Norwich away - 1730KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hasn’t he just scored 4 in 8 or so? Can we then forgive the downsides?

As is often the case in football, it's not black and white is it. Do we ignore the continual endless bumbles and wasted possession where he tries a flick or trick when he could just do something more intelligent and productive for the team? Do we ignore the months of nothingness that have accompanied the purple patches. Do we want to have to play with 2 inadequate cm's all the time, to accommodate a guy in his best position, when he isn't even the best we have at the club in that position always ?

At his best he's an enigma, but overall, over the course of his time with us, he's probably had one great game every ten, where he's not only produced something tangible but he's also played well for the team. Five out of ten are pretty shit, and the rest are a mixed bag of good/bad and in between.

I don't hate him, I just think he doesn't fit how I would like us to play personally, and he's not consistently good enough to warrant sacrificing the collective for a lot of weeks.

If we are going to play a 4231 every week, and we improve our CM2 options, and he's going to work harder and fuck about less, then great. Is all that going to happen ?

I'm afraid we are going to have to face the fact that we will be without a DM or RB until next season. Watching all the newspapers, gossip columns and all other information I can glean, we'll be doing the usual in January. Watching other teams pick off the potential talent whilst Levy puts a new set of moth balls in his wallet.

If Levy wants top 4 he's gonna have to get the duster out, he spent big in the summer needs to spend more simple as we can't have Dier as our only recognised CDM and Aurier as the only RB even he knows this

"Worker"..... You know the futile discussion I'm trying to avoid having with you. : o/

And much to my credit, I was happy to indulge your efforts and maintained the nom de plume "worker" for the purposes of this discussion.

We're generally in agreement as you say, but my original point was fair one.... Merely putting TN & GLC in the mix may be part of the answer but, that alone, is the solution to nothing.

I think part is better than no answer, which is where we have been for the last few months. And I definitely think, second half at least, we saw a solution to some of our previous long standing problems, in that we could actually play football through our midfield for a change.

Naive from Jose imo.... And surreal to see a manager with his reputation put out a team so lop-sidely balanced in terms of attacking personnel.

I think that lopsided balance of more creative personnel was compounded by a fucking weird and confusing change of shape and the addition of our flimsiest CB. When the latter two elements of that were addressed at half time, it got better.

But I agree, in most games in this league, that would be a vulnerable set up, and very odd to see Mourinho flip from favouring technically and creatively defunct but robust for an all out Ardiles hurrah.

3 points aside, like I say we could have learned something today.... Sadly we came away with neither.

Personally, I think we did. I think we learned that there is offensive, as well as defensive gain to be had by getting more "football" into the blend than has been tried previously (I repeat, that second half was our most frugal in terms of chances we have allowed under Mourinho or Poch this season - and the x/g in that game was the lowest all season).I think we also learned that Sanchez is definitely more viable than Foyth and possibly more important now than TA and JV ? Arguable ?

Whether Mourinho learned anything is anyone's guess.

Resting Dav rather than Jan was silly too.

Agreed

Can't keep making excuses week in and out of our mickey mouse defence. Levy has to put the money up in January and no we don't need a f *cking world class defender. We need a Scott Parker like signing. I dnt give a sh*t if he did 360 turns he could defend and hold midfield. We need to cut our losses now with rose, Eriksen and serge.
I believe that Auriers greatest service to the team would be if Jose pulled out a Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum and shot him on the pitch as a lesson and warning to the squad about what would happen if they didn't get their shit together.

Contrasting with Blakeys desire to see the entire squad massacred with an M134 Minigun - with the exception of Eriksen and Skipp

Lol..... It really isn't complicated...... Look at the line I quoted.... It's made up bollocks on your part.
Just so I understand, you are saying our scouting system is good?

Or

Because you listed a load of players in the 20 to 60 million bracket my theory of buying 10 reasonably priced players and hoping 1 or 2 work out is wrong?

10 reasonably priced players and hoping 1 or 2 work out

Let's break your comment down shall we... :roll:

"10 players" = Random number plucked from.your behind. 10 over how long???? ....Meaningless.

"Reasonable price": implying cheap punts; hense I listed a large amount of our signings from recent years.... Add Toby, Llorente, Wanyama and a few others that don't fit your 'profile' either cos, newsflash, pricetag needn't mean shit.

"Hope 1 or 2 work out": pretty sure (particularly the list I made) the intention is for them all to work out. :roll:

The fact that in your average window we try and pick up a player or two that might prove a bargain if we can develope them. (Trippier, Foyth, Clarke) is no stick to beat us with....

(In case you weren't reading; I already said I think our scouting (and/or last managers buying) is dubious.)

Back
Top Bottom