New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was 1982 when the West Stand was opened by Sir Stanley Rous & Alan Wells (?), and we beat Wolves and Ricky got a hat-trick, and it was the future for football, with its executive boxes. Not taking long to bring it down to rubble. The digger looks like a dinosaur attacking it's enemy. I must stop looking at these pictures, as it's so painful, but it has a morbid fascination and I just can't stay away.

It was 1982 when the West Stand was opened by Sir Stanley Rous & Alan Wells (?), and we beat Wolves and Ricky got a hat-trick, and it was the future for football, with its executive boxes. Not taking long to bring it down to rubble. The digger looks like a dinosaur attacking it's enemy. I must stop looking at these pictures, as it's so painful, but it has a morbid fascination and I just can't stay away.
I vowed not to look at them...But can't help myself.

Before we all get too overly sentimental... as someone else pointed out on here the other day, the White Hart Lane we're all going misty-eyed nostalgia for (y'know, the one of the '60s/'70s & early '80s) bears very little resemblance to the one that's currently being demolished...

I know many people that started to feel less affinity with the ground when the Shelf 'died' and the East Stand Pillars went up!
As for me, apart from the Shelf itself, and the terracing, the pointy rooftops on the Paxton & Park Lane that bore no relation whatsoever to the West Stand are what i'll associate WHL with, and they went over 20 years ago!
...this one >>>
94a5e95b30224f8d533891537b5dddae.jpg

I know we'll miss the old ground... I still do... some of us have been missing it for decades!
It's the new old ground we're seeing being demolished... in exchange for an even newer NEW WHL!

So don't be sad fellow Spurs fans... think of it more like this, if it helps?

b79dbf9ff3d24a25c034a37b40049564.jpg

Last edited:
Before we all get too overly sentimental... as someone else pointed out on here the other day, the White Hart Lane we're all going misty-eyed nostalgia for (y'know, the one of the '60s/'70s & early '80s) bears very little resemblance to the one that's currently being demolished...

I know many people that started to feel less affinity with the ground when the Shelf 'died' and the East Stand Pillars went up!
As for me, apart from the Shelf itself, and the terracing, the pointy rooftops on the Paxton & Park Lane that bore no relation whatsoever to the West Stand are what i'll associate WHL with, and they went over 20 years ago!
...this one >>>
94a5e95b30224f8d533891537b5dddae.jpg

I know we'll miss the old ground... I still do... some of us have been missing it for decades!
It's the new old ground we're seeing being demolished... in exchange for an even newer NEW WHL!

So don't be sad fellow Spurs fans... think of it more like this, if it helps?

b79dbf9ff3d24a25c034a37b40049564.jpg
I know what you're getting at, and that's one of the reasons I didn't bother with buying a seat, as I have stood and sat in all parts of the ground, and the WHL we left a few weeks ago is completely different to the WHL I first attended. But as it has been done bit by bit, didn't feel quite as bereft as I did on the 14th May. If the new stadium would have been ready for the start of next season, I would be feeling the excitement more and the sadness less; can't say I am looking forward to a year away.

Next year is gonna be odd... I just hope the team don't suffer as much as the fans will as a result...
for a start, all those red seats!!!!!
:pochshock::dierno:
...even more
reason to pack the place out each week, and cover them all up with White & Navy tops!!!!

Initially the thought of a whole season at Wembley sounded fantastic but admittedly after 4 visits last season the novelty has already worn off and any enthusiasm has long gone. The only plus being I will be able to get tickets to all cat A games next season!

I think it will be really hard for us next season, players and fans.
If we manage to achieve anything near this or last year it will be a better achievement than this year.

Back
Top Bottom