Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Go read my post again. I queried the games/minutes Squawka were showing myself. Their website has been erratic since they rejigged it. But it was Squawka's stats Stopspot was using in the first place.

Only Joshing, but I thought the user sets criteria for those kinda things....

Only Joshing, but I thought the user sets criteria for those kinda things....

You set the names/the total or per game or per 90 criteria and the various stat metrics. There's no "Recoveries" option in any of them that I could find. It's a pretty meaningless stat - it's not tackles and it's not dispossessing someone - it could just mean ending up with the ball "next" after an opponent's possession has broken down?

Statsbomb evaluate pressing and pressure events - measuring how often an opponent loses possession as a result of pressure from a player, I've posted them in here (and elsewhere) and Eriksen is also ahead of Sissoko on this too.

WPKJqr4.png

gD0zSCL.png

You set the names/the total or per game or per 90 criteria and the various stat metrics. There's no "Recoveries" option in any of them that I could find. It's a pretty meaningless stat - it's not tackles and it's not dispossessing someone - it could just mean ending up with the ball "next" after an opponent's possession has broken down?

Statsbomb evaluate pressing and pressure events - measuring how often an opponent loses possession as a result of pressure from a player, I've posted them in here (and elsewhere) and Eriksen is also ahead of Sissoko on this too.

WPKJqr4.png

gD0zSCL.png

Opta has Sissoko down as the player who won us most possession last season:

D9x5F9gXoAAFl4_.jpg

Opta has Sissoko down as the player who won us most possession last season:

D9x5F9gXoAAFl4_.jpg

That’s what stopspot posted above. But what does that mean? To evaluate it we need to know what it means.

Moura won most duels. .

I’m all for using stats, but you need to qualify them and explain what they are telling us.

We've looked at the tackle, interception stats and Sissoko is 12th and 14th best in our squad (Squawka/whoscored / Opta) so what is recovering possession ? It could just mean who ends up with the ball after an opponent last touches it? Which wouldn't exactly indicate any particular ability or skill would it?

And those figures are just totals, Sissoko's played more minutes than just about all our other CM's, considerably in some cases, so what's the figure per 90, and how does that compare?

Have you got a link to this so I can look at it?

That’s what stopspot posted above. But what does that mean? To evaluate it we need to know what it means.

Moura won most duels. .

I’m all for using stats, but you need to qualify them and explain what they are telling us.

We've looked at the tackle, interception stats and Sissoko is 12th and 14th best in our squad (Squawka/whoscored / Opta) so what is recovering possession ? It could just mean who ends up with the ball after an opponent last touches it? Which wouldn't exactly indicate any particular ability or skill would it?

And those figures are just totals, Sissoko's played more minutes than just about all our other CM's, considerably in some cases, so what's the figure per 90, and how does that compare?

Have you got a link to this so I can look at it?

It was just a tweet I saw when flicking through my timeline mate. You are quiet right however, stats can be very misleading hence why I take them all with a pinch of salt. I trust them as much as I trust what I see for my own eye and there are things stats will always overlook etc, suchnas the influence Sissoko had in taking the crowd noise levels up which would inject more life into a game or the psychological effect it may have on others struggling around him to not give up such as Walker-Peters etc.

I like my stats but as you said pal I think they are and always will be limited when judging someones impact on a team. I've got no idea where this possession stat has developed from but I'm sure the figures won't just be from Sissoko just ending up with the ball after the opponent last touched it. The big man had a very solid season and dug deep even if his technical ability is limited.

It was just a tweet I saw when flicking through my timeline mate. You are quiet right however, stats can be very misleading hence why I take them all with a pinch of salt. I trust them as much as I trust what I see for my own eye and there are things stats will always overlook etc, suchnas the influence Sissoko had in taking the crowd noise levels up which would inject more life into a game or the psychological effect it may have on others struggling around him to not give up such as Walker-Peters etc.

I like my stats but as you said pal I think they are and always will be limited when judging someones impact on a team. I've got no idea where this possession stat has developed from but I'm sure the figures won't just be from Sissoko just ending up with the ball after the opponent last touched it. The big man had a very solid season and dug deep even if his technical ability is limited.

Hmmmm....noise level.....not so sure about that one. Especially if the player making the noise turns out to be not very good, then it's a bit counter productive isn't it. Didn't matter how many times we sung Super Pav, the cunt was pretty useless and didn't really make those around him much better either.

Stats don't tell a whole story, they always need contextualising and qualifying, but they don't ever suffer from opinion or confirmation bias either.

Every single stat I've looked at tells me that Sissoko did not have a solid season. And I mean every single stat, from the regular Opta stuff (tackles, interceptions, passing, receiving, passing forward, dispossessing opponents) to the more in depth stats bomb (pressure events, XGA, XGbuildup) type stuff. And digging deep is the least I'd expect from a player who doesn't excel at anything, isn't technically very good and is still getting paid 4.6m a year.

Here you go mate, found it on OPTA's web site:

Recovery
This is where a player recovers the ball in a situation where neither team has possession or where the ball has been played directly to him by an opponent, thus securing possession for their team.

Which is pretty much what I said.

Hmmmm....noise level.....not so sure about that one. Especially if the player making the noise turns out to be not very good, then it's a bit counter productive isn't it. Didn't matter how many times we sung Super Pav, the cunt was pretty useless and didn't really make those around him much better either.

Stats don't tell a whole story, they always need contextualising and qualifying, but they don't ever suffer from opinion or confirmation bias either.

Every single stat I've looked at tells me that Sissoko did not have a solid season. And I mean every single stat, from the regular Opta stuff (tackles, interceptions, passing, receiving, passing forward, dispossessing opponents) to the more in depth stats bomb (pressure events, XGA, XGbuildup) type stuff. And digging deep is the least I'd expect from a player who doesn't excel at anything, isn't technically very good and is still getting paid 4.6m a year.

Recovery
This is where a player recovers the ball in a situation where neither team has possession or where the ball has been played directly to him by an opponent, thus securing possession for their team.

Every stat tells you he didn't have a solid season yet he got awarded Player of the season by ex professionals, ones who actually played for our club who know more about what it takes and means to be a professional footballer who have lived and breathed it.

I know he has his limits and gets paid extremely handsomely but that doesn't mean players will dig deep because of it. Look at how many spongers there are in football taking teams for a ride. Alexis Sanchez, Pogba, Ozil etc, look what Rodwell did at Sunderland etc. I'm not blind to Sissoko's lack of vision or ability to do things I expect a footballer to do but he used his stronger elements exceptionally well last year and at a time where we had a huge Dembele sized hole in our midfield he surprisingly left me somewhat impressed with his contribution. I started the season seeing no future for him at the club, I now see him as a pretty important character that deserves his place in our squad.

It's a game of opinions though and I respect yours as much as I hope you respect mine and others BC

Every stat tells you he didn't have a solid season yet he got awarded Player of the season by ex professionals, ones who actually played for our club who know more about what it takes and means to be a professional footballer who have lived and breathed it.

I know he has his limits and gets paid extremely handsomely but that doesn't mean players will dig deep because of it. Look at how many spongers there are in football taking teams for a ride. Alexis Sanchez, Pogba, Ozil etc, look what Rodwell did at Sunderland etc. I'm not blind to Sissoko's lack of vision or ability to do things I expect a footballer to do but he used his stronger elements exceptionally well last year and at a time where we had a huge Dembele sized hole in our midfield he surprisingly left me somewhat impressed with his contribution. I started the season seeing no future for him at the club, I now see him as a pretty important character that deserves his place in our squad.

It's a game of opinions though and I respect yours as much as I hope you respect mine and others BC

It is a game of opinions but it's also a game of real quantifiable and qualifiable actions too. I absolutely respect your right to an opinion, but it very much depends on what that opinion is, as to how much I respect it.

Likewise Graham Roberts and Micky Hazard....

If all of you are saying Sissoko was great at something, I don't respect (or agree) with that opinion because I do not think it's founded in logic.

Please don't give that old tosh about Roberts and Hazard being experts. They are not. They played the game 40 years ago, they sat in a pub mulling on it for ten minutes and gave an award based on populism.

And it's not just stats, you can look back the last couple of pages of this thread and I've posted descriptions and freeze frames that support what I'm seeing with my eyes, that some others are not seeing (or choosing to ignore) with theirs. The stats just back that up.

Last edited:

Recovery

Sissoko top in recovery but also top in then letting the ball hit off his shin before going out for a goal kick.

It is a game of opinions but it's also a game of real quantifiable and qualifiable actions too. I absolutely respect your right to an opinion, but it very much depends on what that opinion is, as to how much I respect it.

Likewise Graham Roberts and Micky Hazard....

If all of you are saying Sissoko was great at something, I don't respect (or agree) with that opinion because I do not think it's founded in logic.

Please don't give that old tosh about Roberts and Hazard being experts. If they were experts. They are not. They played the game 40 years ago, they sat in a pub mulling on it for ten minutes and gave an award based on populism.

And it's not just stats, you can look back the last couple of pages of this thread and I've posted descriptions and freeze frames that support what I'm seeing with my eyes, that some others are not seeing (or choosing to ignore) with theirs. The stats just back that up.

Awww c'mon Blakey, don't be mad they didn't consult a true expert like yourself...

Maybe they went by the EPL stats rather than Squarker.

:ossie:

Back
Top Bottom