Olympiacos vs Tottenham Hotspur (18th September @ 17:55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lo Celso, Ndombele.... were they match fit when we signed them. I can't remember.

Lo Celso played in Copa America and then had a 3 week mandatory holiday, so when he joined Spurs a few days after his holiday ended he might have had a handful of days training with Real Betis but likely less.

So arrived having had no real pre season. and not match fit.

But Spurs choice to buy him in that state - we would have known his state since the end of last season as he was a certainty to be called up for Argentina s Copa America squad.

Ndombele joined us at the start of Spurs preseason so had as much preseason training as all those Spurs players joining at the start of preseason. Nobody was match fit at that point - all used the preseason period for training and playing in preseason matches such as the ICC matches to get match fit

Last edited:
As a descendent of Greek immigrants, let me be the first to say that they are a mighty people, and a people who know the greatness of Spurs, and a club that stands no fucking chance against Tottenham.

Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor may say 1-7. I say 0-10. Kane with a double hat trick, Lucas with a hat trick, and Lloris with a worldie.

so-let-it-zmyq6p.jpg

Neither were "injured" when we bought them....

Ndombele scored against Villa on opening day....

Lo Celso played three times before getting injured on int. break.

Pay attention, fella.
I'll wake up. I now remember Ndombele scoring against Villa. I think I must be working too hard.

Wonder if we will qualify for the KO stages the easy or hard way this season, guess we will find out later, a nice professional performance please , 4-0 up at half time then save some energy for Leicester, the only thing that worries me is we underestimate them and make to many changes to the team that are starting to click

To me, Moura has to play here for sure.
So given this and our limitations, I would like to see following squad -

-----------Lloris----------
KWP-Toby-Jan-Davies
----Dier---Ndombele--
-Lucas--Eriksen-Alli---
----------Kane-----------

BTW, I really like the fact that people are saying "Just play the strongest team!" - well isn't that what we are trying to suggest here - what would the strongest team look like?

I believe that fresh Lucas could be useful for the game, and Son would be a brilliant option off the bench. Alli would be an upgrade on Lamela. KWP and Rose have to step in as we don't have any other fullbacks (happy with Davies instead of Rose, not so sure about KWP). And I think that using Dier in a hostile away game could be useful in terms of their agression and threat on the counter-attack.

COYS!!!

To me, Moura has to play here for sure.
So given this and our limitations, I would like to see following squad -

-----------Lloris----------
KWP-Toby-Jan-Davies
----Dier---Ndombele--
-Lucas--Eriksen-Alli---
----------Kane-----------

BTW, I really like the fact that people are saying "Just play the strongest team!" - well isn't that what we are trying to suggest here - what would the strongest team look like?

I believe that fresh Lucas could be useful for the game, and Son would be a brilliant option off the bench. Alli would be an upgrade on Lamela. KWP and Rose have to step in as we don't have any other fullbacks (happy with Davies instead of Rose, not so sure about KWP). And I think that using Dier in a hostile away game could be useful in terms of their agression and threat on the counter-attack.

COYS!!!
How many minutes have dele , Davies and Dier played combined this season? Also son in just hitting a bit of form so to bench him is mental.....
Aurier and rose haven’t travelled so it’s either Sanchez / KWP and Davies as FB
Obviously poch knows more than me, but surely when a team are starting to play well to make more than a couple of changes away in the CL is crazy, especially when those coming in are not even match fit

How many minutes have dele , Davies and Dier played combined this season? Also son in just hitting a bit of form so to bench him is mental.....
Obviously poch knows more than me, but surely when a team are starting to play well to make more than a couple of changes away in the CL is crazy, especially when those coming in are not even match fit

They’ve got to play at some stage mate? They’ve been training, I’m sure they’ll be fine. They won’t be burnt out anyway

Mental? You want to know what is mental? to say that player XX or YY has played = hence he is match fit = hence he should play. And others who have been on the bench = not match fit = should not play.
And this in the period when we have games with 3 days apart? So maybe we should just continue with the exact 11 who played against Palace the whole season? Maybe we could scrap others and save wage money then? :D BTW - in this game - Aurier started (and starred) - how many minutes had he played previously (+during preseason?) - yea. 0. So according to your logic he shouldn't have played?

Look, there are other considerations than time played. I think if Alli has recovered from his injury he should play. Fit Alli is more useful than Lamela. Davies and KWP already have to play due to the fact that they are only fullbacks who traveled there. Now Moura-Son is the biggest questionmark yes- but are you saying that Moura is so much worse option than Son, so that he should just look from the bench most of the games now?

Ndombele seems like our best CM, so just the fact "but our previous game line-up worked well" does not seem like legit point. Because before that, in all other games Sissoko-Winks midfield did not work almost at all (maybe with exception of Woolwich 1st half)... And I've been talking about the need to at least have an option for defensive shield in CM (Ndombele is not yet tracking back yet) so I'd like to see Dier tried there.

The two English clubs' results last night will prove two things:
Either English football is shit, and we're finding out we're not as good as we thought we were...

OR... law of averages would tell you that not ALL FOUR English clubs can lose on the first matchday, so that bodes well for us and Man City tonight!!! Win or at LEAST a draw for us BOTH I reckon!

Just two polar opposite thoughts, to cover every eventuality!

Poch knows more about the physical condition of the players than us. Rose is made of glass and has played every game so far, also playing for England during the break. Aurier played his first match for us in 6 months (and also missed pre-season with his hand injury) and also played during the international break. If they are left at home it's because they are not ready to play.

We have a strong squad and with 3 competitions going on now we need everybody to be involved. We can't just rely on the same 14 players like last season, that destroyed our legs after 5 months.

Its worth noting that Olympiakos are crap and our reserves would probably beat them. Away from home; we should get a comfortable 0-2 win.

(Did I just jinx the result?)

Back
Top Bottom