Now is not the time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When you’re on the side of a mountain you’re looking at the pinnacle not the ridiculous distance you’ve already travelled.

Preach brother

When you’re on the side of a mountain you’re looking at the pinnacle not the ridiculous distance you’ve already travelled.

Preach brother

I try, I should also say that this was written before our day off signings and I was getting annoyed with the posters despair at not having made a transfer in June. Instead of replying and getting angrier I thought I'd put it all down.

I try, I should also say that this was written before our day off signings and I was getting annoyed with the posters despair at not having made a transfer in June. Instead of replying and getting angrier I thought I'd put it all down.
Steve P???
Not that Steve P are you?
If so, you may start to get saucy PMs of another poster on here...

Lovin' your work, 78Spur !

"Millions of people go and watch their football team every week. Most won’t see all their ambitions fulfilled but in the fullness of time most will get their moment in the sun.

It’s a never ending ride but it’s only really worth experiencing it if you enjoy it."

There is a narrative that irritates me. It goes something like ‘signing someone NOW is more important than ever, this moment right now and everything will collapse if we don’t’.

Read article

It's a good, balanced read but ibetwixt the margins so are 99.5% of fans.

The writer forgets those fans who only arrived at the top 4 party. Why should they look back? Indeed how can they?

People are 100% entitled to their opinions but I think too much is inferred by the posts people make.

The writer forgets those fans who only arrived at the top 4 party. Why should they look back? Indeed how can they?

People are 100% entitled to their opinions but I think too much is inferred by the posts people make.

Meh....

Was I around in the 60's? No...

Am I proud of our history? Fuck yes.

"It’s a never ending ride but it’s only really worth experiencing it if you enjoy it."

Totally missed the point of the article...... Why am I not suprised.

Well, the writer was me!

And I haven't forgotten those who are new to the experience, if you have only been watching Spurs for 5 or 6 years, I envy you, you have decades ahead of you watching Spurs and it will be fantastic, you will see us do great things and see us fail too, that's the nature of supporting any club and perhaps why any given moment in a club's history can be taken out of context.

I am honestly not trying to patronise you or anyone saying how they should think about Spurs but in a few years time, have a read again and see if it chimes with you, you might be surprised.

Well, the writer was me!

And I haven't forgotten those who are new to the experience, if you have only been watching Spurs for 5 or 6 years, I envy you, you have decades ahead of you watching Spurs and it will be fantastic, you will see us do great things and see us fail too, that's the nature of supporting any club and perhaps why any given moment in a club's history can be taken out of context.

I am honestly not trying to patronise you or anyone saying how they should think about Spurs but in a few years time, have a read again and see if it chimes with you, you might be surprised.

Great read mate!

Well, the writer was me!

My point stands and I started with a good, balanced read did I not?

Meh....

Was I around in the 60's? No...

Am I proud of our history? Fuck yes.

"It’s a never ending ride but it’s only really worth experiencing it if you enjoy it."

Totally missed the point of the article...... Why am I not suprised.

Had I missed the point of the article I could not have written what I did.

That’s all well and good but the glaring elephant in the room is that little thing called ‘silverware’.

The suggestion that we should look at how far we have come when the club has gone through its first decade without silverware since the 30s is somewhat of hallow one. More so given that the club has had two of its best sides in that time.

The spend narrative has always been a misguided one - the club even its its current position doesn’t have the capacity to compete in this arena. We haven’t needed too - we have built one of the best squads in Europe in recent years operating a low spend.

The issue doesn’t rest with the players - the talent is clearly there, a large part lies with the management and clearly my position on our manager is quite apparent . Whilst the majority believe we have a Ivan Lendl to use a tennis analogy ( where despite his failures it is/was only a matter of time before he won a major) to me it’s quite apparent with have a Tim Heman ( a very good player but one not good enough to win major honours). The real interest here is why this is a topic of discussion that 99% of the supporter base absolutely refuse to have.

But let’s put that aside because there is other issues at play. The mentality of the supporter base is also to blame. This endless referencing of failed eras is hugely damaging - I don’t care if you remember the 90s - what relevance does those teams have to this one? We shouldn’t be setting expectations around failed teams and failed eras - it should be based on what we have now relative to our peers.

That’s why this laissez faire approach from so may of our supporters is so infuriating. The notion that we don’t have to believe that this is the time now is quite frankly absurd. The club has built a team that typically comes around once in a generation - it’s gone nearly 30 years since its last FA Cup win, nearly 40 since a UEFA cup win. It has to capitalise on that and it hasn’t - that can’t be disputed.

Tottenham’s history and tradition is rooted in silverware and success - it’s most successful manager openly stated that finishing without silverware represented a bad season and that second best wasn’t good enough. Why on earth so many of our supporters have chosen to ignore our history and traditions at time when we have team capable of wining major honours I simply do not know. It really is an unhealthy situation for the club when it has a supporter base so unwillingly to place any sort of expectations of such a talented side.

Last edited:
That’s all well and good but the glaring elephant in the room is that little thing called ‘silverware’.

The suggestion of hat we should look at how far we have come when the club has gone through its first decade without silverware since the 30s is somewhat of hallow one. More so given that the club has had two of its best sides in that time.

The spend narrative has always been a misguided one - the club even its its current position doesn’t have the capacity to compete in this arena. We haven’t needed too - we have built one of the best squads in Europe in recent years operating a low spend.

The issue doesn’t rest with the players - the talent is clearly there, a large part lies with the management and clearly my position on our manager is quite apparent . Whilst the majority believe we have a Ivan Lendl to use a tennis analogy ( where despite his failures it is/was only a matter of time before he won a major) to me it’s quite apparent with have a Tim Heman ( a very good player but one not good enough to win major honours). The real interest is why this is a topic of discussion that 99% of the supporter base absolutely refuse to have.

But let’s put that aside because there is other issues at play. The mentality of the supporter base is also to blame. This endless referencing of failed eras is hugely damaging - I don’t care if you remember the 90s - what relevance does those teams have to this one? We shouldn’t be setting expectations around failed teams and failed eras - it should be based on what we have now relative to our peers.

That’s why this laissez faire approach from so may of our supporters is so infuriating. The notion that we don’t have to believe that this is the time now is quite frankly absurd. The club has built a team that typically comes around once in a generation - it’s gone nearly 30 years since its last FA Cup win, nearly 40 since a UEFA cup win.

Tottenham’s history and tradition is rooted in silverware and success - it’s most successful manager openly stated that finishing without silverware represented a bad season and that second best wasn’t good enough. Why on earth so many of our supporters have chosen to ignore our history and traditions at time when we have team capable of wining major honours I simply do no know.

Brilliant post but there is space on the same page for both this and the good and measured article.

And for sure we should have won a trophy in the last 5 years.

Not too much to ask for with the talent so that BIG QUESTION remains. On that I am with you 100%.

That’s why this laissez faire approach from so may of our supporters is so infuriating. The notion that we don’t have to believe that this is the time now is quite frankly absurd. The club has built a team that typically comes around once in a generation - it’s gone nearly 30 years since its last FA Cup win, nearly 40 since a UEFA cup win. It has to capitalise on that and it hasn’t - that can’t be disputed.

And there I completely differ.

You miss the point here we will have periods of failure, no club has had 30 years of constant shining success, not one. Our club has been great and it's been a failure over a log period of time, every team is the same. Try talking someone who has witnessed us being relegated, funnily enough they will also recount the promotion season as being quite special.

Consider this, you're a City fan, the day they returned to the Prem from 1st division, is still probably their most prized memory. One of my most prized was the Crouch goal against City when we got our first run at the Premier League, are these moments meant to mean nothing just because they don't equate to a trophy of note?

The difference is that even now you can't acknowledge success, you can't see that the direction of travel is right. You hyper focus on silverware, you believe we should all be angry at not having silverware, I find it a bit joyless.

The real problem with your outlook is I can't see how you can be happy and support Spurs with that way of thinking, I'd be driven mad if I agreed with your line of thought because, really, nothing the club could do would ever really be enough and even if you were angry and upset about the lack of silverware, the truth is that you have no real effect on what decisions the club makes.

The time isn't now, it doesn't have to be because we're all going to be watching Spurs for a very long time, make of it what you will, I hope it's not as unhappy for you as you make it sound.

Back
Top Bottom