Olympiacos vs Tottenham Hotspur (18th September @ 17:55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its ALL about mentality. However, is it fair to flog a dead horse? We needed more than a couple of fresh faces in the summer unfortunately.
And last summer too by the looks of it......This club will no doubt drive Kane away sooner rather than later and if that happens then there is only one option left.....Change of command required.
I see that guy who makes the fancy handbags and the fancy champagne is looking to buy a football club, he’s worth around 85bn quid, so if our French Capitan has any influence with his fellow French entrepreneurs nows the time to speak up young Lloris 🤗

Its gonna take more than a handfull of games to recover from a year and half appalling neglection of the squad went through prior to this summer.
As the manager and team recover, we need to grasp results like today as a stepping stone.
We didn't lose. If Olympiacos were serious contenders they need the win today. And we stopped them getting it
John, I like you, I really do but come on....we were seriously outplayed and we didn't stop them getting the win. The goalpost did. Be honest. Think about the rest of our group and what they'll do to us unless radical changes are implemented asap.

Extremely disappointed with the performance. Sanchez should never play RB ever again. Dele was basically invisible apart from his offside goal and shot on goal in the 2nd half. Davies had a decent assist but otherwise got burned constantly. Clumsy challenge by Jan giving them a penalty. However I thought Winks looked good and would say he was MOTM

We got lucky to leave with a point. Olympiakos looked a threat the whole game. Hopefully we’ll click more as the season progresses. COYS

The only time the word 'IF' ever had any true substance to it.....wise words we would all do well to remember.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling
My favourite poem. Are you quoting in a Welsh or Irish accent?

Weird game in the sense that they out played us in the first half and we were up but we outplayed them in the second and they scored.

Not the worst result but we need to be better at salting games away when we have a lead. The defense is really starting to concern me.

Also, I'm not sure which big club Eriksen is expecting to come in for him if he keeps putting in performances like that. I'm not that prone to hyperbole but he was absolutely dreadful tonight. Real? Barca? Nah mate.

Only managed to watch the 2nd half, but thought it was pretty much 'same old spurs'. We lack any threat from wide positions and have nobody in the squad who can cross the ball. We do well against teams who attack and leave gaps at the back, but when a team sits back and has an organised defense we are poor.

How many times did I see our players walking with the ball, taking 5 or 6 touches!! We move the ball so slowly and allow the other team to regain their shape.

Each of the long balls we played was way over hit.

Stark contrast to the last few seasons that we can bring on the likes of Son, Lamela, and Sissoko off the bench. Some decent strength in depth there.

Can’t say much about their penalty. Vert got a little unlucky there IMO. There other goal was good, not sure what our defence would have done about it.

Watched the highlights of the Athletico game tonight. Boy could we do with Trippier now. Sanchez was the worst player on the pitch yesterday but he is playing out of position.

I think Winks and nDombele are going to make a great partnership once they start to sync with each other.

Not a great result but not a bad result either. 1 better than last year at this stage!

if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle
I find your worryingly binary cis-normative transphobia problematic.

Can't you see that gender is a construct that isn't bound by outdated concepts such as our sexual organs? Frankly I'm amazed that in 2019 we're still using outdated pseudo-fascistic non-intersectional terms such as "aunt" and "uncle".

I've slept on it, and here is my jumbled mess of thoughts.

Ndombele - isn't ready, we know it can take months to adapt to Poches training regime and the premier league, he's blowing out of his arse before the game even starts.

defensive midfielder - we were at our most solid when we had Dier or Wanyama offering a screen to our defense, we need to return to that

Winks - is going to be our prize jewels in a few years when the likes of Kane has moved on, should be the first name on the team sheet

Kane - does he have something in his contract that he can't be taken off or dropped? Poor last night

Dele - has gone backwards, just not good enough to start anymore, Moura and Son are both just far better players.

fullbacks - we don't have any, Davies wouldn't be out of place at Watford, Rose is past it, Aurier is an accident waiting to happen, KWP lacks physicality, both fullbacks should have been addressed in the summer, we are so weak there on both sides that we are getting targetted there

Back
Top Bottom