New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t get why listeners on talksport aren’t bored with the trolling presenters like Durham, Cundy and the like. Taking up extreme positions to get dim listeners wound up feels well past its sell by date.

Don’t mind Hawksby / Jacobs / Kelly, most of the late night ones whose names I can’t remember, or even clowns like Mike Parry.

Mark Saggers is the most cuntish of the lot - He went to the Perse independent school in Cambridge and a few years back he suddenly started putting on a geezer-ish accent to do his commentaries. It’s fucking hilarious.

I don’t get why listeners on talksport aren’t bored with the trolling presenters like Durham, Cundy and the like. Taking up extreme positions to get dim listeners wound up feels well past its sell by date.

Don’t mind Hawksby / Jacobs / Kelly, most of the late night ones whose names I can’t remember, or even clowns like Mike Parry.

Mark Saggers is the most cuntish of the lot - He went to the Perse independent school in Cambridge and a few years back he suddenly started putting on a geezer-ish accent to do his commentaries. It’s fucking hilarious.

Sorry completely off topic but whenever I hear his name mentioned it always reminds me of this. Daft bastard!

The Trust should really stop feeding the media ...

Fans fear being priced out of watching Tottenham at new stadium

They quote the trust word for word "THST has argued that season-ticket prices at the new stadium are too high but it thanked the club for the freeze, while revealing concern at the individual prices for Cat B and C matches, which are some 30-50 percent higher on average than at White Hart Lane"

Fact is the Trust's numbers are just plain wrong

For Category A matches tickets at the new stadium start from £52, with the most expensive £98, while Cat B spans from £43 to £95 and Category B £30 to £80.

There is no way that these are higher than last season at Wembley (in fact they are lower) or indeed 30-50 percent higher than the last season at White Hart Lane.

The fact that the Trust do a great job can't be ignored but someone within their ranks is constantly bleating to the media about season ticket prices, and worse they are claiming to represent the rank and file, it's not true and it's certainly not the majority view,

Is NWHL expensive? yes it bloody is. It is comparable with other London clubs? yes it is ... do we have over 40,000 ST holders and 70,000 members? yes we do. Whilst we would all like to get in for a fiver those fan numbers show that the vast majority of us accept that we are getting a reasonable deal ... the Trust need to let this go, they are just feeding the media machine.

The Trust should really stop feeding the media ...

Fans fear being priced out of watching Tottenham at new stadium

They quote the trust word for word "THST has argued that season-ticket prices at the new stadium are too high but it thanked the club for the freeze, while revealing concern at the individual prices for Cat B and C matches, which are some 30-50 percent higher on average than at White Hart Lane"

Fact is the Trust's numbers are just plain wrong

For Category A matches tickets at the new stadium start from £52, with the most expensive £98, while Cat B spans from £43 to £95 and Category B £30 to £80.

There is no way that these are higher than last season at Wembley (in fact they are lower) or indeed 30-50 percent higher than the last season at White Hart Lane.

The fact that the Trust do a great job can't be ignored but someone within their ranks is constantly bleating to the media about season ticket prices, and worse they are claiming to represent the rank and file, it's not true and it's certainly not the majority view,

Is NWHL expensive? yes it bloody is. It is comparable with other London clubs? yes it is ... do we have over 40,000 ST holders and 70,000 members? yes we do. Whilst we would all like to get in for a fiver those fan numbers show that the vast majority of us accept that we are getting a reasonable deal ... the Trust need to let this go, they are just feeding the media machine.

Sometimes I feel the trust, whilst good natured sometimes flies into things a little too quickly. I'm sure they're nice enough people but I see them as being a little too one dimensional to bridge the gaps that can occur between club and fans.

One of the things I'm looking so forward to is this stadium and all of the issues surrounding it via Social Media, ranging from ticket prices to kitchen leaks, the level of the pitch, all the niggles that inevitably occur with such a big build constantly drawing negativity from people. We've become a punching bag for negativity, everything gets jumped on it'll be so good to just get back to watching football without all of the Coronation Street bollocks that's gone on over the last few years.

The prices are high, anyone thinking they wouldn't be is deluded. It's London and it's the most expensive club stadium I think has ever been built.

Back to the Trust however, I do think they sometimes act a little unnecessarily bias based on their feelings and not the thoughts of the collective fans. Nice people but not what I'd call a proper Supporters Trust.

47423251721_55b40b437e_o.jpg

I dug out some old season ticket books today just to remind myself of what we used to pay.
I had a standing enclosure season ticket in 87/88 £72
Season 90/91 members stand(Paxton) £114 and that was with 5 cup games included.
It did get me thinking if prices kept pace with inflation then that same seat would be about £240 today!
Wages have gone up about 2 1/2 times but the cost of tickets have gone up a staggering 10 fold in the same timeframe.
So I think the trust are only right in highlighting the high cost of tickets. The game is awash with money, how hard would it be to trickle a small proportion of it back to keeping ticket prices down.
7 different prices to sit in the park lane? What's all that about!

I dug out some old season ticket books today just to remind myself of what we used to pay.
It did get me thinking if prices kept pace with inflation then that same seat would be about £240 today!
Wages have gone up about 2 1/2 times but the cost of tickets have gone up a staggering 10 fold in the same timeframe.
So I think the trust are only right in highlighting the high cost of tickets. The game is awash with money, how hard would it be to trickle a small proportion of it back to keeping ticket prices down.

I have no problem with them highlighting the ridiculous cost of ticket prices in the current climate.
Family of four would cost £210 + booking fee where I sit for CAT A. So £220ish. Theatre prices......

Carabao cup will hopefully/probably be about £50 - 60 for 4 tickets though. So equivalent to league 2.

At a certain point premier league football will become an expense I can’t justify at the current rates of inflation so I’m more than happy for them to bang the drum for me and keep prices down for as long as possible.

I guess In the long term the flip side of lower pricing will inevitably be that we as a club are doing worse and then the supply outweighs demand. So don’t think anyone really wants that either.

I’m more than aware the reality is more and more seats will be taken by football tourists who don’t mind paying the big prices for that once in a lifetime experience. At a Now world class stadium. So they will get more value for money.

The long term fan is probably less concerned about all the mod cons as over time we will take for granted what we have.

Just the way the world works.

But your comparing apples and oranges .... the cost of players has gone up 200 fold, your ticket has gone up 10 fold .... are you therefore not getting a bargain?

It's like asking any supplier to give away their product at a huge discount even though that product is in massive demand. It might sound good but it makes no commercial sense ... over the last decade Spurs have averaged about 20m profit a year, so even if you gave 25% back to ST holders that's less than 100 quid each, and just that small amount would mean one less player we could afford to pay a decent salary.

If as you suggest a 'small percentage' is given back then it's probably just 20 quid each why bother? ... Whilst football may well be awash with money the profit margins are still small, like most top clubs Spurs plough all the money straight back into the club, they have too if they want to compete. Just look at how 12 months with no signings has slowed us down.

The very reason we are rising above the likes of West Ham and Everton is because we will now be able to generate that extra 60-70m a year in ticket/corporate revenue from our stadium, and yes that does come from the fans pockets. All clubs get TV money, however the big sustainable difference is stadium income ... that guaranteed increased match-day income provides the funds to support success, that then drives European income, that allows better Commercial deals, stay in that cycle of success and you move further ahead of your mid-table rivals

PwmhPwa.0.png

If you think of ticket prices as your Basic Salary, then TV is your overtime, and Commercial are your Bank Holidays. We've just worked our nuts off (building a new stadium) to get a massive rise in basic salary, so who now would give up their basic salary rise and thus risk getting less overtime and fewer bank holidays?

That might not be the best analogy but hopefully you see the point.

So if you advocate giving that vital differential away, the one that we've just invested 750m to create, by supplying below market value tickets to fans, then sure you might get some happy fans but almost certainly with less money Spurs will just revert to the mid-table club we have been for the last five decades ... is that seriously what the Trust are advocating?

To see how big stadium with cheap tickets works you've only got to look at West Ham ... it's an epic fail, why on earth would the Trust or anyone else want to replicate that?

Last edited:
But your comparing apples and oranges .... the cost of players has gone up 200 fold, your ticket has gone up 10 fold .... are you therefore not getting a bargain?

It's like asking any supplier to give away their product at a huge discount even though that product is in massive demand. It might sound good but it makes no commercial sense ... over the last decade Spurs have averaged about 20m profit a year, so even if you gave 25% back to ST holders that's less than 100 quid each, and just that small amount would mean one less player we could afford to pay a decent salary.

If as you suggest a 'small percentage' is given back then it's probably just 20 quid each why bother? ... Whilst football may well be awash with money the profit margins are still small, like most top clubs Spurs plough all the money straight back into the club, they have too if they want to compete. Just look at how 12 months with no signings has slowed us down.

The very reason we are rising above the likes of West Ham and Everton is because we will now be able to generate that extra 60-70m a year in ticket/corporate revenue from our stadium, and yes that does come from the fans pockets. All clubs get TV money, however the big sustainable difference is stadium income ... that guaranteed increased match-day income provides the funds to support success, that then drives European income, that allows better Commercial deals, stay in that cycle of success and you move further ahead of your mid-table rivals

PwmhPwa.0.png

If you think of ticket prices as your Basic Salary, then TV is your overtime, and Commercial are your Bank Holidays. We've just worked our nuts off (building a new stadium) to get a massive rise in basic salary, so who now would give up their basic salary rise and thus risk getting less overtime and fewer bank holidays?

That might not be the best analogy but hopefully you see the point.

So if you advocate giving that vital differential away, the one that we've just invested 750m to create, by supplying below market value tickets to fans, then sure you might get some happy fans but almost certainly with less money Spurs will just revert to the mid-table club we have been for the last five decades ... is that seriously what the Trust are advocating?

To see how big stadium with cheap tickets works you've only got to look at West Ham ... it's an epic fail, why on earth would the Trust or anyone else want to replicate that?

To me though Football started off as a working mans sport, how many of us would have supported this club like we do now if we hadn’t been taken to our first game at the Lane when we were younger?
I remember my dad taking me down the lane for the first time and from that minute I was hooked, the reality is the majority of people now wouldn’t be able to afford to take there son or daughter to there first game, i know you talk of supply and demand and your right as I had no problem paying for my ST I thought it was a reasonable amount but only as I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it, there are many out there who can’t afford such luxuries, and where does that leave us with future generations of fans, however the hard truth is the club don’t care about us as fans, they care about bums on seats and regardless of whether that person is a tourist or a lifelong fan as long as they pay the money The club is happy, fast forward 10 years though and we risk having the same atmosphere in the new ground as we have had at Wembley the last few seasons with seats occupied by tourists and day trippers, I know it’s a cliche but football is nothing without fans!

To me though Football started off as a working mans sport, how many of us would have supported this club like we do now if we hadn’t been taken to our first game at the Lane when we were younger?
I remember my dad taking me down the lane for the first time and from that minute I was hooked, the reality is the majority of people now wouldn’t be able to afford to take there son or daughter to there first game, i know you talk of supply and demand and your right as I had no problem paying for my ST I thought it was a reasonable amount but only as I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it, there are many out there who can’t afford such luxuries, and where does that leave us with future generations of fans, however the hard truth is the club don’t care about us as fans, they care about bums on seats and regardless of whether that person is a tourist or a lifelong fan as long as they pay the money The club is happy, fast forward 10 years though and we risk having the same atmosphere in the new ground as we have had at Wembley the last few seasons with seats occupied by tourists and day trippers, I know it’s a cliche but football is nothing without fans!

Totally agree. Once the novelty of the new place has worn off, and particularly if we are nowhere near winning a cup & still not got any money to spend on players, I can see the NWHL being Wembley-lite in a few seasons time.

The first time i see some cunt wearing a Spurs-Woolwich or Spurs-Chelsea half & half scarf inside NWHL i'm throwing in the towel.

fast forward 10 years though and we risk having the same atmosphere in the new ground as we have had at Wembley the last few seasons with seats occupied by tourists and day trippers, I know it’s a cliche but football is nothing without fans!

Ultimately I think it’s headed that way.

I got an ST at Wembley despite only having a membership for a few months. Made a mockery of the waiting list tbh.

A few bad / EL type seasons will probably give a realistic view of true supply and demand.

But if we keep competing at the CL level we currently are the club can almost charge what they want.

Right now I’m just very very happy we’re going home and I get at least 1 full season in the new stadium.

Immensely jealous of anyone who’s got a season ticket at this point! I’m going to one test event and will be grateful to get tickets for one or maybe two games for the remainder of the season. Actually forgot what it felt like to be excited to go to a game.

Back
Top Bottom