New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Although it will cost less, I don't think it is a viable option as it will require demolition of the school/other buildings opposite, so they can build a new road and a large public space which will accommodate 30,000 spectators for one stand, plus anyone else who is walking through to get to Paxton/Park Lane. We will also have to carry on through with our plans to improve the transport links and the expansion of White Hart Lane train station. It's a lot of cost for one stand

Plus it will look really strange
I think it could look really cool, I didn't realise that was a school, that does change everything. 25,000 seater Paxton it is. Though that'd look quite odd

Actually the biggest issue is transport.

Why Northumberland park is still just a depot amazes me.

This WILL become a hub soon. By soon I mean in 5 to 10 years time. The lines are already there ffs.

According to TFL it won't be worth the money as it would only be used on matchday, which is absolute nonsense if you ask me.

Are the height levels in metres ? And is it from ground level or sea level ?
I only ask because if the roof height is just over 50 metres from ground level, that is going to have a major impact on the local skyline. There is an office building near to where I live called Southgate house and this is 58 metres tall, just 8 metres taller than the proposed height of the new WHL, if anyone knows it you will know what I mean. I just can't imagine a stadium being that tall.

Exactly @ Gothamizm Gothamizm the atmosphere is going to be dead and buried forever. I doubt there's any turning back now though, it's shite anyway.

Apart from that I love the lane and don't see an extra 22000 people wanting to watch Tottenham vs Stoke

Thank God someone agrees with me, and is prepared to swim against the tide, and leave "I've got a bigger stadium than you" ego behind. The supporters in England unfortunately lack the passion of our European counterparts, and large stadiums rarely have a good atmosphere anyway. Mainly because the working class man is being priced out of watching football, the middle class families are infesting our stadiums, and political correctness prevents us from enjoying ourselves, the atmosphere is dying.

Of course, there is an argument that we need a larger turnover to attract the players we need. This is an argument I whole heartedly and adamantly disagree with. Match day turnover contributes lass than 20% of the clubs turnover, and by increasing the capacity by 20,000 will in % terms only increase total turnover by a negligible amount. It should also be remembered that the stadium build will take a good ten years to pay for, in which time we won't be able to buy any players of real value. I also think you all know that if we don't start getting CL on a regular basis (which is unlikely) attempting to fill the stadium will be an embarrassment, especially as our chairman doesn't understand strategic pricing. For example, WHL was half empty the other night, regardless of the official attendance, and he was still charging £25 per adult. Chelsea and Woolwich charge £10 for similar games. Levy will no doubt try and follow the Emirates route and increase tickets by about 30%. As well as all that, the now unsociable times supporters are expected to turn up, is putting people off.

So why should the club build a new stadium. Spurs would become an attractive and viable purchase for some billionaire Russian or Arab. This means that Levy and the board build the new stadium using the clubs money, but when the club is sold they make an absolute fortune. I don't actually have a problem with that, I just don't think that people should get sucked in thinking that a bigger stadium will get us success. After all, what have that lot up the road won since they built the Emirates ?

Thank God someone agrees with me, and is prepared to swim against the tide, and leave "I've got a bigger stadium than you" ego behind. The supporters in England unfortunately lack the passion of our European counterparts, and large stadiums rarely have a good atmosphere anyway. Mainly because the working class man is being priced out of watching football, the middle class families are infesting our stadiums, and political correctness prevents us from enjoying ourselves, the atmosphere is dying.

Of course, there is an argument that we need a larger turnover to attract the players we need. This is an argument I whole heartedly and adamantly disagree with. Match day turnover contributes lass than 20% of the clubs turnover, and by increasing the capacity by 20,000 will in % terms only increase total turnover by a negligible amount. It should also be remembered that the stadium build will take a good ten years to pay for, in which time we won't be able to buy any players of real value. I also think you all know that if we don't start getting CL on a regular basis (which is unlikely) attempting to fill the stadium will be an embarrassment, especially as our chairman doesn't understand strategic pricing. For example, WHL was half empty the other night, regardless of the official attendance, and he was still charging £25 per adult. Chelsea and Woolwich charge £10 for similar games. Levy will no doubt try and follow the Emirates route and increase tickets by about 30%. As well as all that, the now unsociable times supporters are expected to turn up, is putting people off.

So why should the club build a new stadium. Spurs would become an attractive and viable purchase for some billionaire Russian or Arab. This means that Levy and the board build the new stadium using the clubs money, but when the club is sold they make an absolute fortune. I don't actually have a problem with that, I just don't think that people should get sucked in thinking that a bigger stadium will get us success. After all, what have that lot up the road won since they built the Emirates ?
While I normally disagree with you today I don't. I find it funny that the cunts down the road use the stadium as a reason for not winning squat, I don't know how it prevented them from beating a soon to be relegated Birmingham City in the CC final of 2011.

As a fan I see the reason for a larger supporter making the stadium more accessible to those who aren't members, I remember last season trying to get tickets against Coventry to find it was sold out. I agree that prices are the main reason why we sometimes fail to sell out WHL, I know we're not Bayern Munich but their ticket prices are the stuff of dreams, I would much rather all this new TV money went into covering the costs of tickets, imagining WHL takes between £3-£4 million per match day and the TV rights amount to something to the tune of £44 million, that in simple terms is 11 games free or 22 games at half price.

ahhh we can dream

I blame Tony Blair, Richard Caborn and Tessa Jowell.

If they hadn't fucked up the Athletics stadium for Pickett's Lock, we could have collared that after it was done with

:troll:

We do need a bigger stadium for future of the club if we want to compete consistantly. A new stadium could welldouble our revenue generated from the stadium and once the stadium is paid for (not an insignificant thing to do though) that is big when it comes to profit. Ticket prices are already silly when it comes to games against crap clubs and will probably just get worse either way, but it will go up more with a new stadium- thats inevitable, unfortunately. I don't buy into this class bollocks. Being middle class doesn't change your vocal cords. I do care about the atmosphere though and support any effort to improve it either in the current stadium or new. I believe a new stadium can have a decent atmosphere but it is hard to achieve.

The cost of a new stadium is rightly a concern. Do we know how it will be financed? This is my big concern in this whole thing. Woolwich could afford it because they had CL for around a decade and had won titles. So far, we haven't had that. So where exactly is the cash going to come from?

Back
Top Bottom