New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did the corporate side of things Saturday as my mates business has 3 tickets.
Pre match we were in a nice cozy bar watching Everton stuff Chelsea, you have to pay for your drinks but the complimentary chicken burgers and pies were a nice touch.Half time drink is free,as are the sausage roll,brownies and chocolate chip cookies.Post match, free food again(same stuff as half time).
View was excellent, lower tier of the east stand and my seat was padded and very comfy.
Was most amusing when my mate told the lovely South Koreans around us that we had sold Son that morning.They laughed and saw the funny side of it,one in particular is probably a friend for life with my mate now :)
Oh and the football weren't bad either...

New book about the stadium about to come out:

From the website:
An incredible first-person account from Daniel Levy, describing the numerous challenges that were overcome in the land assembly and planning stages – not to mention the discovery of a large-scale drugs operation in one of the buildings.

:lamelashock:
I've got 100 quid worth of club shop gift card I were given. That's a possible use

After a match it's an idea to hang around in the stadium for a couple of beers to let the queues at the station die down.

That wouldn't be possible after boxing as it would finish so late, the bars would all be closed. Be a nightmare getting a train.

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me:

1. Now we're ticking over nicely, what's the atmosphere like? I heard it wasn't amazing on Jose's first home game (understandable, since it was all a bit weird), but I haven't heard much else, which I'm guessing isn't a bad thing. Just wondering if everyone is happy with it and the planning/acoustics etc. are a success?

2. What is the theoretical maximum capacity they *could* achieve with this architecture? Did they plan for replaceable stands etc? Could it end up being 70/80k?

I don't see why they wouldn't - but don't seem to for NFL

You would think its potentially more lucrative to sell to Spurs fans as we're already used to piling in early / staying late to spend even more money
Quite the opposite I'd say mate. It makes better business sense to attract first timers to the stadium, who will be so excited they'll want to try everything and spend loads of money, and potentially make a shed load off merch sales (no way they wouldn't open up the shop during any event at the stadium).

People who go every week just don't spend as much money

1. Now we're ticking over nicely, what's the atmosphere like? I heard it wasn't amazing on Jose's first home game (understandable, since it was all a bit weird), but I haven't heard much else, which I'm guessing isn't a bad thing. Just wondering if everyone is happy with it and the planning/acoustics etc. are a success?

2. What is the theoretical maximum capacity they *could* achieve with this architecture? Did they plan for replaceable stands etc? Could it end up being 70/80k?

I noticed the re-emergence of a few rarely sung songs on Saturday. Sounds like it's coming back.
Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is, the new stadium opened when the football got pretty bad. It stopped the atmosphere developing to some degree. It was great against City in the CL. Dismal in some other games.

ss.png

Re your point (2)

A) The stadium was built with a height restriction - so that would need to be overturned to build stands higher, and they are built steeply as the width of the plot the stadium is built on is not that wide (sandwiched between two public rights of way ie roads).
B) Bowl shaped stadiums are generally built with minimal expansion potential - its a fundamental consequence of the bowl design unlike the old style 'half barn' stands.
C) Transport options in the area are being expanded to meet the current stadium capacity's 'safe exit' requirements (still to come to meet that is longer trains). So another big increase in transport capacity would be required to increase the stadium.

All of the above help explain why Spurs have increased stadium capacity by several lots of a hundred or two since initially opening the stadium,. And equally explain why the current capacity might rise to say 62,500 - but very very unlikely to ever get to 70k+

Back
Top Bottom