Money Ball

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dru said:
I remember seeing Comolli talk about who they were targeting for Liverpool and for some reason it stuck in my mind that they were specifically targeting players who had good injury records.
Aye, thats right.

Plus assists from crosses, hence Downing.

Pass completion and tackles won, hence Henderson.

Corners into certain areas of the box, lead to Adam.

Even though it hasn't worked out well yet, I can see it coming together for them soon.

AberdeenYid said:
Dru said:
I remember seeing Comolli talk about who they were targeting for Liverpool and for some reason it stuck in my mind that they were specifically targeting players who had good injury records.
Aye, thats right.

Plus assists from crosses, hence Downing.

Pass completion and tackles won, hence Henderson.

Corners into certain areas of the box, lead to Adam.

Even though it hasn't worked out well yet, I can see it coming together for them soon.
Oh yea, no secret there.

Remember that Liverpool is owned by the same individuals as the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox were one of the earlier teams to latch on to moneyball tactics in baseball under Theo Epstein. Historically, it's much harder to glean meaningful statistics from football which is so much more free flowing and physical rather than the set-piece plays of baseball, but Liverpool is banking on being able to do exactly that, trying to build a competitive edge by being smarter in the transfer market than other teams and building a team around numbers, focusing on under-appreciated statistics that might give the team a statistical edge on the competition.

Still think Spurs are doing it better.

As for Billy Beane, he's also a self-professed Wenger fan. :gomes:

Bleh never liked Liverpool and the fact that the Sox own them now makes me dislike them even more. Though I'm pretty sure there's nothing in moneyball strategies that justifies what they paid for Carroll :levywtf:

DCspurs said:
Bleh never liked Liverpool and the fact that the Sox own them now makes me dislike them even more. Though I'm pretty sure there's nothing in moneyball strategies that justifies what they paid for Carroll :levywtf:
I think everyone knows that was more of a Dalglish signing, than a Comolli one.

Alright, everyone. Can we all have a moment's laughter for Andy Carroll being bought for 35 million pounds?

Bearing that in mind, we'd be mad to accept anything less than an immediate 50 million pounds for any of our stars.

SanDiegoYiddo said:
DCspurs said:
Bleh never liked Liverpool and the fact that the Sox own them now makes me dislike them even more. Though I'm pretty sure there's nothing in moneyball strategies that justifies what they paid for Carroll
I think everyone knows that was more of a Dalglish signing, than a Comolli one.

Right. Like I said, obviously any moneyball strategies were obviously thrown out the window there...something that a seemingly old school guy like Dalglish would probably do.

Back
Top Bottom