Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i'm sure they score assists this way in ice hockey.
Sort of. MLS also awards "hockey assists". The issue is if it provides anything of value. If you count hockey assists as assists (which is what hockey and MLS do), is it the right way to value things? Knutson's argument is that it needs to be a separate measurement.

Sort of. MLS also awards "hockey assists". The issue is if it provides anything of value. If you count hockey assists as assists (which is what hockey and MLS do), is it the right way to value things? Knutson's argument is that it needs to be a separate measurement.
Well yeah there's a stark difference between rolling the ball to a winger who beats 3 players and sets up a goal to a defence splitting pass to a winger who squares is easily for a tap in. But then we could forge a similar argument to the varying value of a 'normal' assist I suppose.

Well yeah there's a stark difference between rolling the ball to a winger who beats 3 players and sets up a goal to a defence splitting pass to a winger who squares is easily for a tap in. But then we could forge a similar argument to the varying value of a 'normal' assist I suppose.
There are guys who do expected assist models like they do expected goals stuff, but only one has anything really public.

I love how they have to invent new statistics to verify what anyone with two eyes already knows: Mousa Dembele is a fucking god on the pitch.
The stats-obsessed side of football fandom can get a bit tiring. It's fun to dabble with it, but those who live/die by statistical analysis can seem to think they've got *the* way of gauging players nailed.

Hell, on that chart for Dembele, what exactly determines the magnitude on the scale on each stat? If you set them low enough, any player will look like a god at a glance. Why, for example, choose 2.1 dribbles as the maximum for the chart? (other than that Dembele has averaged this per 90)

It ends up looking like the stats for a pokemon.
:pochserious:

Him not shooting a lot is something Poch tells him and is linked to his health issues, the full power he unleashes when shooting can cause his hip problems to come back instantly. Something to do with an imbalance in his legs and they have worked for two years with him to get him to a fitness level that allows him to finish 90 mins without missing training the next week. If he shoots a lot he gets small inflammations on his hip and then he adjusts his position and that creates even more imbalance and so on.
There is also a tactical reason for this, in our counterpressing system Moose is the most important shackle and if he moves further up the pitch, takes a shot and it rebounds for a counter he'll not be there where he delivers his magic. Poch prefers others to shoot, while Moose needs to provide the cover and pressing to avoid fast counter attacks. Poch is a genius, the man who finally realized the use and position of Dembele, every interview he gives about Moose he's lyrical about his qualities. Every player that has every played with him says that his talent is unrivaled, Kompany once said that playing against Moose in training is the hardest job there is as you tend to get bullied in and out of possession.

Last edited:
Him not shooting a lot is something Poch tells him and is linked to his health issues, the full power he unleashes when shooting can cause his hip problems to come back instantly. Something to do with an imbalance in his legs and they have worked for two years with him to get him to a fitness level that allows him to finish 90 mins without missing training the next week. If he shoots a lot he gets small inflammations on his hip and then he adjusts his position and that creates even more imbalance and so on.
There is also a tactical reason for this, in our counterpressing system Moose is the most important shackle and if he moves further up the pitch, takes a shot and it rebounds for a corner he'll not be there where he delivers his magic. Poch prefers others to shoot, while Moose needs to provide the cover and pressing to avoid fast counter attacks. Poch is a genius, the man who finally realized the use and position of Dembele, every interview he gives about Moose he's lyrical about his qualities. Every player that has every played with him says that his talent is unrivaled, Kompany once said that playing against Moose in training is the hardest job there is as you tend to get bullied in and out of possession.

Seems a bit far fetched to me. He does shoot, he just doesn't often score. He shot this weekend just gone, not just his goal. And he shot before Poch was the manager and didn't score then either. I'm sure they do manage his hip problem in various ways, and it's likely he's encouraged to let better shooters do the shooting but I'm not sure the two things are that linked.

Seems a bit far fetched to me. He does shoot, he just doesn't often score. He shot this weekend just gone, not just his goal. And he shot before Poch was the manager and didn't score then either. I'm sure they do manage his hip problem in various ways, and it's likely he's encouraged to let better shooters do the shooting but I'm not sure the two things are that linked.
They really are linked, info comes from one of the best physios in Europe (also former physio of the belgian NT) who also said that Spurs medical team are top notch. Next couple of games watch him after he takes a shot, lots of times you'll see the pain on his face and reduced mobility instantly afterwards. It's also due to his shooting technique.

Either way, that's not the reason he doesn't score a lot, but it's the main reason (alongside the tactical element) he takes very few shots.

i vaguely recall Dembele saying he didn't shoot because he simply didn't like to. To him football was always about creativity, passing, scoring perfect team goals, and its a habit he;s not been able to break from.

there's a chance i just made all that up though.

The stats-obsessed side of football fandom can get a bit tiring. It's fun to dabble with it, but those who live/die by statistical analysis can seem to think they've got *the* way of gauging players nailed.

Hell, on that chart for Dembele, what exactly determines the magnitude on the scale on each stat? If you set them low enough, any player will look like a god at a glance. Why, for example, choose 2.1 dribbles as the maximum for the chart? (other than that Dembele has averaged this per 90)

It ends up looking like the stats for a pokemon.
:pochserious:
The way they chose the cut-offs actually was explained by the person who started the radar thing. Originally he had it as 0-highest value in Europe, but Messi made everyone else look like shit. So, he re-did it as 5th percentile of players in the league to 95th percentile. The idea was just to show who was good/crap at particular stuff in a way you could compare.

i vaguely recall Dembele saying he didn't shoot because he simply didn't like to. To him football was always about creativity, passing, scoring perfect team goals, and its a habit he;s not been able to break from.

there's a chance i just made all that up though.
I remember he did an interview where he said that the place where he played as a kid didn't have goal net, just a pair of poles, so to score you had to get the ball to touch the pole.

Any news on the injury/knock he picked up against Palace? We have nobody to replace him right now with Winks out too. Only thing I can see Poch doing is playing Eriksen further back and Son out wide.

Any news on the injury/knock he picked up against Palace? We have nobody to replace him right now with Winks out too. Only thing I can see Poch doing is playing Eriksen further back and Son out wide.

Well we could play Dier/Wanyama, Wanyama/Alli, Dier/Alli or Wanyama in DM with Alli and Eriksen in front.

Did he definitely pick up a knock?

Could have made a case for taking him off at halftime based on his first half play. Haven't seen him so off his game since Chelscum last season.

Back
Top Bottom