New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think it helps the atmosphere that a % of fans now turn up just to support/watch 1 man rather than the team. Not knocking their dedication and the expense they go to watch Son but if he signed for Woolwich in January they’d all be down at the Emirates.

I don’t think it helps the atmosphere that a % of fans now turn up just to support/watch 1 man rather than the team. Not knocking their dedication and the expense they go to watch Son but if he signed for Woolwich in January they’d all be down at the Emirates.
I get this but it's not as if they get a priority over tickets. I think we can generally be grateful that they are picking up the slack from Mr Anti-Levy from Hertfordshire who can't be bothered to go now unless it's a big game because of X, Y, Z.

I get this but it's not as if they get a priority over tickets. I think we can generally be grateful that they are picking up the slack from Mr Anti-Levy from Hertfordshire who can't be bothered to go now unless it's a big game because of X, Y, Z.

My reasons are currently more A-Z!! I’m mainly I’m focusing on health, work and family at weekends at the moment.

A lot of the joy has gone from watching Spurs. And being treated like a theatre goer is not really my cup of tea.

But your point is ignoring the obvious financial argument.

Tourists will pay whatever to watch football. (And it would seem older people happy to do the conga around the concourse on a Saturday afternoon).

The football crowd has changed. As it always would at the new stadium. That was the aim.

Mr Average from Herts who wants to take his 2 kids to a game is forking out £100- £150+ a time for a football match. 19x a season.
Well you can do the maths. That’s a decent part of a family holiday with the Mrs.

The matches are boring, the stewards can at times be pretty aggressive and I can fully understand why people have an issue paying the highest prices in the premiership to watch a frankly below average Premier League football side.

My reasons are currently more A-Z!! I’m mainly I’m focusing on health, work and family at weekends at the moment.

A lot of the joy has gone from watching Spurs. And being treated like a theatre goer is not really my cup of tea.

Tourists will pay whatever to watch football. (And it would seem older people happy to do the conga around the concourse on a Saturday afternoon).

The football crowd has changed. As it always would at the new stadium. That was the aim.

Mr Average from Herts who wants to take his 2 kids to a game is forking out £100- £150+ a time for a football match. 19x a season.
Well you can do the maths. That’s a decent part of a family holiday with the Mrs.

The matches are boring, the stewards can at times be pretty aggressive and I can fully understand why people have an issue paying the highest prices in the premiership to watch a frankly below average Premier League football side.
The only time I stopped going was when the "outside world" had to take priority and I just couldn't justify the cost of a season ticket until I got things sorted out. Things are easier now, and up to this season, have looked forward to going to games, even if the rot has set in at the beginning of the year. Purposely make all my other plans around the fixture list, as I really don't want to miss a home game. But I'm now feeling it's more of a chore than a pleasure, and a little resentment has creeped in. Apprehension rather than hope before a game, if you know what I mean.
I enjoyed the Red Star game (might have been the three vodkas I had before the game), but that's been about it. Mixture of pain, boredom,disbelief and resignation, with the odd feeling of relief {Southampton, Villa}, watching our team at the moment.
Still enjoying the novelty of the stadium, it is a thing of beauty, but that will wear off if we don't get the football side of things sorted.

Apprehension rather than hope before a game, if you know what I mean.
I enjoyed teliehe Red Star game (might have been the three vodkas I had before the game), but that's been about it. Mixture of pain, boredom,disbelief and resignation, with the odd feeling of relief {Southampton, Villa}, watching our team at the moment.

Exactly this.

I enjoying going for the day out, meeting old friends and making new ones. Few pints, bit of banter. Telling people (Mrs P) my shit jokes.

But the football is doing my head in. The worst thing is that i am becoming numb to it. I had absolutely no belief whatsoever that we would beat Sheff U & when they scored i regarded it as an inevitability & basically shrugged my shoulders.

I have never been like that in all my years of going, I actually enjoyed the start of the 2 points from 8 games period more because i knew in my heart of hearts that it was a blip. This feels more terminal.

It's all very relevant and understandable mate. But just saying with the situation as it is (expensive tickets) what is better for the atmosphere; an empty seat or some Son fans?

I'm very much Mr Average from Herts myself so know the costs and it is often a chore during these type of times. I'm not sure on the figures but I reckon most tickets now for league games are sold on the exchange? So that's season ticket holders who have paid already but have now lost the motivation. I often have people from different parts of the world near me but sure they are ST seats.

As I posted already, I have sold all my season ticket games until Feb, I just got to the point where it cannot in my head and heart be justified anymore.

Wembley was the start of my frustration with the Club, I especially felt that last seasons late decisions to remain at Wembley were frankly dishonest. I’d been on a stadium tour in early June 2018 and it was obvious how far away the stadium was from completion. They sold it anyway and thousands of us found our way back to Wembley as a result.

since returning “home” it’s ranged from excellent to utterly crap, mostly driven by performance standards on the pitch. Although things like away supporters in the home end do not help at all either.

it’s all become a drag, because for years it’s been a drag, and I don’t have any incentive at the moment to go back.

the quality of players at the club does not justify this absolutely abhorrent level of “product”. And there remains a void from above where leadership should be.

It's all very relevant and understandable mate. But just saying with the situation as it is (expensive tickets) what is better for the atmosphere; an empty seat or some Son fans?

I'm very much Mr Average from Herts myself so know the costs and it is often a chore during these type of times. I'm not sure on the figures but I reckon most tickets now for league games are sold on the exchange? So that's season ticket holders who have paid already but have now lost the motivation. I often have people from different parts of the world near me but sure they are ST seats.

When i put a couple of tix on the exchange early in the season they were snapped up really quickly, I also have the Burnley one on there & there is zero interest. If it doesn't sell i will go anyway but it appears interest is waning rapidly.

Last edited:

100% son fans. Glad they are there. Much better than empty seats. He’s a superb player and deservedly gets the support

Tickets are too much money though

I know plenty of people who share ST’s between family or like me will use the exchange.
Saying that I think if my matchday experience was more like the old PL lower I would enjoy it a lot more and be less tempted not to go to games.

Actually bought a ticket South standing for Brighton last year and loved it. Like old times.
Banter, jokes and singing - the actual football a part of the experience.

Total opposite to where I sit. Great view but zero atmosphere 95% of the time. Shame.

When i put a couple of tix on the exhange eary in the season they were snapped up really quickly, I also have the Burnley one on there & there is zero interest. If it doesn't sell i will go anyway but it appears interest is waning rapidly.
I seem to have lucked out for Burnley, but probably as our tickets were listed as a pair.
I do think your right about the interest waning though, if yours has not sold so far it tells the story of the real demand.

As I posted already, I have sold all my season ticket games until Feb, I just got to the point where it cannot in my head and heart be justified anymore.

Wembley was the start of my frustration with the Club, I especially felt that last seasons late decisions to remain at Wembley were frankly dishonest. I’d been on a stadium tour in early June 2018 and it was obvious how far away the stadium was from completion. They sold it anyway and thousands of us found our way back to Wembley as a result.

since returning “home” it’s ranged from excellent to utterly crap, mostly driven by performance standards on the pitch. Although things like away supporters in the home end do not help at all either.

it’s all become a drag, because for years it’s been a drag, and I don’t have any incentive at the moment to go back.

the quality of players at the club does not justify this absolutely abhorrent level of “product”. And there remains a void from above where leadership should be.

Wembley was too much. As we saw in the decline in ticket sales and shutting the upper tier. Affected a lot of people.

And people on here who either knew people on the new stadium site or dealt with companies working there with long standing professional relationships were all being told it won’t be ready. I saw photos of areas and knew what people were producing. The timing like most builds was not feasible.

And speak up to get abused, called liars all sorts on here. it was never going to be ready!

In regards to the new ground I think allowing people to move seats and getting groups who know each is the key.
It’s what we had at the Lane of old and what is missing here, well that’s one thing anyway.
Pricing does chase a particular type of “customer”.

Wembley was too much. As we saw in the decline in ticket sales and shutting the upper tier. Affected a lot of people.

And people on here who either knew people on the new stadium site or dealt with companies working there with long standing professional relationships were all being told it won’t be ready. I saw photos of areas and knew what people were producing. The timing like most builds was not feasible.

And speak up to get abused, called liars all sorts on here. it was never going to be ready!

In regards to the new ground I think allowing people to move seats and getting groups who know each is the key.
It’s what we had at the Lane of old and what is missing here, well that’s one thing anyway.
Pricing does chase a particular type of “customer”.

absolutely right mate. Completely agree.

The only time I stopped going was when the "outside world" had to take priority and I just couldn't justify the cost of a season ticket until I got things sorted out. Things are easier now, and up to this season, have looked forward to going to games, even if the rot has set in at the beginning of the year. Purposely make all my other plans around the fixture list, as I really don't want to miss a home game. But I'm now feeling it's more of a chore than a pleasure, and a little resentment has creeped in. Apprehension rather than hope before a game, if you know what I mean.
I enjoyed the Red Star game (might have been the three vodkas I had before the game), but that's been about it. Mixture of pain, boredom,disbelief and resignation, with the odd feeling of relief {Southampton, Villa}, watching our team at the moment.
Still enjoying the novelty of the stadium, it is a thing of beauty, but that will wear off if we don't get the football side of things sorted.

Well I’m there for Chelsea game. With my sister and nephew too. Will come and say hello to all the TFC gang pre match for sure.

The whole day is more important to me now than the the 90 minutes.When i go i get as much joy out of seeing the chaps (and ladies ) or my brother and his lot(depending on who i go with on that particular day) as i do the game.
Wrong,i know,but its the way i feel.
Rewind 3 seasons, it was the football,as i loved the way we were playing.
As others have said,this feels more than a blip.
My next game is Burnley,and that's in the posh corporate.I am going,because you have to do these things once(and it's a freeby) but i don't have a lot of interest in the posh side of things.
I have been here before, back in the 90s. But was a lot younger then and had other interests as well.

Last edited:
This.
I remember loads of occasions as a kid getting into my dads Cortina to go to Spurs and my mate Keith being there and my dad saying " run and ask your mum can you come to Spurs,if she says yeas,you can come" He nearly always did(and he was a Woolwich)
My dad was a wood machinist for Schreibers, not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
Could you see a working man afford to treat his kids mates several times a season like this now? I doubt it.

This.
I remember loads of occasions as a kid getting into my dads Cortina to go to Spurs and my mate Keith being there and my dad saying " run and ask your mum can you come to Spurs,if she says yeas,you can come" He nearly always did(and he was a Woolwich)
My dad was a wood machinist for Schreibers, not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
Could you see a working man afford to treat his kids mates several times a season like this now? I doubt it.

And yeah I looked at the CL game earlier. Over £100 again for 1 adult 2 kids . Loads of empty seats.

Week before what is basically Xmas November payday.
Football not the main priority. That’s the reality for a lot of people.

Yes there now are a load of Son fans: there were a whole crowd (30-50 plus a guide with a flag!) standing by the cockerel logo on Saturday and my spare second seat sold to one (he seemed pretty happy when Sonny scored and was joining in the swearing & moaning when things were going to pot too).

That doesn't bother me at all though; what does is who will take up the slack when Son jumps ship?

Dude, there is a massive margin in food and drink, especially beer! This article also fails to mention revenue from merchandise and the flat fee the NFL gave us for each game. The club have already said the NFL stadium additions are covered by the 10 year contract.

I can't even imagine how much business the club shop would have done on those days, not just NFL gear but transient fans buying spurs gear. Each programme is usually £5... It all adds up and will take time to be aggregated and published.
My mate would seriously argue there is a massive profit in beer, he reckons by the time all is said and done, including run off, pipe cleaning, higher labour costs etc etc he’s lucky to make 40p on the pound compared to spirits which turns around 2.50 on the pound, 3.50+ with a standard mixer.
But he’s always bitching anyway so fuck knows!

Back
Top Bottom