Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rubbish. He looked like a young player that came into a poorly functioning team that seems to have little idea how the manager expects them to play.
That doesn't mean he was good.

He certainly did not impress, and I thought he was really poor to be honest.

But there's a middle ground here because it's obviously extremely difficult to shine as a new player in our current predicament.

Rubbish. He looked like a young player that came into a poorly functioning team that seems to have little idea how the manager expects them to play.

Ditto this for Tanganga and Parrot too....

.....Don't peeps think they'd look a lot more accomplished if playing inside an otherwise well functioning first XI?

Seemed to be little rhyme or reason between our CBs and CMs all night tbh.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why Poch felt he needed three CB's and one less attacking player on the pitch tonight?

We lack intelligence as it is, but Moura, who expends a lot of energy creating fuck all for anyone else, an Alli short on games and form, who can bumble with the best of them at the best of times, and a 17yo Parrott making his first proper start was always likely to leave us wanting a bit in an attacking sense. Then you have Wanyama and 19yo Skipp behind them, One on the way up and one on the way down.

None of the youngsters played tonight were bad. Skipp did what I'd expect a player like him to do, he's not fucking Pogba, but he never hid, gone on the ball, got forward at times and set up Alli for a great chance. KWP showed a desire to constantly get forward and attack, Tanganga looked very smooth, and Parrott worked hard, pressed and tried to get involved.

Dier didn't have a lot to do defensively, but I think he's an almost perfect understudy for Alderweireld, they are very similar types, both robust, controlled aggressive, OK technically, both decent readers at the back with the game in front of them, reasonably comfortable bringing the ball out a little way, but not marauding like Vertonghen, both can ping a long un.

We did not set the world alight tonight. But we had a complete reserve side and a couple of kids making debuts or second appearances. We've had 74% possession and not allowed the opposition a single shot on target.

That wasn't a humiliating defeat. We've utterly dominated, as we should, even with a reserve side, and just failed to create quality chances - something the first team struggle with as well - but also prevented them from having a single shot on target in 94 minutes, which is no mean feat despite the level of opposition (who had already put out another PL side).

One of them games that frequently happens in this type of cup game. We've played a fuck of a lot worse in cup games in the last couple of years and skanked through.

I don't really understand why Poch felt he needed three CB's and one less attacking player on the pitch tonight?

We lack intelligence as it is, but Moura, who expends a lot of energy creating fuck all for anyone else, an Alli short on games and form, who can bumble with the best of them at the best of times, and a 17yo Parrott making his first proper start was always likely to leave us wanting a bit in an attacking sense. Then you have Wanyama and 19yo Skipp behind them, One on the way up and one on the way down.

None of the youngsters played tonight were bad. Skipp did what I'd expect a player like him to do, he's not fucking Pogba, but he never hid, gone on the ball, got forward at times and set up Alli for a great chance. KWP showed a desire to constantly get forward and attack, Tanganga looked very smooth, and Parrott worked hard, pressed and tried to get involved.

Dier didn't have a lot to do defensively, but I think he's an almost perfect understudy for Alderweireld, they are very similar types, both robust, controlled aggressive, OK technically, both decent readers at the back with the game in front of them, reasonably comfortable bringing the ball out a little way, but not marauding like Vertonghen, both can ping a long un.

We did not set the world alight tonight. But we had a complete reserve side and a couple of kids making debuts or second appearances. We've had 74% possession and not allowed the opposition a single shot on target.

That wasn't a humiliating defeat. We've utterly dominated, as we should, even with a reserve side, and just failed to create quality chances - something the first team struggle with as well - but also prevented them from having a single shot on target in 94 minutes, which is no mean feat despite the level of opposition (who had already put out another PL side).

One of them games that frequently happens in this type of cup game. We've played a fuck of a lot worse in cup games in the last couple of years and skanked through.

Dier is a CB...been a disservice to his growth by playing him centrally. Could be two to three years further in his development and could be our starting right back in front of a player that doesn’t want to be here.

KWP is getting way too much hate. He was the start of many good moves and wasn’t afraid to get at the byline. I think some people want to see him be a Sancho out there. Doing step overs and flicks. He got by his man by manipulating their attempts to get the ball back. His close control allowed him to make his moves.

Could tell from the start of the second half that it wasn’t going to happen though. Why play 5 defensive minded players ( Dier, Sanchez, Wanyama, Tangana, Skipp) against a team like Colchester? Should have been one more midfielder or attacker out there.

Thought Dele had his best game in awhile. Was quick with the ball at his feet and made some nice slips for players like Parrot.

Last edited:
Dier is a CB...been a disservice to his growth by playing him centrally. Could be two to three years further in his development and could be our starting right back in front of a player that doesn’t want to be here.

KWP is getting way too much hate. He was the start of many good moves and wasn’t afraid to get at the byline. I think some people want to see him be a Sanchez out there. Doing step overs and flicks. He got by his man by manipulating their attempts to get the ball back. His close control allowed him to make his moves.

Could tell from the start of the second half that it wasn’t going to happen though. Why play 5 defensive minded players ( Dier, Sanchez, Wanyama, Tangana, Skipp) against a team like Colchester? Should have been one more midfielder or attacker out there.

Thought Dele had his best game in awhile. Was quick with the ball at his feet and made some nice slips for players like Parrot.
The 5 at the back with 2 (well one and a half defensive midfielder, I was convinced Vic was a slow motion replay everytime I saw him) with three attackers was a formation I'd expect against Barca or Man City.

We played that against Colchester. Plus, poor Ollie had to play centre midfield alongside the broken man! That's not his fault.

Personally I think it's a fucking scandal that we haven;'t seen more of him the last two seasons.

I didn't want to clog up the Ndombele thread but I simply don't get it. In a team that has players in and out of form weekly (mostly out) and almost zero cover for the defence, that Skipp isn't playing seems criminal. He isn't the flashiest player but so far has proven himself to be rock solid and hardly makes any mistakes. We don't need a flashy DM.

Unless Dier suddenly finds his form again then Skipp really needs to come in for Sissoko. I just don't know who's leg Skipp has to hump to get a match.

If he is still being punished for the Colchester debacle then Poch needs to grow up and stop playing favourites. Skipp did his job that night too as did Tanganga.

Poor kid is wasting his time at Spurs if this keeps up. What a waste of an academy.

Why are people comparing Winks and Skipp?

One is a DM, one is a CM.

We don't compare Busquets to Xavi.

They are both exciting players. I just hope Poch doesn't squander his talent.

I didn't want to clog up the Ndombele thread but I simply don't get it. In a team that has players in and out of form weekly (mostly out) and almost zero cover for the defence, that Skipp isn't playing seems criminal. He isn't the flashiest player but so far has proven himself to be rock solid and hardly makes any mistakes. We don't need a flashy DM.

Unless Dier suddenly finds his form again then Skipp really needs to come in for Sissoko. I just don't know who's leg Skipp has to hump to get a match.

If he is still being punished for the Colchester debacle then Poch needs to grow up and stop playing favourites. Skipp did his job that night too as did Tanganga.

Poor kid is wasting his time at Spurs if this keeps up. What a waste of an academy.

Completely agree.

At 19, this kid has a bright future. He has put in good performances against some of the best teams in Europe and has shown maturity on the pitch that is beyond his experience.

Whilst we are chasing the top 4 spot; I understand why Poch would pick the more experienced players. I am sure he will be in our FA Cup squad and hopefully we will progress in the comp so he can get some good game time under his belt.

Poch's dislike of loaning out players could be hurting their development. Townsend, Kane, Rose all broke into the first team after having decent loan periods at other Premier League clubs. Pritchard did excellent at Brentford; but it seems the championship was his level, and our coaches spotted that.

At 19, he now has to fight for his place in the team. DM is of course a position that requires experience and maturity; and it could take 3 or 4 years to nail down a starting spot.

If Dier remains fit and we are out of the FA cup and ECL by Jan; I would say a loan to another prem club that can guarantee a starting spot would be of benefit.

I'd say that the season is already a write off so we don't really have much else to lose. What we have been doing for the last 10 months sure isn't working.

I agree that a loan would be good though. Anything other than rotting on the bench.

I'd say that the season is already a write off so we don't really have much else to lose. What we have been doing for the last 10 months sure isn't working.

I agree that a loan would be good though. Anything other than rotting on the bench.

Season over already? A write off?

- Were still in the champions league. A lot of the big boys don't aren't at their best .
- 5 points outside of top 4.
- 7 points away from 2nd.
- 29 games and 87 points to play for.
- Woolwich and United playing crap.
- Leicester dependant on a 33 year old striker staying fit.
- Chelsea have a small squad with a lot of kids who haven't played a full season. Will they will run out of steam by new year?
- FA Cup still to play for.

Back
Top Bottom