New Kit

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nike mmmmmm
I remember there smart arse remark about the quickest way into Europe when a certain Judas did the dirty on us.
That said, they do make half decent kits.
I still have a dream that Fred Perry start making kits. We become their first club and Courage Best becomes our sponsor .
Chas n Dave win a massive court case that proves that the Beatles,Elvis and Michael Jackson owe them billions and billions in royalties and the put a chunk of it into our new stadium which will be known as the "Gertcha" stadium.......Probably never happen though

The money can't be sniffed at but I really love what Under Armour has done with our kits and training gear. Also, I think it has helped grow the clubs reputation in the USA. UA is getting bigger and bigger and it was nice to be their main focus as far as football was concerned. With Nike we will just be another club on their payroll.

Although the quality of the early Puma kits were horrendous. Who remembers the badges etc peeling after a wash on the chocolate brown away? The material on the first Puma also felt like paper.
The first few Puma kits the material was awful. It almost felt like plastic hard to describe. To be fair their kits got better and better. The VDV Champions League year home shirts were spectacular.

My favourite since the 80's - and I can't wear it. In it's first two outings we lost 5-1 to Chelsea at Wembley and 5-2 to the Scum. I left it a while, then tried again, we lost 0-1 to WBA. I then, accidentally put it on the morning of the Palace cup game this season, low and behold we lose again.

Gutted.
Burn it now

The money can't be sniffed at but I really love what Under Armour has done with our kits and training gear. Also, I think it has helped grow the clubs reputation in the USA. UA is getting bigger and bigger and it was nice to be their main focus as far as football was concerned. With Nike we will just be another club on their payroll.
UA hasn't really done anything to promote us in the US imo. They don't have huge Tottenham displays in their stores, you never seen Spurs gear in places like Chicks or Dicks Sporting Goods, we're a footnote on their website. If you go into a Nike store they carry kits and gear of all their big clubs. Being the only soccer team that is sponsored by UA you would think they do their best at propping us up in the American sports market, I just haven't seen it.

UA hasn't really done anything to promote us in the US imo. They don't have huge Tottenham displays in their stores, you never seen Spurs gear in places like Chicks or Dicks Sporting Goods, we're a footnote on their website. If you go into a Nike store they carry kits and gear of all their big clubs. Being the only soccer team that is sponsored by UA you would think they do their best at propping us up in the American sports market, I just haven't seen it.

Can't say I agree with that fully. I will agree they possibly could have done more. I know in the first year they sponsored us I went to the match in Baltimore and they were giving away a ton of promotional stuff. I do see Tottenham gear at outlet stores occasionally. On their website under Sports category they have four links: Running, Basketball, UA Roster (athletes) & Tottenham. I would say that is much more front and center than we would get with Nike.

Personally the only Nike stuff I see consistently is stores is Barcelona and USA. I highly doubt a company of Nike's size is going to do much to further push our brand when they already have some massive clubs on the roster but time will tell I suppose. I do like their gear in general so I am not too fussed but I did like what Under Armour has done so far.

My favourite since the 80's - and I can't wear it. In it's first two outings we lost 5-1 to Chelsea at Wembley and 5-2 to the Scum. I left it a while, then tried again, we lost 0-1 to WBA. I then, accidentally put it on the morning of the Palace cup game this season, low and behold we lose again.

Gutted.

Burn it.

I agree that is is nice to be the sole focus, but Nike gets us access to a larger global fan base (including USA), regardless of where we are in their pecking order. Most soccer specific shops I go into carry a ton of brands, UA is not one of them. That is what makes it really difficult to get Spurs clothing and other items. While "growing the brand" should certainly not be the main focus, I don't believe it hurts. This is especially true of a team that is now winning and truly on the rise.
Brands also love when they have a club and a top player for that club on their roster. Harry Kane should be able to be featured in a Spurs kit in all of the adverts. This would be a marketing coup for Nike. Nike can't do that with Ronaldo, and Adidas can't do it with Messi. If Kane's stock keeps rising along with that of the club, there will be extraordinary marketing opportunities.

Nike's latest potential French offering...

OTBhFLk.jpg

I'm sure their template design will change by 2017/2018 season, I'm still not convinced and I love Nike stuff.

Back
Top Bottom