Most pleasing aspect of last 2 seasons?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me its the fact that the club has proven to the fans that it means every word it says regarding trying to compete at the highest level.
We were not happy last season despite "punching above our weight". And we will not be happy this season without the title.

That is some statement. In 2 seasons we have eclipsed Utd, Pool and City, and now finally Woolwich. Last year it was Chelsea too.

To use a favourite RAWK comment......we have a very high ceiling.

Everyone else needs to do BIG things in the summer, even Chelsea, because that side wont go the distance again next season and they know it.

So in short, the most pleasing aspect for me is knowing that finally the phrase "theres always next year" has real meaning.

Last edited:
This is true, and something I have thought about. I have said it before, I would have rather won the FA cup and finished in the Europa league, than to come 2nd and win nothing.

Ooh that is an interesting shout. I absolutely want us to win some silverware but I also think that would signal the exit door to 3/4 players.

This season we are as good as anyone and arguably have deserved something more tangible but giving up 2nd and all it should bring........ooh.

Having lost yesterday I think it is also that defeats like yesterday have got to the point where they are actually a surprise.

Gor to say I did not see us losing but maybe that was the case for the players as well.

The nuanes of the subconscious mind are so hard to shake.

Couldn't agree more MrsP, i've loved the club for 50 years but i haven't always loved the team. This team is different, if you're a Spurs fan and don't love this team then i feel sorry for you as i have no idea what you are expecting after some of the dross we've had to endure. Starts and ends with the manager for me, transformed the way we look at ourselves, players and fans alike, long may it continue.
Couldn't agree more with you, doubt many fans can say the same thing TBH, this team and manager are fucking amazing and greatness is coming!

The team ethic is outstanding, never known anything like it in 50 years. I have seen better individual players in that time, but they have been in sides full of average or poor performers. The Team is the be all and end all, and Poch is the catalyst that has made it happen. He doesn't praise individuals as such, it's always about the team and how proud he is of all of them. I actually believe him when he talks about playing for the badge and building a lasting legacy. Every game it is difficult to choose a MOTM, there are numerous candidates. Everyone knows their job, everyone pulls their weight, everyone supports each other, we have no passengers, we are not a one-man team, no one player is bigger than the club. I fall more in love with Poch at every press conference, the guy oozes class. No stupid mind games, no blaming the ref, gives credit to the players, appreciates the supporters. The stability he has brought to this club cannot be praised too highly.
I agree with most but not totally on that one man team thing or no one player is bigger than club. At least untill I see Poch able to sub off Kane freely when he is inegfective or look completely shackled by what the other team had prepared for. Dont get me wrong. Harry is great just like all the other budding young players here but hes no God.

Having fun at games again and the unity of our club. Plus the fact that almost every player has got better 2 years in a row. The coaching set up is incredible now.

The pride. I have always loved this club but a lot of times it was hard to be proud of the side. Not now. I am so proud to be a Spurs fan. Thanks Poch.
Following on from that, i'd say that the sustained improvement over the last two or three years, (rather than us also just being another 'one-season wonder') has raised our 'profile' as a successful, winning club (in terms of matches, not Trophies just yet) and has also meant that more kids are wanting to support us as 'their club'... (always vital in terms of where the next generation of Spurs fans are gonna come from!) This should only improve when the new ground opens, 'cos there'll be that many more that can watch us play!
Of course we need to be careful and not just attract the bandwagon-jumping plastics that will follow any successful club (once they've sold their Leicester shirt on e-bay!!)

But I've seen more Spurs shirts out and about in the last 18 months than at any other time in the PL era... and not just kids... grown adults too!!
...that's not to say we didn't have fans before... of course we did... but it's the fact that our fans can start to wear their shirt with PRIDE again now... and maybe, just maybe, start to outnumber the dwindling numbers of not-so-smug Gooners, as their club slowly unravels, meaning their support spontaneously combusts in on itself!

Top four being so damn easy for us nowadays that we don't need to obsess about it.

Before Poch every season we were where Woolwich are right now - desperately hoping the last handful of games go our way, both ours and our opponents. I do not miss those days. Reaching the CL is important but I much prefer challenging for titles.

We made a huge leap under Poch and the good news is that we are still getting better.

Top four being so damn easy for us nowadays that we don't need to obsess about it.

Before Poch every season we were where Woolwich are right now - desperately hoping the last handful of games go our way, both ours and our opponents. I do not miss those days. Reaching the CL is important but I much prefer challenging for titles.

We made a huge leap under Poch and the good news is that we are still getting better.

It's mainitaining that without the revenue and the constant rumours about our players that is difficult.

The top 6 right now cannot take anything for granted.

Top 4 and good record against to Woolwich. Alls progression and our defence. Really, there iso much good stuff to get enjoy , I can't see the bad. CL was a litle annoying.

The team ethic is outstanding, never known anything like it in 50 years. I have seen better individual players in that time, but they have been in sides full of average or poor performers. The Team is the be all and end all, and Poch is the catalyst that has made it happen. He doesn't praise individuals as such, it's always about the team and how proud he is of all of them. I actually believe him when he talks about playing for the badge and building a lasting legacy. Every game it is difficult to choose a MOTM, there are numerous candidates. Everyone knows their job, everyone pulls their weight, everyone supports each other, we have no passengers, we are not a one-man team, no one player is bigger than the club. I fall more in love with Poch at every press conference, the guy oozes class. No stupid mind games, no blaming the ref, gives credit to the players, appreciates the supporters. The stability he has brought to this club cannot be praised too highly.
I agree, Poch is a gentleman but I feel sometimes. He may need to get a little ruthless. Conte conducts himself well but you know he has a smart, hard side to him. Maybe it will come with Poch. Its needed because others will takes advantage of any weakness he may show. I do believe we will achieve under Poch.

I agree, Poch is a gentleman but I feel sometimes. He may need to get a little ruthless. Conte conducts himself well but you know he has a smart, hard side to him. Maybe it will come with Poch. Its needed because others will takes advantage of any weakness he may show. I do believe we will achieve under Poch.
He's also a vain enough sod who's gone to the trouble of having a hair transplant and hoping no one would notice!
HWRVJY1I63_antonio-conte_wig_hair_transplant.jpg

Like Samson, his is weakness is his hair... or lack of!
70645634.jpg

...target that, and we may be onto something next season... (assuming Conte isn't at Barca by then of course!)

It's mainitaining that without the revenue and the constant rumours about our players that is difficult.

The top 6 right now cannot take anything for granted.

I'm not really worried about it to be honest. I think most players will stay because they know it is the right place for them to develop, we have CL and they are developing, plus the stadium and other stuff which shows the club is growing up. Financially, the TV money in insane and our matchday revenue gets a boost from next season. We don't have an out of control wage bill, but pay enough that we can compete with bigger clubs. There isn't going to be a mass exodus. I think one or two big players will leave this summer or next, but I don't see it as a big problem. Poch gets a huge amount out of players and we will have money from big sale fees to reinvest if he wants because anyone we sell is going to sell for a premium as always. There is enough quality in the squad to manage losing a top player even without signings in most positions. The only thing I am concerned about is playing at Wembley, not because of the size of pitch but because it is a massive day out for most clubs who visit so they up their game.

Has to be the development of young players and the development of partnerships..

Dier has become a magnificent passer and at times has a presence in the middle of the park reminiscent of Viera and Yaya Toure in their pomp.

Danny Rose has become the world's best left wing back. Enough said.

Dele Alli has a Zidane-esque tenacity.

Kane plays without the flair one might expect from a top goal scorer but he has an eye for goal on a par with any other centre forward in world football.

Winks is coming through and I think he will be a future captain.

Eriksen has realised his potential and is perhaps the world's most intelligent creative passer of the ball.

I don't think I've seen a more complementary centre half pairing than Jan and Toby.

Alli and Kane are at times telepathic.

And all this is on top of greats like Lloris, Dembele, Wanyama, Walker, and Lamela.

He's also a vain enough sod who's gone to the trouble of having a hair transplant and hoping no one would notice!

70645634.jpg

...target that, and we may be onto something next season... (assuming Conte isn't at Barca by then of course!)
I never knew that about him. Northern Italians are a little flash.

70645634.jpg

Wlliam Shatner wears a wig?

Back
Top Bottom