New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So here’s the thing, why *couldnt* we open the stadium for an evening match?
We might be able to. The complication is that it'll take people much longer than normal to find their way around. They won't be used to the procedure getting into the ground, won't know where their block is inside and the best turnstyle to use, won't know if they have to go left/right/up/down once they're in to find their seat, won't know how far into the row it is without stopping and checking etc. That's all compounded for an evening match because people are going to arrive relatively close to kickoff after having left work and inevitably tried to fit in a drink or two, compared to a weekend game where they could be encouraged to and probably would turn up early - not to mention that kick-off could more easily be delayed if it came to it.

So here’s the thing, why *couldnt* we open the stadium for an evening match?

Simple answer is we can ... the talk about police objections is just not true, the police are more than comfortable dealing with Spurs games, and with 60,000 crowds, they do it at the emptycrates or the athletics-bowl every weekend, some journo made this story up and it's stuck. The truth is we would like to open with a big game ideally on a Saturday / Sunday to get the greatest worldwide exposure, but we can open on a wet Wednesday v Palace or Brighton no problem ... or indeed a CL game but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Simple answer is we can ... the talk about police objections is just not true, the police are more than comfortable dealing with Spurs games, and with 60,000 crowds, they do it at the emptycrates or the athletics-bowl every weekend, some journo made this story up and it's stuck. The truth is we would like to open with a big game ideally on a Saturday / Sunday to get the greatest worldwide exposure, but we can open on a wet Wednesday v Palace or Brighton no problem ... or indeed a CL game but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Surely SKY want our opening game to be on a weekend?

Once we have a safety certificate we can hold a game at any time (although I understand probably not at the same time as Woolwich), but would I be right in thinking the test games need to be held when its light (ie not evenings ) ?

Once we have a safety certificate we can hold a game at any time (although I understand probably not at the same time as Woolwich), but would I be right in thinking the test games need to be held when its light (ie not evenings ) ?

Honestly don't know, the purpose of the test events is to complete a series of procedural tests that require physical people, entrance, egress, facilities etc. Not sure why this couldn't happen just as well in the evening as during the day ... but that's just my guess.

It was me! If you look at the kop tier, which was not included in the tweet, they compared our stand from a different angle; ours was a true cross section, theirs was from the side (as if you were looking at it from a 20 degree angle.

EFC13.jpg
Blagging fucking (blue) scousers.

I also have some doubts about the way they've done the distance from the pitch in other slides, but that's just a suspicion.

Honestly don't know, the purpose of the test events is to complete a series of procedural tests that require physical people, entrance, egress, facilities etc. Not sure why this couldn't happen just as well in the evening as during the day ... but that's just my guess.

My only logic is that if the tests didn't go to plan and there was a genuine emergency evacuating in the dark is harder/more prone to accidents/delay than in the light.

Much easier for us if we can hold test events in the evenings at this time of year - otherwise we are restricted to a weekend day when we are not playing.

Blagging fucking (blue) scousers.

I also have some doubts about the way they've done the distance from the pitch in other slides, but that's just a suspicion.
Interestingly if you try and imagine looking at their stand from a true cross section (move your view left by bringing the first line with the far line) our stand is much bigger. Looking at the technical aspects that makes sense. Ours is much bigger and holds more people. Anyway theirs will not be built.

East stand certainly hasn't been rushed.

Maybe just a case that just like football 'everyone has opinions'

Each of those cladding pieces apparently cost £4K-£7k a pop. No way it's been a rushed job the club knew exactly where each piece was being put and agreed to it
You really don't see this?
:dembelewtf:

Bf6M9cR.jpg

For reference, the East Stand cladding most definitely went up faster than the West Stand's (whether that made a difference to the builders' adherence to the stipulated layout or otherwise).

You really don't see this?
:dembelewtf:

Bf6M9cR.jpg

For reference, the East Stand cladding most definitely went up faster than the West Stand's (whether that made a difference to the builders' adherence to the stipulated layout or otherwise).
That's always been the design. Those panels can't be fitted any other way as the frame they're on accomodates them like that.

Look at this image that shows loads of panels "open":
new_tottenham_stadium49.jpg

Not an architect, but you would like to think the position of the open panels isn’t just what the builders fancy doing at the time. Perhaps the longer strip of open panels on the east stand allow a bit more natural light inside to that section of the stadium in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom