NLD – Protecting & Using the Width is Key

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
The North London derby certainly promises goals, cards, and unbearable nerves. This isn’t anything new to us fans. However Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Nacer Chadli, Roberto Soldado and should they make the match day squad Vlad Chiriches, Eric Lamela, and Christen Eriksen will all learn the importance of this great rivalry on Sunday. Despite our great purchases this transfer window Woolwich are always a tough nut to crack, especially at the Emirates. Over the past two seasons we’ve suffered two 5-2 […]

Continue reading...

I wish I could analyse and write as well as you. I also find it hard to argue with anything you say, apart from the fact I believe we play a 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-3-3, but what the heck. Ultimately I would take a draw right now, and wish this game came a month later.

I think you're probably right about the team that we'll put out. The problem though, as you have identified, is that it means to get goals the wingers become so important. I worry that will limit us too much though. Like you, I wonder if playing Holtby might be the answer, but of course the downside to that is that to add his strengths, you lose Dembele's strength (which is maintaining possession). Maybe AVB will find a way to play them both and get the best of both worlds.

I think you're probably right about the team that we'll put out. The problem though, as you have identified, is that it means to get goals the wingers become so important. I worry that will limit us too much though. Like you, I wonder if playing Holtby might be the answer, but of course the downside to that is that to add his strengths, you lose Dembele's strength (which is maintaining possession). Maybe AVB will find a way to play them both and get the best of both worlds.
One of Holtby's absolute strengths is maintaining possession for his team, but unlike Dembele he will do it by playing the ball around and making defenders work even harder...

Back
Top Bottom