Northern Ireland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Loads of stories like that. Mate of my dad's took us all water skiing on Loch Neagh one day. A week or two later was killed by the IRA. He was a Protestant dj-ing at a Catholic pub and they killed him

Fucking pointless and mindless.
I think it’s a bit like the situation in Yugoslavia back in the 90s, they all rubbed along together quite nicely for the most part after WW2, then when the country started to break up you had concentration camps, ethnic cleansing, mass murder and things that defied belief when you saw the news reports.
In a country that was a very popular holiday destination for a lot of Western European’s before that when visitors commented on the great hospitality and warmth of the locals.
Sorry bit off topic I know, but just making a comparison.
There is also the apocryphal tale of the whole Croatia-Serbia war kicking off at after a riot at a Dinamo Zagreb-Red Star game.

Last edited:
Comparative to population size, Northern Ireland have punched well above their weight and produced arguably the most gifted player in his generation/ever(?) in the British Isles.

We are currently ranked 8th in the world per capita (LINK) and a significant part of the population's politics might see them choose to play for the Republic of Ireland if deemed talented enough, although that is starting to change and lower league professionals who would have no chance of playing international football otherwise are choosing to declare if their background allows. Maik Taylor was one of the first to do this and one of the absolute best, fantastic keeper (I miss him so), Matty Kennedy of St. Johnstone the most recent.

Having worked in international football and been heavily involved in youth football in Northern Ireland, there is a pool of exciting talent coming through coming from a football association led development initiative started years ago with smaller sided games and more technical emphasis, along with a kind of Clairefontaine set up (Club NI).

Funnily enough, there are big rumours that we're currently fighting with Chelsea over a player I've seen an awful lot of in Charlie Allen (15) of Linfield. He played in the same team as a relative coming up (playing a year up I think) and I've watched him multiple times.

Rangers got a couple of absolute belters from that team.

Have hopes for Ethan Galbraith (Manchester United), Gavin Whyte (Cardiff) and Jordan Thompson (Blackpool) plus the current squad has players like Lewis (Norwich...I think he's overrated FWIW), McNair (Middlesbrorough...Premier League quality IMHO), Johnny Evans (Leicester), Cathcart (Watford gave him 4 years in the Summer there).

Currently fucking dying for a natural goalscorer/a nuisance in the air of better quality than Josh Magennis IMO.
Wow, I have just realised I think I know you mate?! Did I perhaps play with you in a charity tournament many years ago for a certain 'club' team!?

My dads from the South, Mum the north and they met in North London in 1964. Proceeded to get married and have my brother and I then moved us home to NI in 81-my grandad just happened to be a spurs fan from the early 50's too so thats where I get it but I know a handful of NI spurs fans.
Good few down south too, I noticed on flights to Barcelona last season and other away games from Dublin there was a load of Irish spurs travelling-great to see;)

Nothing worse than a Northern Irish rangers or/and sevco fan.
Listen you ya filthy sheepshagger.....
And yes, I know what you're about to say, it's not rape if they push back

But in all seriousness, I think there has been a huge decline in the number of both Celtic and Rangers fans in Northern Ireland. When I did travel over to Rangers games, one club could take 6 or 7 coaches. Then the North Antrim Federation took over and clubs like Seven Towers who took the 7 coaches basically got bypassed.

Still, now in my more mature days where the Troubles are a distant memory and we all get along so much better, I really have no time for the Scottish game and the dross there within and certainly no time for the whole Rangers v Celtic hatred.

I also still consider Aberdoom a dirty midden and backward hovel and see that my mate that lives there spends an increasing amount of time in Glasgow!

Last edited:
Random add here; but years ago as a temp out of college I was doing some boring audit admin stuff at the massive Abbey National HQ in Milton Keynes. Got put in a team with a load of auditors from one of the big 4, one of whom used to play football a bit, nothing too special - he had a few stories about Gazza and Waddle though, really nice chap, went out to Wagamamas one night when it was a new thing. Thought very little of it until he turned up managing Northern Ireland years later!!

There are arseholes in every support and if you've been unlucky to be brought up in an insular area with not much educational attainment and high levels of poverty in what basically amounted to a warzone, it might shape your support a certain way...some of you seem intelligent enough to comprehend the complexities of such tribal support in Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Only mentioned Rangers as they've signed some fantastic prospects IMO, the kid we're fighting with Chelsea over has played multiple times for Rangers academy, the players that have signed for Rangers were Lewis MacKinnon, Chris McKee and Ross McCausland (all 3 Year Pro contracts), the very talented Charlie Lindsay from Glentoran (15) has also agreed to go there next Summer.

Talking of Northern Ireland. Tomorrow on eurosport(i think) and fellow spurs fan is on the PDO Darts as he qualified for the last 32.
He is out of portadown way,but plays for a club in east Belfast.
A good lad he is too

This fucken thread. Not sure it should be in the Tottenham section. Admin Admin can this be moved to off topic? Less chance of the general forum population stumbling upon the natter of extremists

This fucken thread. Not sure it should be in the Tottenham section. Admin Admin can this be moved to off topic? Less chance of the general forum population stumbling upon the natter of extremists

You English aren't ya? You want us out of the Union and now want us off the fucking forum? Little Englander. If your not English I do apologise.

Back
Top Bottom