New Song for Pana?????

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

See above.

That is unless you consider you and your family's opinion the final word from Jews on the matter.

yeah my bad only just read the whole thread. the whole issue is combatting the anti-semitic abuse with pride so singing hava nagila, like calling ourselves yids, would be basically saying "yeah we got a lot of jews, and what?". thats how i see it at least.
if people know we got a jewish connection and give us abuse, its better to show we're proud of it than to respond to the abuse by cutting all our songs and pretending there is no connection

yeah my bad only just read the whole thread. the whole issue is combatting the anti-semitic abuse with pride so singing hava nagila, like calling ourselves yids, would be basically saying "yeah we got a lot of jews, and what?". thats how i see it at least.
if people know we got a jewish connection and give us abuse, its better to show we're proud of it than to respond to the abuse by cutting all our songs and pretending there is no connection
What are we actually being prideful of? The number of Jewish Spurs fans is vastly overestimated in my opinion and how many people know what the club's Jewish "links" actually are? Do you? They are almost entirely historical and not refective of the present day, nor was the club itself ever set up against a Jewish backdrop.

There is a seperate thread on here that I have particpated in dealing with "Yid". Some Jews are ok with it (mostly young ones such as yourself) and some aren't. As for the Jewish links, I have no problem with celebrating it per se, but I just don't think now is the right time or climate to do so. Unfortunately defiance against anti-semitism is a double edged sword that sometimes backfires agaunst the innocent.

Can see both sides of the argument here, i.e. not wishing to stoke the fire any further, however, it could be an acceptable subsitute to 'Y.A'. Looks a right laugh too!

Oh shit Case.

Looks like we've got a new fit fuck in town. Take the crown.

Slightly off subject- in NYC and Chicago we've been singing this for Lloris

Whoop whoop that's the sound of da Lloris
Whoop whoop another save from the beast

What are we actually being prideful of? The number of Jewish Spurs fans is vastly overestimated in my opinion and how many people know what the club's Jewish "links" actually are? Do you? They are almost entirely historical and not refective of the present day, nor was the club itself ever set up against a Jewish backdrop.

There is a seperate thread on here that I have particpated in dealing with "Yid". Some Jews are ok with it (mostly young ones such as yourself) and some aren't. As for the Jewish links, I have no problem with celebrating it per se, but I just don't think now is the right time or climate to do so. Unfortunately defiance against anti-semitism is a double edged sword that sometimes backfires agaunst the innocent.

being proud of the fact that people think of us as the jewish team regardless of if we are or not. and as far as ive heard from my grandparents, most east end jews back in the day would have supported spurs. all sides of my family support spurs, at my jewish primary school tottenham were the majority, at my synagogue tottenham is the majority etc.

when you say mostly young ones my grandpa is also happy with us calling ourselves yids. i think now is the perfect time to celebrate it as a counter to all the shit we're getting for it

being proud of the fact that people think of us as the jewish team regardless of if we are or not. and as far as ive heard from my grandparents, most east end jews back in the day would have supported spurs. all sides of my family support spurs, at my jewish primary school tottenham were the majority, at my synagogue tottenham is the majority etc.

when you say mostly young ones my grandpa is also happy with us calling ourselves yids. i think now is the perfect time to celebrate it as a counter to all the shit we're getting for it
Ironically, it was my grandfather who took the most offence to it, as did his friends and family, and consequently my mother. They were East End as well. But he got a lot of anti-semetic abuse over the years, especially when he was young and dated a gentile.

Ironically, it was my grandfather who took the most offence to it, as did his friends and family, and consequently my mother. They were East End as well. But he got a lot of anti-semetic abuse over the years, especially when he was young and dated a gentile.

my family have also had to deal with a lot of anti-semitic abuse and more than abuse but this isnt a competition of whos familys had it the worst. funnily enough, my grandpa says that "yid" wasnt always an insult and they used it sometimes to talk about old jews in an endearing way ie "hes a good old yid boy"

my family have also had to deal with a lot of anti-semitic abuse and more than abuse but this isnt a competition of whos familys had it the worst. funnily enough, my grandpa says that "yid" wasnt always an insult and they used it sometimes to talk about old jews in an endearing way ie "hes a good old yid boy"
Yeah, but its with remembering that it was used by gentiles as an insult, and that's why, to me anyway, it sits uneasy when I hear lots of gentiles shouting it at the Lane. But, like I say, there is an exhaustive thread out there. I don't mean to be rude in terms of not properly responding here, but I'm sure it's searchable and it contains my thoughts in far more detail rather than me having to type it all out again. :)

Back
Top Bottom