New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact is that under our SGSA Licence we are required to prevent persistent standing, note the use of the word persistent, that's total undefined and has no legal status ... thus there is no actual law that says fans must sit, just that each fan must be provided with a seat and that clubs should endeavor to stop fans from persistent standing ...

Here's the 2013 Joint Statement from SGSA and the various football bodies
  1. It is preferable for standing in seated areas to be addressed primarily through the education, persuasion and positive management of spectators. However, such measures alone have not always achieved the desired results. To the extent that they continue to prove insufficient, they may need to be backed up by more robust action.
  2. This issue goes beyond safety, although safety is a major concern. It also encompasses customer care, crowd management and behaviour, and the relationship between clubs and their supporters. As such it cannot be resolved by a single agency but must instead be addressed in the round by the various responsible bodies acting together. The SGSA, the football authorities, the individual clubs and local authorities, and in some cases the police, all have a role to play.
  3. It is important that supporters are engaged in the process where possible and that they understand why the proposed action is both necessary and ultimately for their benefit. A heavy-handed approach that is perceived to penalise the innocent could be counterproductive and might exacerbate the situation. The measures taken should recognise that not all those who stand for prolonged periods do so out of choice. This may be their only means of seeing the game when other spectators around them are standing. Openness and transparency in how such issues are being managed is encouraged.
  4. The measures taken will vary according to the configuration of the ground, the number and type of spectators standing, their location and whether this is a one-off problem or one that lasts all season. The measures should flow from a detailed event specific risk assessment, and should be reasonable and proportionate. While recognising the need for a tailored approach dependent on circumstances, the degree of consistency at a national or strategic level will have an impact on the success of tackling this issue.
The Council issue the Ground Safety Certificate, despite the media bullshit scare story we off course have one for this season, part of that certification process require the same attempts to prevent persistent standing ... all clubs will be doing this but I'd be amazed if anything actually changes ....

However worth noting that the relegation of Cardiff City, who had a semi-approved designated standing area, has meant that the EPL can now put pressure on this season's EPL clubs without being called hypocrites ... might just force the safe standing trial to come that much sooner ...

At the moment though standing is not allowed so 100% of the stadium should be usable by those who can't or don't want to stand. There are many reasons why standing could be an issue, but it doesn't make them any less of a fan as some people in here seem to think it does. At the moment they're within their rights to expect to go to a game and know that they'll be able to see most of it.

If/when safe standing comes in the club needs to make sure that when people are buying tickets they can see whether they're buying for a standing or seated terrace. That's all I'm saying.

If I was in a position where I was unable to stand during games I would do the decent thing and find somewhere where the vast majority of other fans would also be sitting. Not demand to be able to sit in a stand where the majority of the other 17k fans would rather be stood up.

Not rocket science really, just common courtesy.

Last edited:
I was in a position where I was unable to stand during games I would do the decent thing and find somewhere where the vast majority of other fans would also be sitting. Not demand to be able to sit in a stand where the majority of the other 17k fans would rather be stood up.

And that the club marketed as the place to be if that was your intention no less...

At the moment though standing is not allowed so 100% of the stadium should be usable by those who can't or don't want to stand. There are many reasons why standing could be an issue, but it doesn't make them any less of a fan as some people in here seem to think it does. At the moment they're within their rights to expect to go to a game and know that they'll be able to see most of it.

If/when safe standing comes in the club needs to make sure that when people are buying tickets they can see whether they're buying for a standing or seated terrace. That's all I'm saying.
you are right as per the rules standing is not allowed, nor is swearing or abusive language but you know from experience that this happens in the ground and the areas where this is more prominent. With this in mind you adjust where you sit accordingly as all these things have always been part of football.

Why the fuck would they sell tickets to people without it being obvious which are the safe standing areas? This is a massive selling feature to most people, so they're not going to keep it a secret :avbfacepalm:

They already made it pretty damn clear to people buying season tickets in the safe standing lower section of the South Stand, so anyone buying a ticket there who doesn't want to stand/can't stand is a fucking idiot for ignoring all that and buying a ticket there anyway.

Literally nobody is saying that these people don't have a right to see the game, so I don't get why you're banging on about this to be honest.

I was in a position where I was unable to stand during games I would do the decent thing and find somewhere where the vast majority of other fans would also be sitting. Not demand to be able to sit in a stand where the majority of the other 17k fans would rather be stood up.

From all I have read / spoken to people this was standard, self policing during terraced days that as you are unable to stand you move to a sitting area. This had the added effect that you tended to get a younger crowd in the Terraced who in general are more likely to be louder*.

*I know you can make a noise when you are older, this is a generality.

Why the fuck would they sell tickets to people without it being obvious which are the safe standing areas? This is a massive selling feature to most people, so they're not going to keep it a secret :avbfacepalm:

They already made it pretty damn clear to people buying season tickets in the safe standing lower section of the South Stand, so anyone buying a ticket there who doesn't want to stand/can't stand is a fucking idiot for ignoring all that and buying a ticket there anyway.

Literally nobody is saying that these people don't have a right to see the game, so I don't get why you're banging on about this to be honest.

I'm not banging on about, I'm just putting across a different point of view to the "those that don't like standing should fuck off" as eluded to earlier in the thread. This is a discussion forum is it not?

I'm not banging on about, I'm just putting across a different point of view to the "those that don't like standing should fuck off" as eluded to earlier in the thread. This is a discussion forum is it not?
Yep, and you're totally missing the point. The club made it clear to people buying season tickets that they should only buy a seat in the future safe standing area if they're over 18 and physically able to stand as and when they get the go ahead. Therefore your complaint about safe standing areas has no legitimacy.

Yep, and you're totally missing the point. The club made it clear to people buying season tickets that they should only buy a seat in the future safe standing area if they're over 18 and physically able to stand as and when they get the go ahead. Therefore your complaint about safe standing areas has no legitimacy.

I'm not complaining about safe standing areas, I'm saying that as it's currently an all-seater stadium people shouldn't have to worry about where they sit at the moment. It's the stadiums first full season so there are a lot of people going for their first visit. For many of them it might be their last, but hopefully things will settle down soon so more fans get tickets instead of tourists or corporate.
If/when safe standing does come in then for everyone's sake the club need to make sure that the tickets are marked as such. I'm sure they will, but that's all I'm saying.
I had no idea that season ticket holders had been given that warning about the safe standing area, so many other people aren't likely to know that either. You don't want seated fans inadvertently ending up in the standing area complaining about people around them and you don't want people in the loud areas who aren't going to join in the sing songs. Both of those things kill the atmosphere.
I'm absolutely fine with safe standing, I just want the club to do it properly for everyone's sake.

What’s most annoying is I see away fans standing up. For 90 minutes.

And standing. On the actual fucking seats.

Then I just stand up and almost immediately get asked to sit down. Mind boggling.

Think that is half correct.

Yes the club has told people not to buy tickets in an area of the stadium that in the future may be designated a safe standing area if they only want to sit.

However as of today all areas of the stadium are designated as seated, like all stadiums in England and have been for some 30 years. Of course at some times (eg goals being scored) there is standing - but it shouldn't be persistent standing.

It would help if the club would relax its ‘no moves’ policy for ST holders who want to move from the south lower to a more ‘sitting friendly’ part of the stadium. I’m sure there are just as many who would move the other way. They will have to do it if safe-standing does get approved so may as well start the process now.

I do think that many made a genuine mistake and would happily move but can’t. Others are just moaning ‘standing isn’t allowed’ old gits.

Think that is half correct.

Yes the club has told people not to buy tickets in an area of the stadium that in the future may be designated a safe standing area if they only want to sit.

However as of today all areas of the stadium are designated as seated, like all stadiums in England and have been for some 30 years. Of course at some times (eg goals being scored) there is standing - but it shouldn't be persistent standing.
So which half of my post wasn't correct, because I don't see part of it that contradicts anything you've just said. I even said "future safe standing area" as I'm well aware that we can't actually market it as a safe standing area currently.

So which half of my post wasn't correct, because I don't see part of it that contradicts anything you've just said. I even said "future safe standing area" as I'm well aware that we can't actually market it as a safe standing area currently.

The line 'Therefore your complaint about safe standing areas has no legitimacy.' seemed to cut out the future bit.

But if that's me not reading it correctly, apologies

I'm in the South Upper and the problem with the atmosphere is the fans. There are some great people around me who sing and make alot of noise and their are some absolute bell ends who complain when people stand and just want to sit there like they are in a fucking opera. I have had arguements with these fans and there stock response is I have paid for my ticket so I can watch how I like. My response is why did you not go in the west, east and North stands you fucking pillock. These "fans" are a disgrace. The whole point of the south stand design is to have a "wall of noise" but at points it's like a library. The club ultimately is to blame because the moment they put the 1882 in the middle of the wall they ruined the park lane. Also with making season tickets the most expensive in Europe they have priced out alot of old Skool spurs fans who make noise and sing as well as younger local fans who would bring the noise. Imagine if instead of the 1882 they had cheap under 25 season tickets. The wall would be rocking but yet again Levy and Co. went for the greedy option. I have a season ticket but I'm getting to the point where I will just go to the big games and put my tickets for small games on the exchange. I live in Tottenham so can just watch it in the local boozer and go away. I went to the Haringey Boro FA cup game and you get more atmosphere there then half the games in the "Wall of Breeze"

I'm in the South Upper and the problem with the atmosphere is the fans. There are some great people around me who sing and make alot of noise and their are some absolute bell ends who complain when people stand and just want to sit there like they are in a fucking opera. I have had arguements with these fans and there stock response is I have paid for my ticket so I can watch how I like. My response is why did you not go in the west, east and North stands you fucking pillock. These "fans" are a disgrace. The whole point of the south stand design is to have a "wall of noise" but at points it's like a library. The club ultimately is to blame because the moment they put the 1882 in the middle of the wall they ruined the park lane. Also with making season tickets the most expensive in Europe they have priced out alot of old Skool spurs fans who make noise and sing as well as younger local fans who would bring the noise. Imagine if instead of the 1882 they had cheap under 25 season tickets. The wall would be rocking but yet again Levy and Co. went for the greedy option. I have a season ticket but I'm getting to the point where I will just go to the big games and put my tickets for small games on the exchange. I live in Tottenham so can just watch it in the local boozer and go away. I went to the Haringey Boro FA cup game and you get more atmosphere there then half the games in the "Wall of Breeze"

352b7ea674ab68717a63cbd58c330c7c.jpg

thumb_ever-getthe-feeling-youve-been-cheated-memegenerator-net-ever-get-the-54093475.png

Back
Top Bottom