Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Far better than all the players behind him today (except Hugo), and he had to cover a lot more pitch as well, that said he's the wrong side of thirty and I suspect with only a year left on his contract come next summer he will be phased out and sold.

Despite the numpties on here with an agenda he would walk into all but the top six sides, but we are a top six side so his days must surely now be numbered.

Not our "best player" but no question one of our most important, what he lacks in ability he makes up for with heart, if a few of our more talented players had the same level of commitment we'd be a far better side.
Need add zero. 100% correct.

All but the top 6 away and I'm guessing it will be Sissoko who is dropped. Against the top 6, I can see him playing all 3 - but Winks/Ndombele is surely the way forward with Eriksen/Lo Celso just ahead.

Sissoko is a good player for us. He's not gonna score goals or get many assists but he does provide steel for us and when on form, bullies the opposition in that area of the pitch.

Criticisms of him are rather strange - I have accepted he's not gonna play a killer pass or finish a decent chance. That's just not his game or his forte. For me criticising him for that is like criticising Eriksen for being unable to assert himself physically on an opponent - that's not what Eriksen is about, nor is that his role in the team.
People are starting to buy in to the narrative/mentality of the standard hater. Focus on what he doesn't do well rather than what he does do well.

Sissoko is never going to be a killer offensive player. His strengths are in pressing oppossing players, driving the ball up field and in adding defensive steel and work rate. The more Ndombele and Lo Celso are bedded in the more likely it is that he will fall back to the bench but some of the tripe he has spewed on in him is uncalled for.

While Winks was the better player this specific match, this isnt the norm.

Based on last season,

Winks won 1.2 tackles per 90 minute with 44% success rate
Sissoko 1.4 tackles with 73% success.

Both bleh numbers and a reason why we concede so much. Dembele and Dier of 15/16 and Dembele Wanyama of 16/17 is what a real midfield should look like. Ndombele, Celso , Alli , Eriksen and even Dier would be a better option right now. (even though alli was shite when he came on).
Be good to have stats for what happened after those successful tackles. Pretty sure after Winks has tackled someone, we retain possession. And after Sissoko tackles someone, the ballboys have a bit of work to do.

No point in tackling someone to then bang the ball into the stand.

Not one of his better days yesterday. Would love to be wrong, as I love his character and effort, but maybe last season was as good as it's going to get.
Still a good squad player though, so wouldn't get rid just yet.

Is Sissoko a major factor in our demise of playing good attractive football ?
Since becoming a regular rarely dudes we
see cohesive dominating performances over the last calender year.
Ramshackle wins or usual fuck it up defeats have becoming our norm.
Personally brothers l like my cult figures a Lennon, Cobain , Bowie not a muscled hulk who can't hit a barn door.

The hate for arguably our best player last season is mind boggling. Get behind our players don't slag them off. Performances come from confidence and our fans giving the players that. Go support Woolwich if you can't do that, especially when players are giving their all.

I dont hate him, I just want him to stop getting into the box if he's utterly unable to use the ball effectively in that area. There are other things he can be doing - dragging defenders out of position, blocking runs, providing an out ball if the striker gets doubled up on...

The guy has the same amount of PL goals for us as Ndombele. He's not just messing up his own shots, he's denying opportunities for others.

The hate for arguably our best player last season is mind boggling. Get behind our players don't slag them off. Performances come from confidence and our fans giving the players that. Go support Woolwich if you can't do that, especially when players are giving their all.

He's to technically limited despite how hard he tries. He wouldn't get into any other team in the top 8 teams, therefore he's not good enough for us. It's a shame but last season he was important but only due to the utter state that midfield was. Now we have bought players to fill the gaps it's tome we upgraded on him, harsh yes but that's football

Was poor again yesterday, not had a good start to the season. Really stepped up his game last season but he has regressed again (so far) although he is still far better than the player we saw in 17/18. Hopefully he can improve so that he is a suitable back up for Ndombele but at the moment it doesn't look right.

If this form continues the issue will be to find a plan B for when Ndombele is out to play in CM position. Eriksen, Alli and Lo Celso are all far better when played further forward and I don't think a midfield of Winks/Dier, Winks/Wanyama or Winks/Skipp is attacking enough.

How on earth a Premier League footballer can get to this level without actually having the ability to shoot or pass a ball coherently is one of the wonders of football.

It is fascinating that he has spent the best part of at least 15 years of his life practicing and playing football every single day. He has worked with professional coaches, psychologists and played with some of the worlds best footballers. He's played in world cups, European cups and the champions league final and commanded a fee of 30m quid (50% more than the world pledged to save the rain forest from fire)

Yet...he cannot kick a ball at a 24' x 8ft target from a distance of 10 yards.

It is fascinating that he has spent the best part of at least 15 years of his life practicing and playing football every single day. He has worked with professional coaches, psychologists and played with some of the worlds best footballers. He's played in world cups, European cups and the champions league final and commanded a fee of 30m quid (50% more than the world pledged to save the rain forest from fire)

Yet...he cannot kick a ball at a 24' x 8ft target from a distance of 10 yards.
192 Square feet and he can't hit it.

can't fault his effort and effectiveness breaking up play, even triggering the transition but there wont be many opportunities (certainly against better teams) that we will be able to hit them on the break. He can't hit a barn door and his decision making is poor, it's like you can see him getting overwhelmed by choices and just hoofing it. You can see the frustration on his teammates... He has done well to turn around his terrible first season but I was hoping based on last year we might have been able to sell and upgrade. So he's here for the season and will always give 100% and keep running to the end, I will sing his name but is a constant reminder of poor decision making not only on the field but transfer market

How on earth a Premier League footballer can get to this level without actually having the ability to shoot or pass a ball coherently is one of the wonders of football.
I’m in a constant state of astonishment that so many top class players can still get away with being one footed. Train and improve for fuck sake. Sissoko gets away with being no footed. Please start spending an hour a day, just twatting the ball into an empty net. It might help.

All but the top 6 away and I'm guessing it will be Sissoko who is dropped. Against the top 6, I can see him playing all 3 - but Winks/Ndombele is surely the way forward with Eriksen/Lo Celso just ahead.

Sissoko is a good player for us. He's not gonna score goals or get many assists but he does provide steel for us and when on form, bullies the opposition in that area of the pitch.

Criticisms of him are rather strange - I have accepted he's not gonna play a killer pass or finish a decent chance. That's just not his game or his forte. For me criticising him for that is like criticising Eriksen for being unable to assert himself physically on an opponent - that's not what Eriksen is about, nor is that his role in the team.

Oh, come on.
No one here is suggesting that he should be able to pull off some spectacular shots a'la Alli vs Palace. We all know he will never be able to execute those.

But just putting the inside of your foot through the ball and hit the target at least now and then - that is absurdly low bar that absolutely every player should be able to surpass. It is very valid criticism, if he can't even get close to it. And your analogy is way off - as we don't expect Sissoko to hit some Puskas award-winning goals but way way way less, so we shouldn't expect Eriksen to dominate. Better comparison is to expect him to put in like ANY defensive work at all. Which he absolutely does, there is no two-way thinking about it. Sissoko finishing ability = if Eriksen would only attack and just would stand like cast into stone right when oppo get the ball.

I am not saying that we should get rid of him, or that he will not get more than few hundred minutes of playing time - no, like I pointed out at some time - he might play quite significant role still in our current squad. Just that this aspect of his play is fairly criticized. He effectively works as 3rd oppo CB if he is taking a shot - he just kills off our attack.

I like Sissoko, his contribution is immense, he does an excellent job for the team, he is decent guy and I can praise him forever

BUT he had few miss shots in front of goal. Does Poch and the coach work on that, to improve? FHS hit the target with your boot, don't hit high, don't hit wide, aim at the goal between the sticks, how difficult is that for a professional footballer!

Be good to have stats for what happened after those successful tackles. Pretty sure after Winks has tackled someone, we retain possession. And after Sissoko tackles someone, the ballboys have a bit of work to do.

No point in tackling someone to then bang the ball into the stand.
To be fair if you go backwards from our goals , you will find Sissoko's involvement in the last few passes far more than Winks. Not to say that mean Sissoko is a better passer, he isnt, but his runs and simple layoffs created more than Winks. Still it would be better to have Ndombele Lo Celso in midfield instead of either of the other two.

He was utter gash yesterday. He’s never been the most composed player, but played to his strengths (breaking rank and bulldozing his way through) he was effective last season.
Just wish the poor bastard could control & welly a football on target. His passing was awful & his shooting?
:avbfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom