Moving on in CL vs Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do you guys think would be best for the team?
1) Finish second in the group and move on in Champions league
2) Finish third in the group and move into the Europa league with a higher chance of a trophy

Move on in the champions league obviously, it means we have to get a result at the Nou Camp and if we do that, that might give us the boost we need to win the whole thing. I understand it;s a slim chance but the team as a lot going for it.. Should we crash out the Europa will be difficult too.

What do you guys think would be best for the team?
1) Finish second in the group and move on in Champions league
2) Finish third in the group and move into the Europa league with a higher chance of a trophy

CL all day for me...If we were to go out, personally Id rather that we avoided the EL altogether.

Put that effort and energy into the FA Cup and Carabou and we could almost guarantee one of them if not both. But now we are here, I 1000% want to progress. Its what the players need.

I honestly dont think they will play as well in the EL, with half strength line ups, and slightly diminished motivation/tiredness

I want us through in the Champions league. However, there is a third option. Fall into the Europa league and just play the kids. The Europa league would be no easy win. It would leave the first team to concentrate on winning the league (in a new stadium and the added boost that would bring) whilst the rest have Europe to contend with.

Winning the prem would be my no.1 choice.

Ideally we get the result we need in the Nou Camp and progress. Not saying we will win the CL but any further progress is good experience. If we get a result away at Barcelona it will boost confidence and also the profile of the club internationally which can only help long term, not to mention the extra money we get from that competition.
Having said that if we end up 3rd and in the EL then I will embrace it and want us to do well not treat it as a burden. We will be one of the stronger teams in the competition and capable of a strong run.
I would just love us to win something this season, not fussed what so go strong in any game we are in.

Why is this even a question?

Curiosity you could say.
I think this might be the year Spurs need a trophy to keep the team.(If no trophy this year, I think there'll be a higher risk of players above 25 to seriously consider there options at the end of the season compared to recent years)

It's great so far to see the belief in the team unity, may it last.

Last edited:
Is anybody actually going to say Europa here?

I'd rather beat Barcelona and then go out to a Bayern or Real than lose to Barca and play Mainz and some dodgy Ukraine team

Curiosity you could say.
I think this might be the year Spurs need a trophy to keep the team.

Unless it’s a prem or a champions league I don’t think a trophy will have much bearing on the players that leave.

However I do think a trophy of any kind could help with the mentality of our players.

To answer the question though it has to be progress in the CL, I don’t think it’s mathmatically possible for us to drop out altogether and bypass the EL but that would be my second option.

This team would be scary in the league & cups with extra rest, we have an injured squad that could excel playing one game a week for the second half of the season.

Is anybody actually going to say Europa here?

I'd rather beat Barcelona and then go out to a Bayern or Real than lose to Barca and play Mainz and some dodgy Ukraine team
The answer is obviously Champions League, but if we were in the Europa then a game against either Celtic or Rangers would be fun.

I'm just happy we will still be in Europe in the spring, whatever happens. People make a big stink about the EL being a drain but that's only really the group stage, by the time we get to February/March a knockout tie is not a big deal.

If we do drop back to Thursday nights then we should be looking to win that trophy. Of course we'd all prefer to stay in the CL but Atletico seemed pretty happy to win the EL last season. If it's good enough for them then it should be good enough for us.

I honestly think that, apart from City, we could beat anyone in the CL on our day. If someone else could take care of the oil fuckers, then we could go far. This team believes right now. All we have to do is get past Barca!

:kanegoal: :pochohshit: :sonlol:

CL will mean less matches as there is 1 round less and to be honest depending on the draw and how serious we take it we are more likely to progress in the Europa.
I believe qualifying for CL 2 years running will increase our prestige and any further a bonus. The problem with the Europa is as we found in the past you have to play a match on the Thursday before the league cup final. What we do about that will depend on whether we actually get to the league cup final.

Back
Top Bottom