Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that's pretty tenuous Totti. I'm not sure Kane was a "Spurs" fan as a kid and I don't really care. Townsend was Spurs through and through, but was happy to see him moved on. I just want the best players.

I'm pretty sure Onomah would have given anything to be given more than the 20 minutes of game time he got in his last couple of years, he certainly never lacked effort or attitude.

Kane was definitely a Spurs fan as a kid. He was when I knew him anyway. As is his brother. To be fair, I never knew what team Townsend supported, his brothers were Woolwich supporters though. 100% - but they weren't much footballers, more roadmen. Troy, his father, is a big Spurs fan though.

Townsend wasn't moved on because he lacked desire or effort though, in fact he got in the team and was trusted in many games because of that under Pochettino. He fell out with a staff member. That's a big no no for Poch and was rightfully moved on. I also don't know if Townsend would have been happy to sit on the bench at his age and we got a handsome sum for him.

I wasn't saying I wanted Spurs fans to come through. I was saying it makes sense that players in our academy who SUPPORT Spurs would be likely to work hard and bide their team to get an opportunity to play for the club they love as opposed to being happy with the level of coaching they've received and then wanting to move on (Bennetts, Madueke, Kirby, Griffiths to name a few). In fact, I reckon if any of those four WERE Spurs fans, they probably wouldn't have left. Got no issues with them leaving though, that's the way the game goes.

Last edited:
Spot the difference between Winks, Skipp, Kane, KWP, Edwards and Onomah.

Four of those are Spurs fans, in and around the first team, get chances.

Two of them aren't, didn't work hard enough to stay around the Spurs team and have been shafted out on loan. I guess you have that extra impetus to work hard to play for your boyhood club as opposed to someone who just plays football for a living.

Also probably the main difference between Mason and Bentaleb too after both were first team central midfielders in 2014.

That's not saying that you HAVE to be a Spurs fan to succeed as an academy player, I imagine over half of our academy players don't support the club but I can see how you can take your eye of the ball or lack the desire to want to make it in Tottenhams first team when other youngsters are showing that there is life outside of England etc. - whereas if you ARE a Spurs fan, you're willing to be a bit more lenient when it comes to not getting chances (KWP's case) and continue to work hard for your chance and not want to leave
Onomah is a Spurs fan. A local lad from Enfield.

Onomah is a Spurs fan. A local lad from Enfield.

Is that confirmed? Or are we basing this on where he's from?

I know many people from Enfield who support Woolwich, that's all. I genuinely have no idea who Onomah supports, but know for a fact that the four I mentioned did and made the assumption.

If he is a Spurs fan, I assume it's more of the case that he can't be bothered then and is happy with being 'talented' enough to get a pay-cheque doing his hobbie.

Is that confirmed? Or are we basing this on where he's from?

I know many people from Enfield who support Woolwich, that's all. I genuinely have no idea who Onomah supports, but know for a fact that the four I mentioned did and made the assumption.
100% Spurs fan, my Mrs knows (not well) someone in his family.
From his interview after his debut against Burnley:
“I’m ecstatic, it’s something I’ve been waiting for my whole life – a dream that’s finally come true.

“I’m lost for words, I don’t know what to say, I’m speechless. I’m happy that I got a few touches of the ball and hopefully it’s the first game of many.

“I came into the academy when I was nine. I got scouted playing for a team called Omonia and I was picked up after playing in a school tournament. Ever since then I’ve just been playing for Tottenham.

“I’ve always supported Spurs. I grew up in the area and I’m buzzing to make my debut. Some of my family was there so hopefully, I made them proud.

“The gaffer likes to see young players and if you’re doing well in training he’ll give you a chance. It gives you the confidence and trust that you have a gaffer who can do that. I thank Poch [Pochettino] for this opportunity.”

100% Spurs fan, my Mrs knows (not well) someone in his family.
From his interview after his debut against Burnley:
“I’m ecstatic, it’s something I’ve been waiting for my whole life – a dream that’s finally come true.

“I’m lost for words, I don’t know what to say, I’m speechless. I’m happy that I got a few touches of the ball and hopefully it’s the first game of many.

“I came into the academy when I was nine. I got scouted playing for a team called Omonia and I was picked up after playing in a school tournament. Ever since then I’ve just been playing for Tottenham.

“I’ve always supported Spurs. I grew up in the area and I’m buzzing to make my debut. Some of my family was there so hopefully, I made them proud.

“The gaffer likes to see young players and if you’re doing well in training he’ll give you a chance. It gives you the confidence and trust that you have a gaffer who can do that. I thank Poch [Pochettino] for this opportunity.”

That's re-assuring.

Maybe it's just the case of maturing for him then. Would definitely like to know what happened between getting 19 games for the club in 2016 by the age of 19 years old to only playing 12 more games by the age of 22 - with a World Cup winners medal in there and two unsuccessful loans.

That's re-assuring.

Maybe it's just the case of maturing for him then. Would definitely like to know what happened between getting 19 games for the club in 2016 by the age of 19 years old to only playing 12 more games by the age of 22 - with a World Cup winners medal in there and two unsuccessful loans.
The next step is the hardest, he has the ability it's now about the mental side. 1. Can you play in front of a large crowd? So many people take this for granted but IMO it's, the hardest thing to overcome. 2. Application, working your tits off when he is probably earning £20k pw which for many (i guess all of us on here) would say we've made it when they are earning a £1m per year at 19yrs.

Spot the difference between Winks, Skipp, Kane, KWP, Edwards and Onomah.

Four of those are Spurs fans, in and around the first team, get chances.

Two of them aren't, didn't work hard enough to stay around the Spurs team and have been shafted out on loan. I guess you have that extra impetus to work hard to play for your boyhood club as opposed to someone who just plays football for a living.

Also probably the main difference between Mason and Bentaleb too after both were first team central midfielders in 2014.

That's not saying that you HAVE to be a Spurs fan to succeed as an academy player, I imagine over half of our academy players don't support the club but I can see how you can take your eye of the ball or lack the desire to want to make it in Tottenhams first team when other youngsters are showing that there is life outside of England etc. - whereas if you ARE a Spurs fan, you're willing to be a bit more lenient when it comes to not getting chances (KWP's case) and continue to work hard for your chance and not want to leave

Onomah I don't think has the football brain to play for a big club like Spurs, I think he's proven that with a flakey spell in the Championship & I can't see him cutting the mustard at the required level. Edwards sadly seems like he's got a limited plethora of ability across more than one or two quality abilities which could be his downfall. A huge shame as he really does have something special but is possibly reluctant to learn the other areas in order to develop in a whole manner.

Give me a disciplined, willing to learn batch of academy products instead of a flash boy all day long. Attitude at this level is so important and I don't see enough fight in Onomah & Edwards from what I've seen but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Can see them getting flogged

The next step is the hardest, he has the ability it's now about the mental side. 1. Can you play in front of a large crowd? So many people take this for granted but IMO it's, the hardest thing to overcome. 2. Application, working your tits off when he is probably earning £20k pw which for many (i guess all of us on here) would say we've made it when they are earning a £1m per year at 19yrs.

It's a good point.

I haven't read Poch's book since it first come out but isn't there a mention of Onomah in there? I can't remember if it was particularly positive or not but I just get the impression that if you've somehow managed to piss Pochettino off) - I remember stories of Onomah acting big time Charlie after winning the World Cup (whereas KWP didn't).

Onomah I don't think has the football brain to play for a big club like Spurs, I think he's proven that with a flakey spell in the Championship & I can't see him cutting the mustard at the required level. Edwards sadly seems like he's got a limited plethora of ability across more than one or two quality abilities which could be his downfall. A huge shame as he really does have something special but is possibly reluctant to learn the other areas in order to develop in a whole manner.

Give me a disciplined, willing to learn batch of academy products instead of a flash boy all day long. Attitude at this level is so important and I don't see enough fight in Onomah & Edwards from what I've seen but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Can see them getting flogged

I just think he's probably lazy in all honesty. As Guido posted above, I don't think he works as hard as he should to make it a club our size. Whether he got complacent after getting 19 games for the first team in 2015/2016 - I don't know. But something changed because he was the one Poch was leaning towards. Remember Onomah is YOUNGER than Winks, yet it was Onomah getting all the game time. Within 2 years, Winks has overtaken him, started at the Bernebau and the Nou Camp and Onomah is struggling to start games away at Rotherham.

Edwards is done. Let's be honest. Flopped hard at Norwich. Can't even get in the team over at Excelsior - there's no way back for him now in my opinion. He'll either be flogged in the summer to the highest bidder or sent back out on loan to a club of his choosing. I think Onomah MAY still have a future but this summer is a huge one for him. Knuckle down, work hard, impress in training, do well in pre-season (if he's selected) and you never know.

It's a good point.

I haven't read Poch's book since it first come out but isn't there a mention of Onomah in there? I can't remember if it was particularly positive or not but I just get the impression that if you've somehow managed to piss Pochettino off) - I remember stories of Onomah acting big time Charlie after winning the World Cup (whereas KWP didn't).

I just think he's probably lazy in all honesty. As Guido posted above, I don't think he works as hard as he should to make it a club our size. Whether he got complacent after getting 19 games for the first team in 2015/2016 - I don't know. But something changed because he was the one Poch was leaning towards. Remember Onomah is YOUNGER than Winks, yet it was Onomah getting all the game time. Within 2 years, Winks has overtaken him, started at the Bernebau and the Nou Camp and Onomah is struggling to start games away at Rotherham.

Edwards is done. Let's be honest. Flopped hard at Norwich. Can't even get in the team over at Excelsior - there's no way back for him now in my opinion. He'll either be flogged in the summer to the highest bidder or sent back out on loan to a club of his choosing. I think Onomah MAY still have a future but this summer is a huge one for him. Knuckle down, work hard, impress in training, do well in pre-season (if he's selected) and you never know.
I can't remember, think he did say something about him, but it might have been just hearsay. I wouldn't read too much into it, he recently mentioned Winks has to focus on his football and not what's "outside" the game. I think the biggest indicator is if you are not at Hotspur Way then it's unlikely that you will make it at Spurs (I know when Onomah, CCV and Edwards were loaned out the feeling was Poch had changed his approach but right now these 3 couldn't be further away from getting in the side. It will be interesting the influence that Ryan Mason might have now he's helping with the coaching. Either him saying to Poch that it's good to go on loan or for him to talk with those three, give them some guidance(???)

I think Onomah's problem was he lacked in confidence. At youth level he showed a swagger and class above technically and also in stature but whenever he came on the pitch for the first team...he was a bit bambi on ice. Seemed extremely nervous and second guessing himself. I don't think us fans really appreciate that aspect to a young man playing in front of big crowds for the first time.

That's re-assuring.

The problem was very few of those were actually starts or whole "games" he got something like 96 league minutes in three years, 18 in his last year training with the first team, and not one of those minutes was in midfield.

Even on the pre season tour last summer, after having just won the WC and coming back early, Poch still gave TOB some minutes in midfield and Onomah none.

The problem was very few of those were actually starts or whole "games" he got something like 96 league minutes in three years, 18 in his last year training with the first team, and not one of those minutes was in midfield.

Even on the pre season tour last summer, after having just won the WC and coming back early, Poch still gave TOB some minutes in midfield and Onomah none.

Well, something must have changed. Whether his training levels went down or his attitude changed towards something, I don't know. Pochettino isn't just going to stop giving a highly rated player minutes unless something has happened.

As mentioned, he is a year younger than Winks yet in 2015/2016 at the age of 18/19 years old, he made 19 appearances. Starting 6 of them. Whilst the older Harry Winks played a part in just 2 games..

Fast forward a year on from that season and you have Josh Onomah starting just the 3 games and playing a part in 9 games overall. Whilst Harry Winks went on to play 21 games for us that year, starting 12 of them. The rest as they say is history..

So I imagine something happened either during the 16/17 season or the summer before the 17/18 season started when he was snubbed in pre-season and sent out on loan to Villa. Sadly, none of us really know the truth. Attitude stinks? We don't know. Lazy in training? No idea. But within a year, he got replaced by an OLDER player and shipped out on loan to two Championship clubs whos fans have the same feeling towards him (Lazy, don't seem bothered).

Last edited:
He was tidy. Nothing special, nothing bad.

He did seem to understand his position very well and never seemed to be out of place and need direction from the other players.

It was all plenty good enough for his first PL start.

I think Onomah's problem was he lacked in confidence. At youth level he showed a swagger and class above technically and also in stature but whenever he came on the pitch for the first team...he was a bit bambi on ice. Seemed extremely nervous and second guessing himself. I don't think us fans really appreciate that aspect to a young man playing in front of big crowds for the first time.

I always thought he looked tentative and played within himself, whilst doing nothing wrong as such.

I absolutely love stories like this....the manager has named an 18yr old CM in the squad based purely on the fact he earned it pre season.
We have injuries, we have lots of games, we need rotation, and he uses him.

For me this is what it about, the hope and desire for Skipp to be a midfield Harry Kane.
Same watching Winks development and eventually seeing KWP be first choice.

Nothing like it, give me that any day over Sky’s Transfer Window

Dembele, Wanyama and Dier all out injured until new year.

Something tells me we might just be seeing a bit more of young Oliver Skipp.

Back
Top Bottom