New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem of away fans in home areas is not helped by the fact that we appear to have thousands of ST holders who rarely attend a game.My wife and I are ST holders in the South Stand block 256 and whilst there is a hard core of 20/30 regulars around us the vast majority of fans attending seem to change on a game to game basis (including a couple of very aggressive Serbs at the Red Star game)
I recall during the initial ST selection process that all the seats in the future safe standing areas were snapped up very quickly, my question is who on earth bought them -especially if they did so with the intention of hardly ever attending?The net effect of this has been the inevitable problems with random away fans getting in and also goes a long way to explaining why the atmosphere in our supposed ‘Wall of Sound’ is often disappointing .
On a different subject the youtuber Expressions Oozing ( I don’t really know what one of those is but I have seen him on Sky Sports occasionally) is a few rows in front of me.He seems very popular with our younger fans and always seems to make time prior to kick to meet them and do the obligatory selfies (how times have changed!!) He seems a very pleasant chap and his love for our Club appears 100% genuine.Good work fella.

As I said before, at the Boro game I didn't recognise a single person within 20 or 30 feet of me in any direction. I'm in the South Stand as well.

As I said before, at the Boro game I didn't recognise a single person within 20 or 30 feet of me in any direction. I'm in the South Stand as well.
I had about 4 guys down from Glasgow near me in the North upper. They was currently in London working and came to the game as something to do I suppose rather than sit in a pub watching it as a neutral. Friendly enough and just wanted to see VAR at a game - they want it in the SPL(they have no idea!:)). I told them that they didn’t.

I think the game went to general sale. Therefore, anyone could get a ticket which contributed to both the high attendance and the lack of atmosphere. The fact that the usual people was not there was because those ST holders could not make it for one reason or another (there would also be some who couldn’t be bothered of course).

Ditto

Makes you wonder if the ticket exchange is actually such a good thing. Has it made flogging your ticket too easy?

People just keep a ST going as a placeholder.

Ticket exchange had nothing to do with it on this occasion because it was not active for this game. Although, I see your point for league games and it is open for abuse but it is good for when ST holders can not genuinely go. It ensures the ticket is sold in a controlled way by the club.

Utter pathetic response from the club. They need to employ more stewards and better trained (or pay for more old bill to be in the ground). What I witnessed at the Olympiakos game was a shambles. An away fan openly arguing and goading with home supporters. Stewards asked him to calm down he didn't, he asked him to leave, he refused. Steward didn't know what to do so just walked off. I asked the head steward on the stairs on the way back, what he was doing and his response was he didn't understand football. When the away fan continues to act like a cunt, the stewards went back to the area to blame the home fans around him.

Contrast this to the stewards over heavy and manhandling approach to home supporters who walk into the wrong entrance around the bar area and I think to myself why do I pay so much money for this bulkshit.

You're just as big an issue as the guy making the fuss - an entitled fan not prepared to assist but happy to moan on the internet - guaranteed if he'd mouthed off where I used to sit/stand the stewards would have had plenty of gentle 'help' removing the lad. Easy to whine and do nothing, just man up.

Ditto

Makes you wonder if the ticket exchange is actually such a good thing. Has it made flogging your ticket too easy?

People just keep a ST going as a placeholder.

We used to have ticket exchange before stub hub.

Difference is now there are a lot more tickets to exchange. Especially when we are playing badly and you are looking at £100+ a game.

The reality is the club needs ST holder money.
The ticket prices are so high now people will pick and choose their games.

All of the safe standing seats went to previous existing WHL ST holders I think.
Not sure if any of the new Wembley ST holders got a chance to buy them.

I support ticket exchange ST holders won’t always be able to attend all games given the pressures of modern life, not to mention the many fixture changes due to tv schedules.However I think that given that the ST is for 19 league games ST holders should only be able to offer a maximum of 5 games for resale ( just over25%) This would maybe encourage those that seem to sell almost every game to give up their STs and then maybe these could be resold to genuine fans who want to support the team on a regular basis.Idealistic it may be (and it wouldn’t stop the tout ST holders, of which there appear to be many) but I would love to see more full time, proper fans in the ground, especially in the South so it can become the raucous area it should be.

You're just as big an issue as the guy making the fuss - an entitled fan not prepared to assist but happy to moan on the internet - guaranteed if he'd mouthed off where I used to sit/stand the stewards would have had plenty of gentle 'help' removing the lad. Easy to whine and do nothing, just man up.
Times have changed. If you gave him a "helping hand" to leave these days you'd probably be ejected yourself.

I support ticket exchange ST holders won’t always be able to attend all games given the pressures of modern life, not to mention the many fixture changes due to tv schedules.However I think that given that the ST is for 19 league games ST holders should only be able to offer a maximum of 5 games for resale ( just over25%) This would maybe encourage those that seem to sell almost every game to give up their STs and then maybe these could be resold to genuine fans who want to support the team on a regular basis.Idealistic it may be (and it wouldn’t stop the tout ST holders, of which there appear to be many) but I would love to see more full time, proper fans in the ground, especially in the South so it can become the raucous area it should be.

I agree there should be a cap.

If you can’t go to loads of games you shouldn’t get a ST.

With the size of the new ground it’s not as difficult to get tickets for individual games

In regards to your last point Only way that will happen is if prices reduce. But. The reality is that’s not what the club want. Raucous or rich?? Rich please.

So unfortunately you just need to get used to it. The club wants the tourists. They spend more and that is really all that matters.

Also I got an ST being 68k on the waiting list. At the new stadium my nephew was 35k on the list and got offered one. (I previously had an ST back in the 00s to 2012)

And These hardcore supporters you talk about have STs but also sell or share them between family. (That’s always happened as far back as I can remember).
Or they have been offered STs and don’t want one/ maybe can’t afford one anymore.
Or they used to go to more games but have chosen to stop going as much since going back to new stadium - because it’s a bit crap.

I think we have a hardcore long term support of 15k-20k.
After that the rest to use a well loved TFC term are “floaters”.

I'm in the Lower Paxton - and the same applied to me for that game.

Think a lot to do with midweek January and ST holders needing to buy tickets for the CL game this week. January is a long month for lots of people.

That FA cup match was ideal for members to see the stadium so worked out well for all I think.

Agree. Not sure what the appropriate cut off should be but I'd say 5 might be appropriate (including Cup games).

Bayern Munich brought in a similar thing a couple of years back to address exactly this issue. A notice went out to all ST fans to inform them that if they failed to attend 'x' games (I think they said it was 8 games) they would lose their ST. No idea if it worked.

Agree. Not sure what the appropriate cut off should be but I'd say 5 might be appropriate (including Cup games).

Bayern Munich brought in a similar thing a couple of years back to address exactly this issue. A notice went out to all ST fans to inform them that if they failed to attend 'x' games (I think they said it was 8 games) they would lose their ST. No idea if it worked.

They can afford to say that. What are their ST prices £150 to £700 for the most expensive??

We definitely need the cash the our STs bring in. Think if there was massive demand for our STs at the current pricing the club might try to wittle down ST holders. But be pretty impossible to monitor if the ST named person is actually using it.

And the whole ticket thing is a sign the club want the cash up front and don’t mind if it’s then used by 1 person or 20. Maybe this will change in the future.

Family of about 8 share the 2seats next to me I think. Quite often different people. To the left family of 4 and their friends use it too.

Another ST holder I know is in the army. Usually stationed abroad. He sees 5-6 games a year these days. Gifts ticket or uses the exchange.

They used to take 15% from the ST holder (or similar) if you put it in the exchange I think. These days you get face value.

The club just want plenty of cash up front. That’s the key here.
A season coming up with no CL football won’t change that either. Can’t see us charging £100 to watch Rubik’s cube Kazakhstan.

Saracens relegation may effect that

Won't effect any games this season, they'll be relegated at the end of the current season.

Will 100% effect the next 2 seasons of planned games (at least). In rugby union you have to comply with the salary cap for 2 full seasons to be allowed to play in the prem. Saracens will be over the cap limit this season (thus the relegation) so will spend 2 years in the championship.

Won't effect any games this season, they'll be relegated at the end of the current season.

Will 100% effect the next 2 seasons of planned games (at least). In rugby union you have to comply with the salary cap for 2 full seasons to be allowed to play in the prem. Saracens will be over the cap limit this season (thus the relegation) so will spend 2 years in the championship.
I mean it might affect the attendence. I know the ways and wherefores behind the relegation

They can afford to say that. What are their ST prices £150 to £700 for the most expensive??

We definitely need the cash the our STs bring in. Think if there was massive demand for our STs at the current pricing the club might try to wittle down ST holders. But be pretty impossible to monitor if the ST named person is actually using it.

And the whole ticket thing is a sign the club want the cash up front and don’t mind if it’s then used by 1 person or 20. Maybe this will change in the future.

Family of about 8 share the 2seats next to me I think. Quite often different people. To the left family of 4 and their friends use it too.

Another ST holder I know is in the army. Usually stationed abroad. He sees 5-6 games a year these days. Gifts ticket or uses the exchange.

They used to take 15% from the ST holder (or similar) if you put it in the exchange I think. These days you get face value.

The club just want plenty of cash up front. That’s the key here.
A season coming up with no CL football won’t change that either. Can’t see us charging £100 to watch Rubik’s cube Kazakhstan.
Can't disagree with any of that, it's the real reason ST's exist today and why clubs (inc Tottenham) are passive on the issue. It also leads to ST waiting lists, all these numbers are then used by the Club and within finance to establish the value of the clubs, be that brand and/or actual.

The real issue is actually the fans rather than the clubs, although the clubs are complicit in fueling it. Why the fuck someone who knows they are only going to attend 5-6 games a season applies for an ST is beyond me and fucks up the whole system for those that will attend every game that are waiting in the ST waiting list (which is approx +100k). The bottom line for me is an ST is for convenience of the regular matchday goer, nothing more nothing less. It's not a badge of honour (never understand why people have to announce to the world that they are an ST of 'x' club, proves absolutely fuck all, who gives a shit), it means you don't have to queue (online, in person or on the phone), it means your seat is guaranteed. If the Club gets it right there is a mechanism to identify loyalty, although this opens up a different can of worms that again only fans the flames of misuse by the fan.

Fan's who sell on their ST's and these that get into the hands of oppo fans simply shouldn't be tolerated. In these cases, it's a piece of piss to identify them, because if there are complaints then it means they've been identified. So, report it. Have the stewards deal with it, I've actually no specific issue with the rival fan (I've gone to hundreds of games in the home section) the issue is with the fan that sold the ticket, have them banned. There is a ticket exchange in place if this was used and the seat has a rival fan in it then there is an issue with ticket exchange, not the ST holder. But nothing gets done if it's not reported.

And this is the problem, I witnessed it numerous times, I have NEVER reported it. I just moaned about it. I suspect this is the norm. "We" are in general society of moaning bastards that do nothing about changing anything because "we" are too apathetic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom