Mourinho's appointment - winners and losers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele will be someone JM is licking his lips to get hold of. However i think he will find his level of performance utterly unacceptable. It will be the shortest love affair on record. Shipped out next summer.

Sadly the real losers will be the youth team and anyone involved in player development.

I'd also expect to see the following shipped out over time

Wanyama, Rose, Winks, Verts and possibly Dier

not so sure about Winks, a 4-3-3 is perfect for his skill set with Dier or whoever we get playing as a DM. Jose also like experienced players so Verts may stay but just not play as much.

Wanyama is finished no matter what, his legs are gone completely.

I personally think Mourinho will give every single player a chance to prove their worth. He talks a lot of shit, but I *do* believe him when he talks about focusing on the team and supporting them in any way he can.

The important thing is when Mourinho says let’s say Lucas Moura or Verts are not good enough then Levy has to sell them ASAP, it really undermined Poch to have players in the team he didn’t want or didn’t want to be there.

Still think this whole this is only viable with a Sporting Director, someone between Levy an Jose.

I reckon Clarke will be sold before he ever kicks a ball for us. He was a Levy investment signing, that won't fly with Mourinho.

• 1Lloris
  • 2Trippier
  • 4Alderweireld
  • 5Vertonghen
  • 3Rose
  • 19Dembélé
  • 15Dier
  • 20Alli
  • 23Eriksen
  • 10Kane
  • 27Lucas

This was United boss Jose Mourinho's biggest home defeat in all competitions as a manager.

That was the 0-3 last season.
JM has to find our best RB and utilise Sissoko to the best he can be.
You would think he would refer Son to Lucas.
We were absolutely shit in that game, one of our worst performances under Poch.

Dissagree on:

Ndombele, he's not the type of midfielder that Mourinho likes. (I desperately hope I'm wrong because he's a baller)

Lucas - Is too selfish, doesn't link at all with teammates, lacks discipline and is not great off the ball. Just don't see it working for him.

GLC - I'm talking out of my arse a bit here as I haven't seen enough of him myself (everything I know about him is what I have read and from a couple of cameo appearances) so based on this I wouldn't say he's a player that will NOT enjoy life under Mourinho, I think his work rate is what will impress him but he's a chaos player.

Dele - He will shine under Mourinho. If there was one bit of player man-management during his time at Utd that went well is that he got a tune out of Lingard (who I think is completely average, nowhere near the level of Dele). I think he will play him closer to Kane but also will benefit from Dele becoming more of a diverse midfielder having him play in a deeper role the past 18mths or so.
Eriksen - He'll love him, compare him to Mata (who he loved). The big question mark around him would be where is his head at, if it's not at Spurs then he has to be moved on asap.

The killer you've missed out is Rose. He has always admired Rose and has tried to buy him whilst at Chelsea and Utd. IMO (based solely from the now TWO stories the infamous Sun and now his "I'm going to sit on my contract interviews) he is a cancer in our team that needs cutting out. If Mourinho starts to stroke his ego this could undermine him even before he starts.

What he does with Vertonghen and Toby is also of massive importance, nothing to do with playing two good CB's but it will demonstrate if he has any plans to build a team here.
I completely disagree on Eriksen, he's done here IMO.

Sadly the real losers will be the youth team and anyone involved in player development.

Again this.
Look at how large number of potential young players have been treated by Poch. Even in current season. KWP, Tanganga, Skipp, Parrott.

We were playing Championship football, but Poch still preferred to play totally underperfoming senior players instead of those 4.

Can you explain, how will youth players situation gets even worse from here???

Biggest winner is going to be Dele considering he's such a wind up merchant on the pitch.
Biggest loser is going to be Lloris, considering he's not available until at least February and Jose is going to want a more consistent GK.

Winners...

Dele - stick young and hungry enough to molded into the player José wants him to be

Dier - understanding and positioning makes up for lack of speed. Plays an above average ball from the CDM spot

Sanchez - similar to Dele. Young and raw José can mold him to be smarter without losing his physical edge

Lucas - proved he can score goals but looks lost at times. Jose will give him better instructions which will stop him from going missing. Jose will lose his work rate. A lot here just needs better direction.

Foyth - obvious football talent. Jose will teach him the defensive side of the game.

Lo Celso/Ndombele - both have shown enough quality this season for Jose to know he needs to build the CM around these two. Both with unique dribbling abilities while also having an eye for a through ball and quality for a curler

Losers...

Rose - caught upfield way too much for a fullback. Defenders get behind him too easily and I don’t think he’s stopped a cross all season. Look for no nonsense Davies to solidify the LB spot for now.

Toby/Jan - game is too fast for them. Both have gotten too soft. Vulnerable in the air

Eriksen - obviously

Aurier - too rash. No footballing brain. Hasn’t shown any signs of improving during his time here.

Mourinho has wanted to sign Moura while at Madrud and United apparently. Interesting to see how that plays out in his choice of tactics.

Wait to see if goes 4-3-3/4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 or a cheeky 4-3-1-2

We have an abundance of central midfielders. But not that many pacy wide players.
So Expect Moura Kane and son will be happy if he decides to go 3 up front.

But I think he might go 4-3-1-2. Get Dele in behind Son and Kane. Tell Kane to be the old fashioned 9 and use Sons mobility.

I think he will be looking at Dele closely. He either starts firing or get rid as he has the most potential value at his age. But will give him the chance to shine Eriksen can just fuck off.

3 midfielders makes us a lot more compact.
Dier, Lo Celso and Ndombele or maybe Winks in for one of those 2.

But no space then for Moura, Sissoko, Lamela or Eriksen in that starting 11 .

Winners - Kane, Son, Toby, Jan, Sissoko, Lamela, Foyth, Dier- all players who can follow tactical instruction
Losers - Aurier, Rose, Lloris, Sanchez, Moura - can't follow instructions, won't, can't position themselves properly with and without the ball or too many howlers.

Winners - Kane, Son, Toby, Jan, Sissoko, Lamela, Foyth, Dier- all players who can follow tactical instruction
Losers - Aurier, Rose, Lloris, Sanchez, Moura - can't follow instructions, won't, can't position themselves properly with and without the ball or too many howlers.
And Ndombele and Lo Celso? Potentially among our best players.

The important thing is when Mourinho says let’s say Lucas Moura or Verts are not good enough then Levy has to sell them ASAP, it really undermined Poch to have players in the team he didn’t want or didn’t want to be there.

Still think this whole this is only viable with a Sporting Director, someone between Levy an Jose.
The same as AVB before him.

I completely disagree on Eriksen, he's done here IMO.
He's done if he doesn't want to be here and that's fair enough and only he and the club really no what's going on.

But as a player he's absolutely in the mould of his typical playmaker, I'd go so far as to say he's more suited to his style than Matta because Eriksen puts in a shift every game. But if he wants to leave then he should leave and expect him to be out of the door asap.

Back
Top Bottom