Most pleasing aspect of last 2 seasons?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am an analyser and into the psychology of sport if I am to assess myself when it comes to what I look at.

It's why Mourinho intrigues me and why you can see that Wenger's time is up. It is also why you know that Guardiola could end up psychologically battered by the Premier League. Conte, I cannot read as yet.

But the point of this thread is to ask what it is that has pleased you the most in the last 2 seasons?

For me it is just how good our players have been. The consistency has been a revelation as has been the togetherness of the group.

Of course this must be down to the manager but as a fan what I am trying to do is not go into every game expecting we will win but neither expecting us to lose.

Put simply, in the last 2 seasons we have demonstated the kind of qualities that the very good United and Chelsea sides possessed and I truly feel that we are an 'A' grade player from being the best Premier League 11, without a doubt.

That we can compete with vastly richer money bag teams because we have an outstanding manager who gets victories while playing beautiful football.

Everything I can't narrow it down - I think its a combination of things and the vast contrast to what had come before.
The manager has been incredible - from pinching 5th on the last day in his first season, to challenging last season and this unbelievable season - he has instilled work rate, commitment, consistency, technique and tactical awareness.
After Sherwood and the lows, I recall someone (possibly on here) asking nothing of the new manager but to give us a team that we could be proud of and that's what he's done. He's backed players that know the club and have risen through the ranks, he's developed players and made them better, he's brought players back from the brink of leaving and made them key parts of the team.
The players have all responded and continue t respond. they work hard and they fight for results - right until the last minutes. The players have stayed committed and even after the disappointment of last season have come back in real style.
I've seen numerous managers, players, squads, big signings over the years and I've never known this level of performance, consistency and drive. Teams that would fold from 2-0, 3-0 to draw or lose games, teams that would fail to build on wins - couldn't put a run together and were just mentally weak. Just buying players to replace other players that weren't performing - not thinking about coaching players to get the best out of them and work to a system. Seen it all over the years and can't believe the transformation.

The team ethic is outstanding, never known anything like it in 50 years. I have seen better individual players in that time, but they have been in sides full of average or poor performers. The Team is the be all and end all, and Poch is the catalyst that has made it happen. He doesn't praise individuals as such, it's always about the team and how proud he is of all of them. I actually believe him when he talks about playing for the badge and building a lasting legacy. Every game it is difficult to choose a MOTM, there are numerous candidates. Everyone knows their job, everyone pulls their weight, everyone supports each other, we have no passengers, we are not a one-man team, no one player is bigger than the club. I fall more in love with Poch at every press conference, the guy oozes class. No stupid mind games, no blaming the ref, gives credit to the players, appreciates the supporters. The stability he has brought to this club cannot be praised too highly.

The team ethic is outstanding, never known anything like it in 50 years. I have seen better individual players in that time, but they have been in sides full of average or poor performers. The Team is the be all and end all, and Poch is the catalyst that has made it happen. He doesn't praise individuals as such, it's always about the team and how proud he is of all of them. I actually believe him when he talks about playing for the badge and building a lasting legacy. Every game it is difficult to choose a MOTM, there are numerous candidates. Everyone knows their job, everyone pulls their weight, everyone supports each other, we have no passengers, we are not a one-man team, no one player is bigger than the club. I fall more in love with Poch at every press conference, the guy oozes class. No stupid mind games, no blaming the ref, gives credit to the players, appreciates the supporters. The stability he has brought to this club cannot be praised too highly.
Couldn't agree more MrsP, i've loved the club for 50 years but i haven't always loved the team. This team is different, if you're a Spurs fan and don't love this team then i feel sorry for you as i have no idea what you are expecting after some of the dross we've had to endure. Starts and ends with the manager for me, transformed the way we look at ourselves, players and fans alike, long may it continue.

For me its its a combination of loads of things. Having a manager ,who not only do i really like,but is also one of the best in the league. If not , the best.
The football is ,when at its best sublime.Having genuinely nice players(who can hate Harry Kane?) who seem to love the club as much as i do.
Seeing fellow long suffers like myself having smiles on their faces when discussing games.
I love our support and the people that packed out the two brewers yesterday(i didn't get a ticket), underlined this for me.I really hope we can turn this quality we have into trophies.Whilst no supporter of any club has a divine right to trophies,surely no rationally thinking football fan could begrudge us a few years back in the glory zone(West ham, Woolwich and Chelsea i am not talking about you,obviously).
Also being taken seriously by some pundits is nice as well.

Last edited:
each season has been extraordinary.

2 years ago, Poch 1st season, last 10 matches we got 14 pts. Fatsio and Chiriches. Burnley 0-0 and Villa 0-1 over Easter. Somehow struggled to 5th. Stoke 0-3 I'm told one of the worst away days ever. GD +5. Urgh. And even that was progress.

So many things are so much better, difficult to single anything out.

Maybe the style of play. Relentless pressure, played with passion, guts, skill and energy, and ALWAYS entertaining. We will keep going until we score, then we'll keep going some more. Yesterday, dont be fooled by the 2-0 scoreline. 20 shots, 11 on target which doesnt include 2 sitters 1st half. I wasnt at the 5-0 Easter massacre, but I cant believe we did much better than that in attempts.

Definitely giving a disagree to a stranger on an internet forum. Especially after a Tottenham win.

tumblr_m20tzhJftf1qifhfxo1_500.gif

I have to agree with some others on this. The fact our net spend on players has been almost zero, and our wage bill is so much smaller than the 5 times teams that surround, yet we still have an outstanding side. Unfortunately we have still failed to win anything, which I find quite upsetting, and we will be at Wembley next year which worries me greatly.

So much is pleasing but have others have mentioned the change of mentality that Poch has brought. For so many years we would go into matches "hoping" to win but now we go into every match "expecting" to win both players and fans alike. That is a fantastic feeling

I think next season will be pivotal though. We have to win something, this team is far too good to not put some silverware behind all this good work.

Hate to say it but as I've heard some gooners say, as poor as everyone has made their season out to be, they still could win the FA Cup and finish in 4th. That would be a hard pill to swallow considering how much better we are then them at the moment.

Hate to say it but as I've heard some gooners say, as poor as everyone has made their season out to be, they still could win the FA Cup and finish in 4th. That would be a hard pill to swallow considering how much better we are then them at the moment.

This is true, and something I have thought about. I have said it before, I would have rather won the FA cup and finished in the Europa league, than to come 2nd and win nothing.

That when we finally managed to finish above the scum, it was brilliant but kind of bittersweet: because our minds are now on catching Chelsea.

And the best thing is that Pochettino has been saying for the last two seasons that finishing above Woolwich isn't our objective, and we should be aiming higher. I always figured that was the 'right' thing to say, but he's really right!

We've killed Woolwich this year. They're having a meltdown. All those times we *almost* finished above them on the final day and we had to go into the summer disappointed: overtaking them then would have been a party for us....

But our season is far from done, and the Spurs go marching on.

all of the above plus seeing Harry Kane turn from the next Lee Barnard into a legitimate top ten striker in world football has been glorious

Back
Top Bottom