Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's not the most technical player but so much of our current playing style relies on his pure physical presence these days.

I'm just curious, but why do lots of people say that he's not a technical player? I really don't get it. His ball control is generally pretty excellent, even though for a while when he first got here he had the first touch of a donkey. I think his issues were mostly confidence-related, plus when he first arrived there wasn't an obvious place to put him.

Now that he's made CM/DM his home, there's hardly anyone I would trust more to carry the ball safely out of danger and into a counter. Is that not technical soundness? Not to mention the technique he shows on clever little passes such as the one to Lucas today.

Serious question. I know you're not having a go at him, but I see that comment made a lot, and I just don't get what you're seeing that I don't.

I'm just curious, but why do lots of people say that he's not a technical player? I really don't get it. His ball control is generally pretty excellent, even though for a while when he first got here he had the first touch of a donkey. I think his issues were mostly confidence-related, plus when he first arrived there wasn't an obvious place to put him.

Now that he's made CM/DM his home, there's hardly anyone I would trust more to carry the ball safely out of danger and into a counter. Is that not technical soundness? Not to mention the technique he shows on clever little passes such as the one to Lucas today.

Serious question. I know you're not having a go at him, but I see that comment made a lot, and I just don't get what you're seeing that I don't.
I should probably rephrase myself. Moose obviously has suitable technical ability for his position. But the way he pulls it off makes it not look like the conventional technical ability you think about when you imagine a midfielder. I think most would imagine Dembele or De Bruyne dancing around their opponents. Where as Moose is more wild limbs and force. In a lot of ways Moose controls the midfield through controlling his opponents rather than the conventional way of controlling the ball. Even tho he obviously does that as well.

I should probably rephrase myself. Moose obviously has suitable technical ability for his position. But the way he pulls it off makes it not look like the conventional technical ability you think about when you imagine a midfielder. I think most would imagine Dembele or De Bruyne dancing around their opponents. Where as Moose is more wild limbs and force. In a lot of ways Moose controls the midfield through controlling his opponents rather than the conventional way of controlling the ball. Even tho he obviously does that as well.

That does make a lot more sense to me, and I agree. He doesn't have the pure silk of Dembele, you're right.

I hesitate to make this comparison, but I see Sissoko as more of a Vieira.

(don't hurt me)

That does make a lot more sense to me, and I agree. He doesn't have the pure silk of Dembele, you're right.
There was a journalist that said something along the lines of watching Dembele was like going to the opera and watching Sissoko was like going to a rock concert. Which is a very apt comparison.

I'm just curious, but why do lots of people say that he's not a technical player?

Sissoko:

"First of all, before anything else, the compliments are really nice to hear. I am happy with my match, I was very good I think, like the rest of the team. I am happy for me, I have come a long way."
"I have had two difficult seasons here, I have continued to work, I did not quit and things are going well this season. I have always believed in myself, my team-mates and my family too, that allows me to put in performances like this one"
"I know that I am not the most technical player, best player in the world, but I play with qualities I have. I have never taken myself to be someone I am not, I give the best of me and that is how I am able to put in a performance like this, it made the coach happy."

Brings a tear to the eye...

Even his biggest fan would have said that his first season was an unmitigated disaster, the groans of despair were audible, when his name was announced.
Then last season, he was OK as a squad player, playing against the smaller teams in the early rounds of the cup competitions.
This season, he has been such a revelation, that's it hard to believe it's the same player.
99% of supporters are delighted to be proven wrong, if it means that we have a quality player at our disposal, I just don't understand the carping remarks from certain people. The guy is a beast and is all heart, long may he continue.

Even his biggest fan would have said that his first season was an unmitigated disaster, the groans of despair were audible, when his name was announced.
Then last season, he was OK as a squad player, playing against the smaller teams in the early rounds of the cup competitions.
This season, he has been such a revelation, that's it hard to believe it's the same player.
99% of supporters are delighted to be proven wrong, if it means that we have a quality player at our disposal, I just don't understand the carping remarks from certain people. The guy is a beast and is all heart, long may he continue.
He’s playing with so much confidence at the moment it’s unbelievable he’s the same player from three seasons ago. I laughed my head off when he pulled out the Zidane drag back today, it was glorious stuff.

No tekkers?!

While I have been one of his biggest fans this season, no way anyone could even imagine he could do this.

Hes Motm in almost all our matches recently or if not that, then in the top 3. Someone told me that a year ago, Id laugh at them. Incredible improvement really.

Last edited:
If anyone had said to me 12 months ago that Sissoko would be in the first 3 players they'd pick for our best XI id say they were fucking mental. Now its just fact. And ive slagged him off in this very thread and am more than happy to eat humble pie and/or shit because hes been a revelation, and more importantly a *consistent* revelation. Big games / lesser games, doesnt matter - always 100%. I salute you Monsieur Sissoko.

Back
Top Bottom