Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely always thought Edwards had the air of a massive douche about him, right back from when Sherwood first named checked him all those years ago. He comes across as someone who was hugely gifted as a youngster and just kind of fell into football, without actually really loving it. Even if you go through his social media (I know not the be all and end all, but still) he always gave the impression he really didn't give a shit about Spurs or being a footballer in general. In that interview he did after the Gillingham game he just came across as an arrogant toss pot. All of this culminating in that abomination of a loan at Norwich, and really you'd have to question if he will make it at any level unless he drastically changes his mindset.
Onomah is a bit different, I think its more a case with him that he is proper Spurs and does care, but he was just massively overrated and far too much was expected of him.
Not surer that Onomah is overrated. He's probably rated about right for what he's shown against people in the same age group. He's dominated youth football.

The 'problem' with him is that his playing style doesn't easily translate against the bigger bodies and better athletes in men's football. Where he was probably bigger and stronger in the youth game and could brush aside players similar to the way that Dembele does, he can't do the same against men.

I suspect that we'll see a massive improvement in his game as he grows into his body a bit more, spends some time in the gym and physically matures. I'm not writing him off just yet.

Only watched the one half of preseason and the rest was highlights.
This kid does look very impressive.
For those that saw more, where do you rank him within our midfield options: ahead of Amos? Ahead of Onomah? Ahead of Sissoko?

For those that saw more, where do you rank him within our midfield options: ahead of Amos? Ahead of Onomah? Ahead of Sissoko?
The way some are talking, he's ahead of Dier, Dembele, Graham Roberts and Dave MacKay!!

I'm happy I'm not the only one excited by this kid. He look seriously talented, I would be surprised if he didn't get starts in one of the cups this season!

Ahead of Amos. Not ahead of the other 2.

I don't think the point at this stage is him being ahead of anyone, just that he looks like he can hold his own at Snr level (not definitive as these games were pre-season friendlies, so hide a lot of behind the scenes stuff like doing a double training session the day before playing against a side that didn't, or visa versa or traveling out to Spain the morning of the game after flying back from the US 48hrs earlier....etc., etc....).

More than anything for a player his age to have such a great performance(s) whilst wearing the first team shirt for the first time he will no doubt be on cloud 9. Feeling great about the opportunity given to him, feeling great for performing well, feeling great because people have recognised this. Whether he's selected in first team squad, U23's or his own age group (which I doubt as his already playing a level higher) he's in a good place. The motivation for him to improve and push on could not be any higher, I hope.

Everything about his next steps is abut proving himself as a man and having an attitude that fits into the professional we are trying to build. (Based solely on social media activity, which is ridiculously harsh, but it's all I've got, it could be said that Edwards & Griffiths might not fit into the model of professional we are looking for. Massive apology to them if they aren't dicks but just a thought if they are reading this, you really need to adjust your social media persona because you do both come across as knobs). He has the talent as many young lads do, the most meaningful step is the application, the desire, the drive and the attitude.

(*on talent alone, he's ahead of Amos. But speak to those in and around the academy they all say the same thing about Amos and that his attitude is exceptional. I was listening to an interview with Darren Sarll, Manager of Stevenage now Youth Manager at Watford, at the end of last week and he said that Amos has been the best PL loanee he has ever worked with, spoke at length about his attitude and application as the reason why).

Unless he is a freak like Rooney there is no way a 17 year old could have a run of games in the Premier League and perform to the required level because of the physical demands. He can do a job for a game here and there maybe, but to ask him to do more would not be fair to him or the team.
Amos is 21, it is a different story.

Unless he is a freak like Rooney there is no way a 17 year old could have a run of games in the Premier League and perform to the required level because of the physical demands. He can do a job for a game here and there maybe, but to ask him to do more would not be fair to him or the team.
Amos is 21, it is a different story.
It's much more important to integrate Skipp with the first team this season. Training, travelling and spending time with the players. Throw in some minutes in the cups and maybe a few in the PL when a game is truly dead.

Amos can get a more serious look based off of his age, pre-season performances and the praise he got from his loan.

We can afford patience with Skipp.

Ahead of Sissoko???

:levylol:

My piece on the exceptionally talented Oliver Skipp. #COYS The continued rise of Oliver Skipp:

Great read. Really exciting for the future.

Especially liked the opening line of the last paragraph:
“During that game Skipp managed to hold his own in the middle of the park whilst competing with house hold names such as Franck Kessié and Manuel Locattelli
(although i’m not sure everyone would agree :roseunsure:)

One question on a serious point, were he to start in the league cup this season in the double pivot, which of our senior midfielders (Dier, Dembele, Winks, Wanyama) would you play alongside him to get the best out of him?

Great read. Really exciting for the future.

Especially liked the opening line of the last paragraph:
“During that game Skipp managed to hold his own in the middle of the park whilst competing with house hold names such as Franck Kessié and Manuel Locattelli
(although i’m not sure everyone would agree :roseunsure:)

One question on a serious point, were he to start in the league cup this season in the double pivot, which of our senior midfielders (Dier, Dembele, Winks, Wanyama) would you play alongside him to get the best out of him?

I'd say Winks closely followed by Dembele.

My piece on the exceptionally talented Oliver Skipp. #COYS The continued rise of Oliver Skipp:

The way people of the Transfer Thread are going, to prevent a mass suicide can you say in a last sentence :

';Skipp is predicted to become a mainstay of the Spurs midfield in 2018/19, getting the Young Player of the Year, Player of the Year and Ballon d'Or for his stellar performances where he was likened to Paul Scholes, Nobby Styles, Allan Mullery, Kante and Luka Modric by different eminent football commentators before being called up by Southgate as the youngest ever England international'

There ! You will have saved several thousand from mass suicide ! :D:D:D:eek::wall:

Video I hadn't seen before - apologies if posted already

Obviously editing 3 matches into 4 minutes means it can give a misleading impression, but it picks up on a lot of Skipp's forward play as well as more standard DM work

Video I hadn't seen before - apologies if posted already

Obviously editing 3 matches into 4 minutes means it can give a misleading impression, but it picks up on a lot of Skipp's forward play as well as more standard DM work

Start him vs Newcastle. Kid is fearless and has the quality.

Start him vs Newcastle. Kid is fearless and has the quality.

Would love to see this - not sure Skipp could handle a succession of games though as being 17 he would tire (as we saw in the last pre-season game - 3rd start in about a week and after a transatlantic flight and a flight to Spain was just too much, but a few appearances next season must surely be possible

Anyone know what the crack is with Skipp & Amos. Not been making many u23 squads so can only assume they're currently part of the first team set up now the seasons started.

If so that would be some achievement for Skipp seeing as he's still only 17 years old

Anyone know what the crack is with Skipp & Amos. Not been making many u23 squads so can only assume they're currently part of the first team set up now the seasons started.

If so that would be some achievement for Skipp seeing as he's still only 17 years old

I don't think Pochettino likes players in the first team to play with the U23s. Skipp and Amos are both now considered first team players, will train with the first team and travel with them to matches etc.

Though I still think Amos will be sent out on loan by the end of the month, hopefully to a Championship club.

Back
Top Bottom