Newcastle (h) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Us v Bus - Episode 437

Selection wise, this was a real curates egg from Pochettino. At first I thought it was a 3412 with Son as LWB, but it gradually unfolded as a 4231 ( The Multi The Multi ) with Vertonghen as LWB. I know he put in a couple of decent crosses first half, but it's hard to understand the thinking on this one, seeing as how he's not going to run behind a defence very often and we weren't playing Llorente, to aim crosses at. I could understand the logic if Poch just wanted to improve service to Llorente, but whacking balls into Moura? Strange - And that's the other thing - Moura as a false 9 ? Really Poch? What is this fascination with playing Moura through the centre? He doesn't have the composure and hold up play for this. He's only really viable as a wide forward/AM, where he can stretch those whizzy little legs.

Luckily, Poch does encourage fluidity, and Moura, Son and Lamela did switch around.

It was good to see Winks retain his place at the expense of Dier, he's so much more dynamic in transition, can take the ball on the half turn and look up and zip the ball about. He's not perfect, but it sure as shit beats watching Dier doing his impression of circa 2013 Phil Jones doing his (bad) impression of Marcel Desailly. Now if we can just replace Sissoko with a footballer, we'll be on the way to having a real midfield soon.

This game, as the title suggests, was one of the 70% or so that we play per season that follow this pattern. We attack against the bus park. I don't mind them any more, accept them as the price for being a top team. Our problem is we aren't quite City, and it invariably takes us a little longer to crack them open. Especially when we are missing a couple of our more vital creative components.

Son, Lamela and Moura are all lively fuckers, but they all can be a bit bumbly, they all can have that appearance of never quite having the ball under complete control, and they can all, at times, want to take at least 3 touches too many.

That said, I thought Lamela was actually much more composed today, and had a very decent game, and in terms if overall contribution was the best of the attacking group first half.

Eriksen first half had one of his occasional mares, he was seeing plenty of the ball, was trying, but nothing he tried worked, or that's to say whenever he tried to spark something it didn't, but second half his strings were tuned and he was outstanding - playing a couple of wonderful passes to put Tripper and Llorente in behind - ending up with 6 key passes.

Winks was the hub of everything, playing that kind of holder/pass controller role, which is a new one to any of the Poch Spurs sides, playing a massive 50 forward passes (Eriksen 25, Sissoko 19), and did a good job of keeping us moving.

All circumstances considered, players available, players selected, opposition tactical bus park etc etc we played pretty well, did move them about, did get into good areas, and did create some very decent chances, that if we'd been more clinical about might have changed the dynamics of the game somewhat, but our coached ethos and good habits got us over the line in the end.

I think the Moura/Llorente sub made perfect sense, we needed a fulcrum, we still had crossing intentions and they needed someone to rush up their CB's, but the Rose for Lamela sub just seemed really odd and counter intuitive to me. Why not just take off one of the three CB's on the pitch?

It was the Llorente sub that did the trick in the end though, good fulcrum play, cushioning one of Alderweireld's many nice long passes into the path of Son who threw three defenders off with a shimmy and hit a really sweet shot that dipped wickedly just as it reached their keeper.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the hard earned late winner.

Individual

Lloris - Decent game, one great looking save.

Trippier - very involved, worked hard, didn't really contribute much of quality in forward areas though.

Sanchez - Decent game against a combative opponent in Rondon.

Alderweireld - very good game, pretty much an auxiliary midfielder second half.

Vertonghen - Slung in some lovely crosses first half, decent game overall, just don't think he's best deployed as a LB in a back 4 set up really, he's not exactly going to enjoy bombing back to cover the counters.

Sissoko - Everyone knows what I think of him, he's a very limited footballer doing basic things. No catastrophe today, nothing stupendous either. meh.

Winks - very good in that Holder/controller role. Good game.

Eriksen - Struggled first half to impose himself on the game, but was much more influential second half.

Lamela - the most influential and composed of our attacking players first half, was unlucky to get subbed IMO. Good game overall.

Son - What can you say, worked really hard, was very involved, but his choices weren't always smart ones, shooting at bodies occasionally, taking a touch too many occasionally, but the boy comes up with the goods again, great shimmy and shot. His energy is infectious.

Moura - Please Poch, no more Moura as false 9, or down the centre in any capacity, 12 passes all game, was poor today and wasted a great chance too.

Llorente - He's never going to be a goal machine, or give us the uberness of Kane, but once again he's ended up playing a part in a victory, and this bit part role is probably better for us and him too. He's not got 90 in him really, not the way we play.

Last edited:
Winks MOTM for me.

Absolute master in control today, when we needed it. Looking fitter and stronger by the game and he deserves the upcoming rest.

We get this, or something similar, every week then he will be a mainstay in our starting eleven for years to come. Just need to get the right personnel next to him in the summer.

Winks is growing, I think we've a real player, always wants the ball (and isn't always pointing to others to have it like one of his midfield teammates), is tenacious, moves it quickly and is still learning...give it a couple of seasons and he'll be one of the first on the team sheet.

I gave it to Son for his total effort, running at the defence and, of course, the goal.

I could of easily given it to Winks though, another very good game from him.

Davinson was very solid, especially as some people were afraid he would get beat up, but although he did have a very good game we didn't really come under enough pressure for me to give it to him.

Sonny gets my vote purely for being the juggernaut that he's been for us when we've needing him most.

Winks growing into a proper player, Jan showing what a real footballer should be able to do with his versatility, Toby an unsung warrior but Sonny just makes me feel all warm inside in these winter months.

Sonny quickly turning into a darling of the lane. Long may that continue

Winks MoM - Starting to remind me of Modric (not at that level yet) but just the way everything is going through him 111 passes with as many forward as backward.

Take Blakey's point on Vert's odd position, but that said he did see a huge amount of the ball with 102 touches ... telling that he didn't make one KP but he certainly did a job keeping their right side pinned back

Obviously going to disagree with Blakey about Sissoko, his more aggressive play creates the time for Winks and Eriksen, sure his footwork ain't world class but despite that he was never tackled or dispossessed, he's one strong m'fucker

Without looking fantastic Eriksen still managed 6 KP's two of which probably should have led to goals

Sanchez was again excellent against a physical striker, feck the lad's only 22 how good will he be in another five years?

In a game we absolutely dominated pretty much every player did their job ... will Kane and Dele get back in the starting eleven? (yup)

Winks MoM - Starting to remind me of Modric (not at that level yet) but just the way everything is going through him 111 passes with as many forward as backward.

Take Blakey's point on Vert's odd position, but that said he did see a huge amount of the ball with 102 touches ... telling that he didn't make one KP but he certainly did a job keeping their right side pinned back

Obviously going to disagree with Blakey about Sissoko, his more aggressive play creates the time for Winks and Eriksen, sure his footwork ain't world class but despite that he was never tackled or dispossessed, he's one strong m'fucker

Without looking fantastic Eriksen still managed 6 KP's two of which probably should have led to goals

Sanchez was again excellent against a physical striker, feck the lad's only 22 how good will he be in another five years?

In a game we absolutely dominated pretty much every player did their job ... will Kane and Dele get back in the starting eleven? (yup)

I don't want to get into another Sissoko "thing" but just to make my case, Sissoko brings absolutely nothing offensively and I don't even think think he's great defensively. Winks for example, as well as controlling the midfield and making 50 forward passes, 44 passes in the attacking third, also made 14 ball recoveries, 1 tackle/5,

Sissoko 19 forward passes, 27 in the attacking third, 1 Ball recovery, 0 Tackles/1, 0 interceptions.

Even Eriksen made 8 ball recoveries and 4 tackles.

As I said he did basic stuff OK, but we could have Skipp in there being a tenacious busy cunt, winning the ball and tracking runners etc, but also with a bit more ambition to get on the ball and make something happen too.

Winks was MOTM in my opinion. This lad is going to be special in the years to come.

I'd love to see him give and go a little more, get those runs continuing into the box. Genuinely adding the quality needed to hurt teams in some serious moments but he's a kid, he's growing and I'm delighted he's finding his feet. This season I think we've seen him go from a boy into a man. Add a few goals and assists to his name and he'll become a truly terrific footballer to have worn our shirt.

Been a top class professional this season with our midfield all over the place. He deserves massive credit for the maturity he has shown. Hopefully he can get a little selfish and add a few more strings to his bow so his progression can continue. Got a long way to go to fulfill what I think he can be but great steps this year. Well done Winksy

Last edited:
I don't want to get into another Sissoko "thing" but just to make my case, Sissoko brings absolutely nothing offensively and I don't even think think he's great defensively. Winks for example, as well as controlling the midfield and making 50 forward passes, 44 passes in the attacking third, also made 14 ball recoveries, 1 tackle/5,

Sissoko 19 forward passes, 27 in the attacking third, 1 Ball recovery, 0 Tackles/1, 0 interceptions.

As I said he did basic stuff OK, but we could have Skipp in there being a tenacious busy cunt, winning the ball and tracking runners etc, but also with a bit more ambition to get on the ball and make something happen too.

Agree with all that.

And I'm not a big Sissoko fan, but he does bring strong powerful running. And whilst I'd prefer Skipp to get the experience to play regularly, its clear Poch is breaking him in gently. So atm I can see Sissoko or Doer being Winks main CM partner this season (unless Wanyama gets back to 15/16 form which I doubt), but hope we get a Sissoko upgrade in the summer

I'd love to see him give and go a little more, get those runs continuing into the box. Genuinely adding the quality needed to hurt teams in some serious moments but he's a kid, he's growing and I'm delighted he's finding his feet. This season I think we've seen him go from a boy into a man. Add a few goals and assists to his name and he'll become a truly terrific footballer to have worn our shirt.

Beenna top class professional this season with our midfield all over the place. He deserves massive credit for the maturity he has shown. Hopefully he can get a little selfish and add a few more strings to his bow so his progression can continue. Got a long way to go to fulfill what I think he can be but great steps this year. Well done Winksy

Only thing I'd disagree with is that he's got a long way to go.

I think he's a decent CM now and will develop more. Its only if he gets to Modric standards will be take a bit of time, but from now onwards he's already decent

Only thing I'd disagree with is that he's got a long way to go.

I think he's a decent CM now and will develop more. Its only if he gets to Modric standards will be take a bit of time, but from now onwards he's already decent

I definitely agree that he's a good central midfielder, definitely warrants his place in the starting XI right now but I feel he has a fair bit to go if he has the desire to be the best he can become. I don't want to see token gestures of him having a pop every now and then I'd like to see him believe he can add real attacking threat in the final third. Until he consistently keeps trying to knock those doors down I agree he will stay at a similar level with not much further to go.

If he wants to take his game onto serious levels though, that's where he has to sharpen up on his vision, finesse, sniper type movement but I don't know what his or the club's plans are for him and if that's where they seem him really kicking on.

All in all he's turning into a class player, one that's kind of gone under the radar with many from outside of the club through our academy. I am very excited to see what he becomes when he hits the 26/27 years

I get what you're saying, and let's not forget Sissoko is 30 at the start of next season and will have only two years left on his contract, China may well come calling ...

It seems likely that we will play with a front three Kane - Son - Eriksen/Dele

So if Winks is now the ball playing midfielder, then at the moment the obvious options for Sissoko are Dier, which is very negative against parked buses, Dele/Eriksen which may well happen when Dele's fit, or Amos/Skipp who have played just 118 minutes of EPL football

That's using Eriksen/Dele alongside Winks with Dele/Eriksen in the front three ... but doing that you have very limited physicality across the entire front five ...

There are also Lamela and Moura but they would seem unlikely CM's, and of course Wanyama if he ever gets fully fit

The issue with Dele/Lamela/Moura is whilst they may add to our attacking prowess they will diminish our defensive ones, Sissoko for all his ungainliness is bloody hard to get past or beat in the air, you can't truly say the same for any of the alternatives.

If you go with Dier or Wanyama then whilst strengthening our defence our attacking options become more limited, neither of these two will maraud forward creating gaps, nor are they any good out wide ...

If you go with Skipp or Amos that's one massive risk, two teenagers who would be playing alongside a 22 year old ... it might be the future but I don't think we're there yet.

The reason Sissoko has to make fewer tackles is that no fecker takes him on, and if they do try then they invariably lose ... Sissoko makes 1.6 tackles per game he wins 75% of them, he get's dribbled past just 0.5 times per game. By comparison Winks attempts two tackles a game and loses 50%, Eriksen 2.4 and again loses 50% both Winks and Eriksen are dribbled past twice as often as Sissoko ...

Sissoko's are not huge numbers, because as I just said who in their right mind takes on the beast?

FYI - We are looking hard at David Brooks, B'mouth wouldn't consider a move last month but we believe that an offer in the summer might get him. B'mouth paid 11.5m last summer and would like to get 50m if they sell, not sure we'd pay that. He plays in the Sissoko position at CRM but he's a far greater goal threat ...

Last edited:
the walls came tumbling down

They sat back , gave us possession and in one way their negativity made us look good as we were not under pressure when we had the ball.
Fully deserved .

Lloris , didn't put a foot wrong 6
Jan , surprised by FB role but was decent better than Ben Davis with his crossing 6.
Tripps , ok ish 5.
Toby , Sanchez both solid 6.
Sissoko , missing his crash banging runs but did his job 5.
Winks , lots of forward but safe passing. Good except for brainfart in last few mins 6.
Eriksen , second half had more influence but still in second gear 5
Lamela , better , always trying to make something happen 6.
Lucas , little impact missed a good chance and run into brick walls 3.
Son , never stopped, his spirit was outstanding , 7

Liorente , helped with the goal but really Son had everything to do , missed a couple , the team looked better with him 5.

Winks played well, gave MOTM to Sonny

Twice in a row insane leadership

The rest played their part

For example, I don't blame Lucas for being out of position and giving it a go

The link up play was decent throughout the game

I felt we made some wrong decisions, like first 30 minutes we could have brought on Llorente and ended it with the crosses we had

Then when we did bring on Llorente we changed shape and Vertonghen couldn't whip anything in. Eriksen and Trippier couldn't find him and the Rose sub was late.

Regardless I felt we deserved some luck after Wolves and United and the two cup losses

1-0 is a good result

the walls came tumbling down

They sat back , gave us possession and in one way their negativity made us look good as we were not under pressure when we had the ball.
Fully deserved .

Lloris , didn't put a foot wrong 6
Jan , surprised by FB role but was decent better than Ben Davis with his crossing 6.
Tripps , ok ish 5.
Toby , Sanchez both solid 6.
Sissoko , missing his crash banging runs but did his job 5.
Winks , lots of forward but safe passing. Good except for brainfart in last few mins 6.
Eriksen , second half had more influence but still in second gear 5
Lamela , better , always trying to make something happen 6.
Lucas , little impact missed a good chance and run into brick walls 3.
Son , never stopped, his spirit was outstanding , 7

Liorente , helped with the goal but really Son had everything to do , missed a couple , the team looked better with him 5.

I thought we won comfortably and were unlucky not to score more although we had a couple of hairy moments
Could easily have been 5-2

Lloris played well and made one outstanding save
Jan had a good game and put several stunning crosses in especially in first half
Tripps ok but not for me
Toby steady as usual
Sissoko immense with great presence and work rate
Winks a good game and a good partnership with Sissoko
Eriksen one of his worst games for us apart from a couple of passes
Has his head been turned?
Lamela played his part and worked hard
Lucas poor and looked totally lost
Poor heading technique shown up with a bad miss
Needs to work at his game and no excuse him being played out of position as Poch gave him a job to do and he failed badly
Son a delight and took his goal well
Never stopped trying even when things weren’t going well
Llorente looked awful and never really got into the pace of the game
Clearly past his best but does offer something different and gave a good lay off for our goal
Would prefer Jansen if he gets fit

Back
Top Bottom