Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane? He looked genuinely hopeless at times.

There's a little romance attached to that notion....

Granted no-one expected the BEST center forward in the world (!!!), but his on the ball quality was rather apparent even if his goal scoring prowess wasn't....

Remember the common consensus "IF he's gonna make it here, he's better as a #10"?

That said, most us us know about as much as John Snow if we're honest.

Last edited:
As my love grows for Sissoko, so does my disdain for that villain bus conductor.

You watch a compilation like that and he'll say any player can look like that in a montage.
Not really true, because Sissoko actually does these things week in, week out yet bus conductor acts like its all some kind of video editing making him look good, but in games he's just there, being shit.

So weird.

You watch a compilation like that and he'll say any player can look like that in a montage.
Not really true, because Sissoko actually does these things week in, week out yet bus conductor acts like its all some kind of video editing making him look good, but in games he's just there, being shit.

So weird.

Brilliant sammy, see what you did there...planted the pre-defence-defence.

Because 2 minutes of YouTube (out of 94 minutes) in which he largely does ordinary stuff, and still gives the ball away about 30% of the time in the clips - is how we should judge players?

Surely, if he was doing wonderful shit the whole game, the YouTube fanboy would have included some more of it no?

I’ll stick to judging what a player does - and doesn’t - over a whole game thanks.

Hard to take you seriously sometimes Sammy. You make some good points, but some really daft ones too.

Wheres this 30% coming from. Theres about 17 or 18 clips and looks like hes lost the ball just once , other times when it looks like he has lost the ball, thats actually turned into winning a throw in or a foul and we keep the ball. Theres a reason after matches even in CL that commentators and exfootballers talk about how good Sissoko is.

Brilliant sammy, see what you did there...planted the pre-defence-defence.

Because 2 minutes of YouTube (out of 94 minutes) in which he largely does ordinary stuff, and still gives the ball away about 30% of the time in the clips - is how we should judge players?

Surely, if he was doing wonderful shit the whole game, the YouTube fanboy would have included some more of it no?

I’ll stick to judging what a player does - and doesn’t - over a whole game thanks.

Hard to take you seriously sometimes Sammy. You make some good points, but some really daft ones too.

The daftest point being made is that Sissoko doesnt contribute, while claiming you judge players on the whole game.

Whats "ordinary stuff"? Closing down space, working hard, breaking up play....his job. What would you prefer him to do, rabonas on the halfway line? Keepy Uppies?

What the fuck is Winks doing when hes not on the ball then, or Eriksen, or Kane?

Our Midfield is still not right, not dominating the oppo as we have in the past. There are few reasons for this namely a) Not pressing high with a view to winning the ball back high, b) the ball isn't sticking upfield with our AM's/Strikers as we have seen previously c) wingbacks not dominating their opposite numbers, pinning them back, again as we have seen previously

Midfield specifics: We are missing what Dembele, Wanyama and Dier brought to the midfield (various combinations here).
a) Winks: has always been good on the ball, obviously not the finished article even when talking about what he's strengths are but his use of the ball has been great, his vision for a progressive pass is getting better each game, as are his runs forward into space. His biggest weakness was what he did off the ball, namely knowing where to be, he doesn't have to be a headless chicken pressing the player on the ball, but understand that he can affect the oppo just by blocking a passing lane, or knowing when to stand a player up or engage them or recognise what play to track (oppo would always run off him), his last 6,7,8 games has seen him improve massively in this area. BUT despite this, we don't dominate an oppo midfield as we have previously.
b) Sissoko: Again improvement to his game this season has been great, NOT as big as most claim because those are the ones that have been utterly destroying him since he signed with us, it absolves their slatting him. His performances were just OK, nothing great but he did the job asked of him without ever being special, spectacular, there were no superlatives, but his performances were completely exaggerated since the day he signed. But despite him being a big awkward bastard to get past, despite him being able to carry the ball upfield, despite being really quite useful to us this season there is still something dysfunctional with our midfield that a schoolboy Midfield of Leicester was able to dominate it for most of the game. That wasn't ever in control against Watford or Wolves (in these games for significant periods it was dominated). With Sissoko he doesn't show for the ball, compare him and Winks with this regard, Winks shows for the ball ALLWAYS, Sissoko rarely wants the ball with the oppo on his back and will not move to create an angle to receive the ball (like Winks) if marked or a passing lane blocked.

I'm delighted we have Winks & Sissoko but we do have to examine the dysfunctionality of the midfield and work out what the solution is. In short, Winks is a diamond that's being polished with every minute he plays. Sissoko has been really useful and has improved his confidence if not his football ability (this can still elevate a players performance considerably, just imagine what it would have been like had fans actually laid off him and got behind him). But this midfield needs some glue, it's crying out for a baller to lift the pressure and start to apply pressure on the oppo. I love how robust this squad is, I love that despite injuries and issues this team always remains in the game, even if we aren't playing well. But we need to find a solution to playing well, maybe this will come when we are back home, with rested and fit players but I think it will come when we find a new midfielder close to the skill sets of Dembele/Wanyama for that to happen. Biggest signing we can make is a player at his peak now, just one signing who might cost a bit of money but we keep all our current options, no need to sell anyone other than Janssen, GKN, (probably Onomah, CCV??).

Our Midfield is still not right, not dominating the oppo as we have in the past. There are few reasons for this namely a) Not pressing high with a view to winning the ball back high, b) the ball isn't sticking upfield with our AM's/Strikers as we have seen previously c) wingbacks not dominating their opposite numbers, pinning them back, again as we have seen previously

Midfield specifics: We are missing what Dembele, Wanyama and Dier brought to the midfield (various combinations here).
a) Winks: has always been good on the ball, obviously not the finished article even when talking about what he's strengths are but his use of the ball has been great, his vision for a progressive pass is getting better each game, as are his runs forward into space. His biggest weakness was what he did off the ball, namely knowing where to be, he doesn't have to be a headless chicken pressing the player on the ball, but understand that he can affect the oppo just by blocking a passing lane, or knowing when to stand a player up or engage them or recognise what play to track (oppo would always run off him), his last 6,7,8 games has seen him improve massively in this area. BUT despite this, we don't dominate an oppo midfield as we have previously.
b) Sissoko: Again improvement to his game this season has been great, NOT as big as most claim because those are the ones that have been utterly destroying him since he signed with us, it absolves their slatting him. His performances were just OK, nothing great but he did the job asked of him without ever being special, spectacular, there were no superlatives, but his performances were completely exaggerated since the day he signed. But despite him being a big awkward bastard to get past, despite him being able to carry the ball upfield, despite being really quite useful to us this season there is still something dysfunctional with our midfield that a schoolboy Midfield of Leicester was able to dominate it for most of the game. That wasn't ever in control against Watford or Wolves (in these games for significant periods it was dominated). With Sissoko he doesn't show for the ball, compare him and Winks with this regard, Winks shows for the ball ALLWAYS, Sissoko rarely wants the ball with the oppo on his back and will not move to create an angle to receive the ball (like Winks) if marked or a passing lane blocked.

I'm delighted we have Winks & Sissoko but we do have to examine the dysfunctionality of the midfield and work out what the solution is. In short, Winks is a diamond that's being polished with every minute he plays. Sissoko has been really useful and has improved his confidence if not his football ability (this can still elevate a players performance considerably, just imagine what it would have been like had fans actually laid off him and got behind him). But this midfield needs some glue, it's crying out for a baller to lift the pressure and start to apply pressure on the oppo. I love how robust this squad is, I love that despite injuries and issues this team always remains in the game, even if we aren't playing well. But we need to find a solution to playing well, maybe this will come when we are back home, with rested and fit players but I think it will come when we find a new midfielder close to the skill sets of Dembele/Wanyama for that to happen. Biggest signing we can make is a player at his peak now, just one signing who might cost a bit of money but we keep all our current options, no need to sell anyone other than Janssen, GKN, (probably Onomah, CCV??).

A real smorgasbord of opinions in there, some not so clever (like the thinly disguised pop at Trippier and bit about missing Dier (part of the midfield malaise not a solution) but gave a “like” because the rest was reasonably good and at least you had the tumerity to say something reasonably realistic about Sissoko instead of the evangelical bollocks some spout in what’s become an almost parody thread.

It’s a makeshift midfield at best, we need to make major investments into our midfield in the summer. We need at least two signings.

But considering it’s a makeshift midfield, we’ve done pretty damn well as you said, haven’t we? So proud of Sissoko and Winks.

A real smorgasbord of opinions in there, some not so clever (like the thinly disguised pop at Trippier and bit about missing Dier (part of the midfield malaise not a solution) but gave a “like” because the rest was reasonably good and at least you had the tumerity to say something reasonably realistic about Sissoko instead of the evangelical bollocks some spout in what’s become an almost parody thread.
Nothing disguised about Tripps, HE'S SHIT, there hope that make's it clear.

I don't rate Sissoko as a baller BUT absolutely love what he's done this season and whilst I didn't love his prior performances he still did what he was asked to do, I recognise the difference between calamity and meh, and still I hope that I will call out/recognise when a shit player turns in a decent performance (as I always have when Tripps has played well).

There is a smorgasbord of opinions because we have a smorgasbord of issues, ranging from playing at Wembley to 37 separate injuries, to players playing out of position, to a couple of players not at the same level of those they replace or covering.

If we failed to sign a single player again in the summer, this will not cause me to go into meltdown as I believe this squad can perform even better than they have this year because with a proper summer's break (yes I know there is another International tournament at the end of the season but it's only a couple of games I think (hope). This should see Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Lloris, Toby, Son, Sanchez, Davies even Tripps given a proper break. 'New' players such as Winks, Skipp, KWP, Lucas, Gazzaniga, Foyth and Llorente all better assimilated into the squad having played some meaningful minutes this season and maybe Wanyama's long, long layoff could see him resurrected from the ashes??? I'm a Lamela fan but I'm concerned about his continuing fitness issues, IMO all consistent to a serious enough back problem, but maybe another year with many games missed is good for him in the long term??

Looking at it this way I wouldn't be upset at all if we didn't sign another player, THIS SQUAD IS FUCKING GOOD. However, to cast a critical eye over how we've played this term I can still see key areas that aren't right even when taking into Wembley, injuries etc. into account because we can look at to how we have played previously when we've played at Wembley and compare the two and I'm not talking about results, as our results have been better this season than last, I'm talking about comparing the performance's, how we've looked, how we used to flow not just in 45mins but for 90mins! And these differences IMO are FB's (our left doesn't appear to be a concern as Rose has found his form and appears to be back focused again) but most certainly our right side is way down (there's nothing new to debate on this, it's crystal clear where I stand) and despite the emergence of Winks and the invigorated confidence of Sissoko we are a baller maybe two ballers short in midfield but I wouldn't want a single current midfielder sold as this season they have shown we remain a formidable team but one that has been dominated in the middle of the park and one that has had to drag ourselves over the line.

Back
Top Bottom