My Soldado sorrow

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
When he signed we couldn't contain our joy. Soldado was a top European striker, who had come from sunny Spain to play at White Hart Lane. Surely glory was just around the corner? Today though watching him toil away in our shirt is a sorry sight. He should have been great.

Read article

Really enjoyed all of it but thought the idea that Soldado this season has shown he's finished was somewhat harsh seeing as he's started 3 games (none in the league) and scored twice.

Good article. I feel the same about Soldado, he's a quality player but for whatever reason it's just not working out. Such a shame because I genuinely believe he has a lot of talent. Probably do a Gio when he goes back to Spain.

Great article. One of the commenters pointed out that Soldado, playing in the cups, is therefore not playing alongside Lamela, Eriksen, and Chadli. The implication being that Townsend, Paulinho et al are not giving him the service he needs, making it unfair to judge. There might be some truth in that, although tbf Soldado needs to make sure he's in the right positions also.

For our league games we need a striker who is actually going to get into the box and work with what the three AMs can provide. That should be Soldado's forte. Based on what we're seeing though, Kane deserves a chance in the league games more.

Great article. One of the commenters pointed out that Soldado, playing in the cups, is therefore not playing alongside Lamela, Eriksen, and Chadli. The implication being that Townsend, Paulinho et al are not giving him the service he needs, making it unfair to judge.

Makes you wonder what the excuse was last season when Ade and Kane came in and started scoring, and how Kane can thrive in the same team as Soldado now...?

And why he's been dropped if its likely he will start banging them in with Lamela, Chadli and Eriksen behind him?

Its also pretty amazing that for all his hardcore support, not one single person mentions Lewis Holtby anymore and thinks he would improve our AM area and get Soldado scoring.

If I was big fans of Holtby and Soldado, Id be banging that drum, but its like people have just forgotten all the Holtby hype.
Im guessing that when Soldado leaves, his biggest backers will simply forget he was ever here too.

Whats to remember.

Last edited:
When he signed we couldn't contain our joy. Soldado was a top European striker, who had come from sunny Spain to play at White Hart Lane. Surely glory was just around the corner? Today though watching him toil away in our shirt is a sorry sight. He should have been great.

Read article

I should have been a girl, but I was born with a penis. The Spanish league is very different, and we took a chance. On this occasion our gamble didn't pay off. Unless the club has endless amounts of dosh, the type of gamble we took was reckless, We should have bought an up and coming young striker from the prem, but that would have been to easy

I should have been a girl, but I was born with a penis. The Spanish league is very different, and we took a chance. On this occasion our gamble didn't pay off. Unless the club has endless amounts of dosh, the type of gamble we took was reckless, We should have bought an up and coming young striker from the prem, but that would have been to easy

And just who would that up and coming English striker be? Too easy? To find an English up and coming player is too easy? They are the most expensive unproven players on the planet, due to the low supply and high demand, and very rarely becomes top class.

If you want high risk with mediocre reward, you go for English player.

Yes, they took a risk with Soldado, but a risk pretty much the entire fan base had been screaming for for years, and that most are still asking for. And even though it hasn't panned out (yet), they were right to do so.

Saido Berhaino that's if we actually scout the UK leagues would of preferred Ryan Gauld over Eriksen as well although I am a fan of both!

Haven't seen enough of Berahino to be fully confident about this, but when I've seen him he has at best been moderately impressive. I'm thinking Bent - can be good for mid PL teams, not good enough for the top teams.

I am still hoping that he will come good, the season isn't over yet, by a long chalk. But he doesn't strike me as being the answer to our problem up front.

Back
Top Bottom