You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Registration only takes a minute and removes most of the adverts - Sign up here

Player Oliver Skipp

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by NW1Spur, 29 Jul 2018.

1. Cripps14

I think a games such as yesterday's is perfect for him to start - otherwise we end up in the same situation as with KWP, where you end up having to start him against Barcelona, without him having collected minutes in many matches previously.

In the end we got the win and Skipp got another 70 mins of Premier League football and probably learnt a few things along the way.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. Notabadsquad

So I say my piece on most things before the event.

Simple reasoning is that I cannot then be accused of saying it in hindsight. I stand by my comments as all you are saying is the ends justified the means. It did.

We won but Skipp wasn't that good through no fault of his own and not a game he would have been picked in by any of other top 6.

• Like x 1
  3. Totti

None of the top 6 would have picked him full stop. They haven't started any 18 year olds in the league all season, even when they have potentially more promising players (CHO, Foden, Ampadu).

Infact we've started more 18 year olds this season in the league than any of the top 6 have in the last 2 years.

That's the beauty of Pochettino.

• Like x 2
  4. 57 varieties

Trouble is anyone who watches the u/18. U/23s, on a regular basis will tell we have better than skipp?.. Jack roles for instance

5. Totti

Different positions for a start.

And actually most youth watchers would say Skipp has alot more potential.

Roles is 20 in 2 weeks time. Doesn't train with the first team. Has never been in contention for the first team yet Skipp is.

Not to say its over for Roles. If he doesn't go with the first team for pre-season it probably is though.

6. 57 varieties

I wouldn't say different positions more like roles is far more attacking minded.

7. Totti

Then they are incomparable.

Hopefully Roles can be rewarded for his excellent season so far.

8. Cripps14

But do you not think, that home matches against midtable clubs, with nothing to play for is a good place to blood the youngsters? Of course a couple of cup matches against lower league opposition would be perfect before that.

I thought Skipp was solid enough, but of course there's room for improvement.

• Agree x 1
  9. Steve73

If big Vic can stay fit and get a proper pre season under his belt there's no reason he can't be the beast he was before...just needs to be over that injury...

10. Notabadsquad

No I don't.

The truth was Leicester were better than us in their general midfield play. More cohesive, creative and but for Lloris being solid and some wasteful finishing we would have been undone.

Skipp looks good but there is a difference between his current level and the more accomplished midfielders, let alone those of top quality.

In most other seasons and I hope moving forward, that Skipp and others of his age and talent are sent out on loan to play more regularly and where they can learn their trade.

There is a reason none of the other top 6 would play him and it's not just because Pochettino is the more likely.

11. Totti

This is a player who played u18s football at the age of 15 and played u23 level at 17 and now playing first team football against international footballers at the age of 18. Can we.not see how incredible that is?

A Spurs kid. Who's been at the club since he was 5 years old. Supporter of this very club and people write him off. It's incredible.

One of our own. Potentially one of our best. Personally can't wait to see more of him.

• Like x 3
Draft saved Draft deleted
If you see people ruining threads with off-topic discussion, arguing or personal abuse, use the 'Foul' link at the bottom of their post to vote for them to be sent off. More info