for 8 years and am ever so proud of the 1882 movement, and the supporters. I shared the video on my Facebook page and walked around the office with my shoes off and a knowing smile on my face #coys

Cracking article i must say, it sums up exactly how i feel. I'm another disillusioned fan that is none to happy with the modern game. My first game at Spurs was back in 1968 and started going regular from the early 70's onwards, the fan experience and atmosphere was brilliant back then.
I think the average age going to football then was 19, today its 50! We could well be the last generation that went on mass to games when you could pay on the day.

I was at underhill on monday night and was very impressed, not only with the turnout, but the atmosphere and fun generated by us spurs fans, it reminded me how much fun football used to be. It was just great to see so many young people enjoying their football. Sadly many of the young are priced out of the game today.

The club should really take notice of the 1882 movement, its a great thing to encourage the young passionate fans to express themselves by singing for the shirt. I would really like to see the club push for a safe standing section in the new stadium, the planned single tier stand would be ideal. The bundesliga has got it spot on in my book, affordable football that safeguards the future support of its clubs. In Germany and Italy the clubs let fans use it's facilities to make banners and flags to display on match days, why can't we do the same? If there's a will, there's a way! Coys

Back
Top Bottom